The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Solomon's 2GNT Build ('98 RS)

Year
Model/Trim
Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
Nope. Still about 250 on it. Been building a Nissan KA24DE and a racind go kart.

Gonna be really busy and might not stop by the forums for a long time. We'll see though.

midwestmopar

Proven Member
Feb 14, 2020
Commiskey, Indiana
I'm in the same boat, every since my car turned out to be a heartbreaker its been pushed outside and ive been working on other stuff, it had been about 3 weeks since id been on here so i figured id check out what everyone had accomplished.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
HUGE update on this build. Engine crane will be in motion soon!

I've got a few high performance parts lying around. I'll have some pictures when the block and head come back from the machine shop. I pulled the engine from a '98 Neon R/T and decided to go all out on it. No more bolt-on Eclipse for me. I'm looking to make a few more horses and hopefully be more reliable.

Last edited:

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm daily driving my Eclipse now that I'm not worried about whether the engine blows or not. With the new engine I'm building, I'm taking things very seriously. Corners will not be cut and nothing will be re-used unless it is rebuilt or machined. Hopefully the engine will be completely sealed, and make more power!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
I picked up my head and block from the machine shop today.

I had them mill the head as much as they possibly could. It was milled until the machine was right on top of the intake valves. I also had them weld the plugs closed so it could handle higher stress levels.

The block is bored 0.20" over, electronically honed, and resurfaced.

Soon I will get the block painted and start the assembly.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
Made some progress today. First I painted the block. Then got the main bearings installed, crankshaft installed, bedplate installed, sealed and torqued.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
I had to go to 5 different autoparts stores before I found some assembly lube. Today I started filing the pistons rings to proper specs... it won't be long before I'm yanking my old engine out and swapping parts over, like the headers and tb.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
Are you going to turbo it in the future or leaving it NA?
I'm running a high compression ratio. So for now I'm keeping it N/A. I'm going to squeeze every last horsepower out of this engine, and then I'll see about going turbo.

Last edited:

hughes_22

Probationary Member
Jul 4, 2018
Milton, Florida
Hey man, love the backstory and progress! My car was a similar find, just needed some quick fixes to get it running and driving, but then I started to hit the issues of lack of maintenance by the previous owner(s). After reading every post of this build, you've pretty much inspired me to get my own build thread done. Had the car two years now, and a lot of changes. My direction is more stock building for a daily driver, with very modest mods.

One question I had is what paint are you using? I know a similar question was asked, but it was just about the "how" and not the "with". My engine is currently at a machine shop, so I'm trying to get all the dress up done while the car is up on stands.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
One question I had is what paint are you using?
Are you asking about what paint I used on the exterior of the car? I just used some generic Rustoluem Jet Black. It's not the best stuff but it got the job done. At some point I'd like to get a higher quality paint job.

hughes_22

Probationary Member
Jul 4, 2018
Milton, Florida
Yes, correct. I had to do some minor fixes on the body of mine, and the paint I used as a temp fix has faded to a very very dull, almost colorless paint. I actually have the same paint gun you do, did you thin the paint with anything specific?

Also, do you have seat covers? They look like they fit extremely well.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes, correct. I had to do some minor fixes on the body of mine, and the paint I used as a temp fix has faded to a very very dull, almost colorless paint. I actually have the same paint gun you do, did you thin the paint with anything specific?

Also, do you have seat covers? They look like they fit extremely well.
I used mineral spirits to thin the paint.

Yea I have some $20 seat covers. They fit extremely well and look great for the price.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
Decided to port the heads. Trying to squeeze every last horsepower out of this engine. Also I made some progress on the engine. New water and oil pump is installed. Also got the rings gapped and the pistons dropped in. Oil pan and heads should go on tomorrow.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm ordering a set of PT Cruiser lifters. They have a much larger hole, so the top end will be lubricated much better. Just a matter of time before I rip the old engine out.

midwestmopar

Proven Member
Feb 14, 2020
Commiskey, Indiana
Sup man, I also took a small hiatus as well, looks live you've began a nice stock pile of parts while I have neglected my eclipse in that time haha. I didn't see any updates on autocross stuff. did you run this year at all? I'm excited to see what this new engine has instore for you.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Make sure to "dress" the return oil holes in your block for optimum return of the oil in the top end. I don't know if you have thought of it, but on my Small Block Chevy motors, I try to smooth the casting area for good oil return and I also paint the lifter galley (it is slanted on a SBC) so the oil rolls right back into the pan as soon as possible. I have never had any paint flake or any issues internally as long as it is prepped just like a good paint job and using engine enamel. On the 420 I don't know if paint internally is needed but it is some of the stuff I do to other engines.
Good luck and good progress Solomon!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds