The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

SOL: Hard starts, bad idle, bucking, (check engine light?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudebk

Probationary Member
May 24, 2003
OhioUS
Hello y'all,

My first post, perhaps worthwhile to some.

I'm quickly and rather unexpectedly becoming quite enwraped with my other half's '93 Ealge Talon DL. I guess everyone needs something to do, right?

(All info is approx 65 deg. F)

Last week she came to me and reported the following:
Very poor idle (both at start and WOT)
Bucking in 1st and 2nd gears

Early this week she added this info:
Stalling at stop lights
Stalling shortly after starting
Check engine light on

I checked the error codes from her ECU and read out as follows:
*IAT sensor
*Idle speed control motor
*Engine coolant sensor
*Barometric pressure sensor

I checked all of the sensors, all tested out fine. My next illogical sense was her plugs, wires, dist., & rotor. Replaced all, cleared ECU... No success. I even toyed around with the BISS.

I then did some further research (Chilton's stated in the book if the ECU gives erroneous error codes, replace the ECU), discovered a few web sites that gave the general discription of the problems her car was experiencing and I decided to replace the ECU (a costly decision on a smaller budget.) I opened the computer up and found a fried surface mounted capacitor to be burned crisper than burned toast.

After replacement, the car fired right up. Took it around the area, no probs. Even the initial bucking in low gear, which we thought might be clutch related, disappeared.

I believe that her computer was locked in WOT mode (from the dead circuit on her ECU) because it was a dog just to get started. When it was at WOT, no real probs.

Unfortunately, her car intermittenly is a little rough to start while cold. Perhaps the ECU on these vehicles uses running data to determine adequate air/fuel ratios from previous recordings? The frequency of these hard starts is also becoming less and less frequent. I guess maybe I'll rip off and clean out her TB. WTH, got nothing else better to do this Memorial Day weekend. Gives me an excuse to drink beer.

Later,
Brian

So much you learn too late...

Drinking a couple for you. Hangover's yours.

Thanks Kevin!
Brian

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back