The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good idea not welding the hatch i had to buy a junkyard hatch from not knowing better a few years ago, warping the hatch stupid bad. I should have used those patches rather than fiberglass and resin. Looks like way less of a mess. What are you planning to do with the spoiler?? I love that low rise look.

Getting to the nitty gritty of the body work. So far most of the original seam sealer seems to be holding up but there are some small spots that need attention before thick coats of sealer and primer. I haven't started sanding much besides the quarter holes. Disassembly comes first.

Also, does anybody have a GS or GST parts car? I'm looking for rear spindles. I'll be adding a rear sway bar during reassembly. I plan to post a WTB ad soon but am in no rush. A quality finish will take weeks or months at the rate I'm able to work on it.

20240229_122452.jpg

Getting to the nitty gritty of the body work. So far most of the original seam sealer seems to be holding up but there are some small spots that need attention before thick coats of sealer and primer. I haven't started sanding much besides the quarter holes. Disassembly comes first.

Also, does anybody have a GS or GST parts car? I'm looking for rear spindles. I'll be adding a rear sway bar during reassembly. I plan to post a WTB ad soon but am in no rush. A quality finish will take weeks or months at the rate I'm able to work on it.

View attachment 723299
If rust doesn't bother you I do have a parts car.

The body patches have been great. Lots of soft block sanding is required for a proper contour, but I like how easy they were to deal with. On to the antenna hole now.
I'm debating if I want to also body work the hatch or just get a carbon fiber hatch. I'm not looking forward to paying the price for a carbon unit so I may just work with what I have for now.

20240302_195808.jpg

20240302_195823.jpg

This is a loose install, just for mock up purposes. It would appear this is going to work. Rear spindles from a Mitsubishi Diamante will indeed bolt up to a 2g DSM. That's the only vehicle at the yard today with parts even remotely close, so I'm ecstatic that this worked out. I'm still searching for a rear sway bar because the Diamante rear sway bar is extremely different and will not bolt up. Now it's time to strip the spindles down and renovate them. First steps will be bushing removal, sandblasting, powdercoating and polyurethane bushing installation. I'll have them looking and performing as if they hadn't sat outside for 27 years before I permanently install them.
One small thing to note. The Diamante rear rotors are 258mm in diameter while the 2G GSX rear rotors are 262mm. But that shouldn't be a problem since GSX rotors will fit perfectly on the hub. The calipers appear to possibly be different but if the GSX calipers bolt to the Diamante spindle I will use them for a maximum upgrade.

20240318_203749.jpg

20240318_203623.jpg

Gosh, these parts have spent some winters in the North. Can't wait to have them blasted and coated.

You got me wanting one of these 2GNT's to play around with for a daily. If I could find one in decent shape that was M/T I'd buy it up.
Eh, they're fun to play with but not a smart investment. I've obviously enjoyed them since I've spent over 6 years fooling with multiple of them. But dollar for dollar, you'll always get a larger return with the turbo models. This particular car won't leave me in the foreseeable future and will continue to improve, but normally I see the high mileage stock examples as nothing more than a good first car for a teenager or a temporary beater for someone low on funds. If you're willing to spend a bunch of cash you can make these into well performing vehicles, but it isn't worth it on paper. I still think they're ALL cool and unique rides but the 420A turds are for a smaller market.

Eh, they're fun to play with but not a smart investment. I've obviously enjoyed them since I've spent over 6 years fooling with multiple of them. But dollar for dollar, you'll always get a larger return with the turbo models. This particular car won't leave me in the foreseeable future and will continue to improve, but normally I see the high mileage stock examples as nothing more than a good first car for a teenager or a temporary beater for someone low on funds. If you're willing to spend a bunch of cash you can make these into well performing vehicles, but it isn't worth it on paper. I still think they're ALL cool and unique rides but the 420A turds are for a smaller market.

I don’t want it for performance, I want it for a slow but fun daily that has better gas mileage than 18mpg city. Lol.

I have the DSM and the Edge for turbo performance.

I don’t want it for performance, I want it for a slow but fun daily that has better gas mileage than 18mpg city. Lol.

I have the DSM and the Edge for turbo performance.
I did use this car as a daily for 2 years before I lost my marbles. It never really gave me issues besides old parts retiring and did get acceptable fuel consumption. I wouldn't necessarily convince you not to daily one as long as you know how to maintain shit. You know, a similar year model HONDA CIVIC would get you better fuel consumption. But those are literally everywhere. 2gNT's are not. And when it comes to basic tune ups and repairs, you could probably teach a baboon to do it.

I did use this car as a daily for 2 years before I lost my marbles. It never really gave me issues besides old parts retiring and did get acceptable fuel consumption. I wouldn't necessarily convince you not to daily one as long as you know how to maintain shit. You know, a similar year model HONDA CIVIC would get you better fuel consumption. But those are literally everywhere. 2gNT's are not. And when it comes to basic tune ups and repairs, you could probably teach a baboon to do it.

Hondas in NW FL are idiotically priced. A POS dented knocking same gear civic would be $6k.

If I score a passable 2Gnt for like $1500 that needed some engine work I’d jump all over it.

Hondas in NW FL are idiotically priced. A POS dented knocking same gear civic would be $6k.

If I score a passable 2Gnt for like $1500 that needed some engine work I’d jump all over it.
I think Hondas everywhere are idiotically priced. They're very practical and reliable, and everyone knows it. The only reason I have two of them now is because the precious owners didn't know what they were worth in a modern market. I was actually going to use twice the funds to get another DSM.

Scrubbed, rinsed, and two quick coats of fresh rugged finish. This didn't cost too much stress or ache since there were no existing compromises. I mainly needed a clean surface for the coating to adhere to. I honestly could have skipped this step, but decided to improve "while I'm in there". It looks new again.

20240325_151400.jpg

20240325_151539.jpg

20240325_152542.jpg

I finished melting and pressing out all of the bushings tonight. I had to melt the center sleeves out since most of my press adaptors are flat, then I was able to press the outer sleeve. Melting these bushings was actually quite easy. Once their temperature gets high enough, they will inflame and totally burn themselves. Just laid them on the concrete and let it burn until they fell out. I'll be painting the control arms and trailing arms before new bushings go in.

20240325_191617.jpg

Disassembling the Diamante spindles for sand blasting, I realized they are almost identical to the 2G drum brake spindles. Because of this, I will be using the 2G spindles to run my disc brakes. The caliper bracket mounts just bolt to the backside of the spindle via the hub bolts. Which will directly bolt to the existing 2G spindles. Other things I noticed are that the 2G spindles have additional curvature to allow for wider tire fitment, and also are just more stout. To the scrap pile the Diamante spindles go. I didn't like the corrosion level anyway. Soon I should do a write up on this. Very few parts are actually needed for this conversion and a spindle swap is not necessary like everyone believes.

20240405_164616.jpg

20240405_164716.jpg

20240405_164702.jpg

20240405_164629.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back