The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got the drivetrain fully assembled and functional. Had to take it for a ride to test everything out. Even with fuel from April, she feels very strong. I did stop by the gas station to top it off with some fresh fuel. At the moment the hood is still off. It needs a repaint due to scratches from the storm damage in March. And you can see the mirrors are green, those are power mirrors I got from a parts car. Decided to upgrade those since the storm knocked the glass out of my other ones. Once I wash off all the greasy fingerprints and get some things painted she'll be ready to get back out. I have big plans for 2023...

20221103_115207.jpg

Alright so I made the decision to repaint the entire car as soon as Spring comes around. For the first time, I don't want the car to be black anymore. I wanted something more interesting; something that will really pop out at you. But still a sense of being subtle. I've been looking at a lot of different colors, and after months of contemplating I finally came up with the one I'll be using. This color is named Emerald Pearl. Which, not a coincidence, is an OEM Chrysler color. I went ahead and hurried to test spray both side mirrors with it and cleared before it gets too cold for the season. This color is beautiful. It's similar to the factory color on my Prelude but much darker and a much higher metal flake content. The plan is to apply it over black primer and probably use 4 coats of clear. With a cut and buff this will be really nice. I don't think I've ever seen a DSM in this color and I'm absolutely excited to see how it turns out. The roof will definitely still be imperfect because of the severity of the dents it has but I'm going to do the best I can to pull them out. I think I can straighten it up a bunch compared to how it is now. The paint looks a bit different in pictures than in person but you can still tell how nice it's going to be. Anyway, here is also an engine bay picture from a couple weeks ago when the engine was finally back together. Already since the picture I have been making changes. I'm gutting the entire drivetrain wiring harness and starting from scratch with an MS3, standing alone. I've noticed a few people looking for OEM manual ECU's and my original was still in great shape so I'll probably sell it here on the classifieds. Also the engine, trans, and nearly everything else is all coming back out as well so I can properly paint the engine bay and surrounding areas. I'll say it's really on my damn nerves how many times I've removed any given part from the engine bay, but I'm fast at it now anyway. Many more updates will come soon. Since I'm not hiding the car most of the winter like I did last year, maybe I can get something done. As of right now my '92 Eclipse is put on the backburner. It has it's own garage space to sit in for a few months or years if need be. I recently decided to 4g63 swap it since the 4g37 was roughed up. But that's another thread for a later time.

enginebaynovember12022.jpg

20221116_183550.jpg

20221116_183626.jpg

I like that color too!!! Very Pretty and can't wait to see the whole car!

I haven't had as much time to work on the car lately as I would have liked to. But it's coming along, one step at a time. I have the billet handles put in and handle assemblies painted. I had to replace some of the plastic bushings for the rods because they finally fell apart on me. Also I started chasing a growl noise from the transmission. The plastic cage on this bearing had fallen apart so I got a new bearing assembly and a new race for it. While the trans is apart I'll go ahead and install the new OEM input shaft bearing I bought a while back when they discontinued them. Once this is done the trans will be 100% good to go since I did some work to it in 2020 as well. I'm still blueprinting the rest of the drivetrain. I'm considering swapping the 10.5 pistons for some 12:1 and knife edging / balancing the crankshaft. But also I'm tired of the car being down so much so I might just get it running again first and drive the shit out of it for a little while. The whole car won't get painted until Spring anyway. Although I'm looking into fixing the body work on the roof very soon.

20221231_173407.jpg

20221231_173422.jpg

20221231_173502.jpg

20221228_161645.jpg

20221228_160812.jpg

It's been over a month since I took the trans apart and I just reassembled it today. While I was in there I noticed my reverse synchro and bearing were both damaged and finding new ones was tough but I got them. The car will be drivable again in the next couple of days. As soon as it's running, it's area in the shop really needs to be cleaned up. I also haven't been able to finish my shop LED lighting with the car in the way so that will get done.

20230131_195859.jpg

20230201_102425.jpg

20230201_172258.jpg

April 1st is test and tune night. I will be ready. I'm very excited to get the car out and see where it's at but also slightly worried that something is going to break. Weak spots will be revealed if they exist. A finished paint job is on hold until this happens.

20230203.jpg

About to start body work and making a custom front bumper. First step will be cutting away the excess material. I have my lines taped out already. There will still be plenty of airflow for the radiator and intake, but much less drag and eye sore. Going to paint the bumper before installation of course.

20230303_175236.jpg

Screenshot_20230303-180848_Chrome.jpg

Forgot to update but I got the Archer Fab spare delete panel sealed up the other day with some seam sealer. In other news I broke my transmission. Still investigating the issue but there were metal chunks in the fluid. I'm going to strain the fluid from my drain pan at some point to see what came out. Also attached is a picture of the car on this day 5 years ago. I vaguely remember the day but I do remember test fitting some Torque Thrusts before deciding to order my Konig wheels. They just had a terrible offset for this car, gave it the "monster truck stance".

20230326_105311.jpg

20230326_105414.jpg

Resized_2018_154829.jpeg

Glad but sad Solomon. Following to see what happened to the transmission. Wish you the best of GOOD LUCK!

In the midst of sorting out more trans issues I decided to make other improvements as well. Finally decided to pick up some better brake lines. The brake fade at anything above 90mph is just terrible. Just wants to pulsate and have pedal sink. It stops great at lower speeds but that's quite dangerous. I know my best option is to swap to dual piston calipers but if these lines offer much improvement then I may just leave my calipers. The lines can be used either way.

20230409_212914.jpg

But you would never drive over 90 anyway...........right..........? ROFL
Me either................:shhh:

But you would never drive over 90 anyway...........right..........? ROFL
Me either................:shhh:
You're not the law are ya?... If so, I'm only going that fast at the end of the drag strip :D
Well, assuming my transmission gives me a good pass :coy:

I hate to say it, but me and "the law" don't really see eye to eye. Those bastards thru me in jail for 3 days when I went to town and let my turbo sound off at about 11pm. Never got charged but spent 3 days and 2 nights in county with REAL criminals, so I say f*** THEM (and I really only pulled over to show my then 13 year old son what to do if you have red and blues behind you. Now he doesn't trust the bastards either!)
Now I say..........if you can catch me..........(which is a felony now, it used to just be a misdemeaner.....don't ask HOW I know) ROFL

I'm long overdue for this, but finally picked up some silicone radiator hoses for this car. Another one of those things I had to buy before their ultimate discontinuation. I ordered them from our vendor RTM Racing with the 30% discount code! Shipping from Canada to Southern U.S was quicker than expected.

As for the rest of the car, I don't even want to talk about it... LOL
Haven't done nearly as much to it this year as I wanted to, aside from getting it tuned. And put some new rear tires on it.

20231003_154709.jpg

I like the hoses. I think my next upgrade will be an aluminum coolant tank. Even the new plastic one is ugly. There's plenty of room to custom install something like that.

I've had practically no time to do any major work on the car the past few months, but I still tinker with it and make plans on what to do for when I have extra time allotted.

20231124_191541.jpg

Nice. Your persistence is admirable. Too bad you're not closer, I'd be interested in running the Edge vs this to see where it's at. The NA power has to be fun.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it would be much of a competitor against an Ecoboost, especially not if running E. It's a fun car and I enjoy playing with Hondas, those few times I drive it that is. It's probably a mid 14 second car as is and I know you said somewhere your timeslip was quicker. I need to get out and play more, though.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it would be much of a competitor against an Ecoboost, especially not if running E. It's a fun car and I enjoy playing with Hondas, those few times I drive it that is. It's probably a mid 14 second car as is and I know you said somewhere your timeslip was quicker. I need to get out and play more, though.

I think it'd be a fair match if I put it back to stock! It runs like mid-low 14's in stock untuned form.

On 87 though it runs 13.8's-13.9's with 0-60 in like 5.20-5.40 depending on launch.

On 93 it's in the low 13's, 0-60 in the high 4's-5.0's according to Dragy but it's traction limited.

On E it's honestly just a tire-shredder. Lol. With traction on E it's got the MPH for mid 12's but meh. No E around here and too much traction will grenade the rear diff(ask me how I know this. ROFL). However on E30 it kept door to door with a base model convertible C7.

But, I think it'd be fun regardless. You might have a better chance from a roll than you might think! Either way, numbers aren't everything. Only thing that matters is how much fun you have.

No build updates currently, it's wrapped up for the 2 months of winter we get around here. I will need to move it around though, when I finally obtain the needed hardware for my new bay doors. I wanted to post because it's been over 6 years now since I started this project. That's kind of mind boggling. I do need to spend more time with the car, but time flies regardless. I thought it would be much closer to a finished car by now, but I keep buying other damn cars and getting side tracked on a hundred other projects. Slowly starting to realize that I'm not as young and energetic anymore, and I can't do everything at once. If I'm ever awake past 12am it's because I stopped breathing or am willing to sleep the next morning away. I can't spend all night in the garage anymore. On a less depressing note, I've picked up a couple spare NV-T350 transmissions and am rebuilding them (prime example of getting side tracked). I'll pretty much buy every one I see at this point. They're too hard to find, even the parts, so I want to collect ones worth saving. I've also found it to be a relaxing hobby rebuilding these transmissions. I never thought I'd say that... The first time my detent balls flew across the room I thought I would hate this.

01112024-01874.jpg

Don't mind the atrociously filthy floor. This is not my home garage, I would never allow that.

I finally freed some time to get back on the bodywork. It's time to finish the spoiler delete. I was advised to use body patches rather than welding to prevent quarter panel warpage. I concur with this suggestion. I'm also deleting the antenna and rear wiper motor. Aiming for the smoothest finish possible. This is after 2 seconds per hole with the body wheel. I'll never go back to sanding blocks for the prep stage.

20240222_153551.jpg

Let me explain the 3 shades of black so it will make sense. Underneath the mounting bracket is flat black from my first spray job. Underneath the end piece is gloss black from my 2nd spray job. The outside edge is also gloss black but has been sanded with 400 grit. Not that it matters much, soon it will all be sanded away. and primed over.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back