The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
It looks like you could sleeve it like THIS, but I don't know if it is the same as the mount that I adapted.
Progress is good tho, I love seeing it!
Marty

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I got the mount bracket holes drilled out today. I also sprayed it with some glossy black.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's the sleeve I was running. It helped a lot, but as you can see there was still too much play.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
New steering wheel installed. I still need to get the horn button correctly wired up and then I'll clean everything up and get it properly torqued down.
I was feeling a little iffy about using this brand, so I got the 320S aluminum, which is one of their more expensive ones. It feels pretty sturdy.

Widgmaster

Supporting VIP
Aug 24, 2018
Sarnia, ON_Canada
I love the red stripe at the top of the wheel .. Never know when you might get air born eh . Just a suggestion .. why don`t you take that bolt to a machine shop and have a sleeve made with the correct I/D and O/D ..OR maybe you could make another sleeve to fit inside that one to take up the gap .. . Fortunate for me .. a have a buddy right around the corner that has a machine shop right in his back yard.

Fred at his Lathe ...Guy at the sanding wheel ..Billy is a welder....

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Just wanted to update with the pictures from when I swapped over to a test pipe. I installed my aftermarket rev limiter before I installed the test pipe, and as you can see it damaged the exhaust gaskets and possibly the catalytic convertor. Good thing I bought a name brand test pipe that came with gaskets and hardware.

Not to sound ricer or anything. But when racing these things matter. The stock cat weighed in at 13lbs. Test pipe weighed in at 5lbs. Savings of 8lbs.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
The radiator decided to start leaking tonight. The plastic portion is separating from the aluminum portion. And of course nobody in the entire state of Alabama has one in stock. I filled it with coolant and limped it home. I ordered a radiator and it's a few days or weeks away. I spent a little more cash on this one so hopefully it won't happen again before the radiator reaches 4 years of age. Here's some pictures on the side of the highway and also me tearing it down at the shop to diagnose the issue. I also figured this was a good time to rip out the AC condenser and crash rails.

Also if anyone is interested you can follow my Instagram account - @solomonc_dsm98

jesse12345

Supporting Member
Jul 30, 2014
Down the block, Minnesota
Keep at it man been working on mine for 2 years now and I finally got it running. I just went through your whole build from 2019 to now and I'm very impressed glad you never gave up. I wish I would of documented mine. Great job!

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Unfortunately Mishimoto doesn't make a radiator for the N/T. I had to end up buying an OEM one online. It should be fine since I don't drive the car very much. The car had the original radiator for 20 years before it was replaced. I'd be happy to even get 5 years out of the new one I bought.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
The car is stored for winter. That isn't going to stop me from ordering parts though. I've already got some stuff on the way and will be waiting until Spring for use. There probably won't be many updates between then and now. Happy holidays, and stay warm.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Today is the 4 year anniversary with the car. So much has been done, yet there's still so much to do. This Spring/Summer will be busy for me.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I pulled a valve cover from a '96 Dodge Straus 2.4. Currently a shelf decoration until the machine shop calls me back saying they've got some extra time. I'm getting the characters on the left side shaved off my a mill. The right side is staying, I like the DOHC and it's true of a 420a. Once they're finished I'm either getting it powdercoated or I'll paint it myself. Not sure which direction to go with that yet but I like the idea of doing a custom paint color, possibly with metal flake. Surely it will be ready by the time the weather warms up a bit.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
The input shaft bearing for these cars was recently discontinued. When I heard news of that I started shopping immediately. I only found 1 in stock, and I had to take advantage of it. I may have one of the last new-in-box OEM Mopar input shaft bearings for an NVT-350. I'm not going to put it to use until I feel absolutely necessary, because finding a new one from here out may be a pain!

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I coated the valve cover and got the right sized breather filter for it. I'm still working on figuring out the pcv setup, but as soon as that's figured out it's going on the car. I think the coating turned out great since it's my first time trying this color/texture.

I haven't updated much this year. Been focusing on a lot at once. Still trying to make time for the ole Eclipse though.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Pretty big updates coming soon.

There's a series of events and a lot of thought that lead to this. But this car will be transformed into a dragger. (Yes, a drag racer). I've already got the needed parts in mind to get something going here. At a certain point I realized it would never be the quality of show car it once had the potential to be. So my alternative choice is to race the hell out of it.

To those of you that don't know, the car obtained some storm damage a couple months back. Roof damaged in multiple spots, as well as a busted quarter window and cracked rear spoiler. This was one of the many determining factors to strip and race the car.

If I can't win the shows, I can try to win the races. At some point in the near future I want to purchase another Eclipse in good shape and have that one as the purpose built showcar.

The build thread will still be updated. But much less of "here's how I made it prettier" and more of "here's how I made it faster".

I've always tinkered with it to push a little extra power, but spent plenty of time keeping the looks up to par. At this point I just want to haul ass. If I can't enjoy it one way I'll enjoy it another. The worse it looks the better, it'd be humorous to have a racer with a junkyard appearance (although it hopefully won't look that bad)

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
Dude, that sucks about the storm damage. :( Do any of the yards around you sell whole cars? I remember you posted some pics a while back showing some decent looking shells. Could those be of any help for you?

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Dude, that sucks about the storm damage. :( Do any of the yards around you sell whole cars? I remember you posted some pics a while back showing some decent looking shells. Could those be of any help for you?
I'm just shopping for a minty 2g. It will be the nicer one. No sense in attempting to repair mine once again. It's still a complete, running and driving car. Just with some possibly unrepairable damage. Still potential left to be a race car though.

2 Eclipses. One to race and one to show. Sounds like a dream to me :idontknow:

ec17pse

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
Hey...that plate looks like the floor pan from the 2 Fast 2 Furious movie. Are you going to paint it green?ROFL
Foot area vs spare wheel cover are 2 very different things.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds