The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Soldering ECU harness - good idea/bad idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Madman_

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2004
Riga, Europe
I finally found 97-99 ECU connectors from junk-yard for my '96 DSM to replace the bad ones on my car. Actually, 1 of them (the one with injector wires and power wires, pins 1-26)

And today my car refused to start because of poor injector wire contact, so I have no other way than to try to fix the connectors (Driving with injector wire coiled over the nail which is pushed right into destroyed connector is not funny...).

So, the idea is to splice the wires, take off around 1 inch of insulation, bend them together, heat them, and then use the solder over the heated wires to solder them.

But few friends of mine have scared me that soldering ECU harness is a very bad idea. They said that soldered joints tend to break on vibrations, and, also, that car can catch fire. One friend told me he caught the smoking harness just in time to stop the full blown fire.

Are those more like an urban legends or is there some truth behind all that? Should I solder the connectors tomorrow, or should I avoid it at all costs?

It seems your friends don't know how to solder. Soldering is always the right way to make a proper electrical connection.

make sure pencil is at operating temp some take a while. its not that hard but some how some people seem to mess it up alot. twist wires together. touch solder to tip of iron and touch to the bottom of the connection. wait for a sec, youll see the solder start to flood the wires then add a little more not too much! then heat shrink that and your lookin like new. so easy. if you do it right your car will not catch on fire. like the guy said above soldering is superior over any other connection.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back