The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

So what are you working on that’s NOT your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Did an oil change on this big bi*** this morning. Pretty reliable for a 20 year old vehicle with 135k over the last 5 years, even tho some of the OEM parts from the dealership feel worse than Autozone quality... Fairly easy to fix.

Last edited:
I'm playing with the 2018 TaoTao Targa 200 in hope's I can get her to turn over smooth and fire up. Super cheap stuff (about $100 as compared to DSM parts $1000's).
It is hopefully going to replace the Carter Blue 3 seater I have.
I'm slowly learning a few things about GY6 powertrains.

Parts: ($100 or so)

Had the Audi RS3 in the shop last night for last minute checks before it goes racing in the half mile event tomorrow. My son removed the exhaust and went out to test hit the car and it ran WORSE so he pulled back in and we all reinstalled the back half of the exhaust, got a revised tune from his tuner that shifts the car at a set RPM instead of MPH and all seemed to be good to go!
Good luck son! There are cars there with more HP, but his car is a solid 750 itself, so it is NO SLOUCH! Mid 10's on low boost setting. :cool:
Dad ❤️

Had the Audi RS3 in the shop last night for last minute checks before it goes racing in the half mile event tomorrow. My son removed the exhaust and went out to test hit the car and it ran WORSE so he pulled back in and we all reinstalled the back half of the exhaust, got a revised tune from his tuner that shifts the car at a set RPM instead of MPH and all seemed to be good to go!
Good luck son! There are cars there with more HP, but his car is a solid 750 itself, so it is NO SLOUCH! Mid 10's on low boost setting. :cool:
Dad ❤️

I love those little RS3s. Epitome of a pocket rocket when you start modding them.

And its MODDED......but, the little Red Talon had something for it if I hadn't have hurt the bottom end. :cool: I was thinking of running the Talon in the event but I goofed that up a couple months ago so maybe next year. :(

Cab corners and rockers. Good practice on the winter work truck for when I have to do it on a nice car

Just got off the Dyno with the new engine for my race car. Just a few more things to go over before it’s race next month.

Ran out of turbo easily. The Garrett G42-1400 wasn’t even close to being enough.

Last edited:
My old AC unit wasn’t working when we got home Friday. We have been “camping” downstairs with a window unit. About to replace the transformer that I discovered to be bad in a few minutes.

Nothing worse than AC going out. At least down here. Run capacitor isn’t swollen yet but looks pretty rough, I’d replace that. Cheap insurance. Just replaced BOTH my split systems the last year. :banghead:

Nothing worse than AC going out. At least down here. Run capacitor isn’t swollen yet but looks pretty rough, I’d replace that. Cheap insurance. Just replaced BOTH my split systems the last year. :banghead:
Thanks, I’ll go ahead and order one. It’s running now, it was that transformer at the top that powers the thermostat. You can see that fan relay (I think) has been swapped out previously, and a few years ago we had to change the outside unit. I’m just limping it along for now.

Once it turned on, the thermostat was reading 82 in the hallway (that’s next to the room we have been using with the window unit) and 91 upstairs.

Thanks, I’ll go ahead and order one. It’s running now, it was that transformer at the top that powers the thermostat. You can see that fan relay (I think) has been swapped out previously, and a few years ago we had to change the outside unit. I’m just limping it along for now.

Once it turned on, the thermostat was reading 82 in the hallway (that’s next to the room we have been using with the window unit) and 91 upstairs.
I feel you. Limped both mine along for years replacing everything from fan motors to cpu boards. Got to the point I wanted AC all summer and stop f@$king with it. That 15k + coulda went a long way on the Talon though…;)

Been well over a decade since I've had a DSM to work on, but that doesn't mean I've stopped messing around with cars.

No pics, but did rear struts on my 2011 Lancer GTS after work today. Going to do the fronts tomorrow.

For the car having just over 110,000 miles and living the entirety of its life in southwestern PA everything came apart nice (except for the right rear sway bar link....). The first strut was a bit of a struggle due to my stubbornness. (something I struggle with in many aspects of life LOL) I didn't look anything up because I figured it's just struts, but I went about it wrong. I couldn't get the LCA to drop enough to get the strut out, so I thought taking the sway bar link off would give me the flex I needed.

After a battle with some heat I finally got the nut off, only to find out I still didn't have enough flex. That's when I looked it up and saw all I needed to do the whole time was take the bolt out from the LCA to knuckle. I wasted at least 30 minutes, but live and learn. I also ran into an issue when reassembling the new strut. I got all KYB struts and strut mount kit, but OEM topper and spring pad. The strut mount kit is a metal bushing, with a series of rubber bushings. What was in the kit was WAY too tall and it took me way too long to realize one of the lower rubbers was actually two pieces. It seems the kit fits two different models so they include extra pieces.

Then I start to tighten down the top nut only to realize in my hungry, sleepy state I forgot the top washer. The nut was stuck so I have to hold the top of the shaft and take it back off with a ratchet wrench. I tightened it back down and reinstalled.

Having all the knowledge now I was flying through the left rear. When I took the old one out I saw something that made me realize I still messed up the right one. The top washer was put on upside down when I reassembled it, so after I finished assembling and reinstalling the left one I had to remove the right one again, compress the spring, fix the washer, and while I was doing that realized I had reused the original nut instead of the new one so I put the new nut on.

I'll just say that working on your car after an 8 hour work day, and a VERY long work week, while hungry (I threw my lunch away after a few bites because it wasn't appetizing) is not a good idea. Hopefully after some rest tonight I can do the fronts without too much struggle. I suspect I'll have some issues with the front sway bar links so I am prepared for it. I have new links anyway. After the struggle with the right rear link I'll probably go ahead and order new of those as well.

I also plan on cleaning up and painting the LCA's (front and rear) along with subframes and the brake calipers to help with rust prevention. There is a little bit of surface rust on everything, but its not bad because I try to get it cleaned off every time we get nice weather after some snow.

Figure I may as well take care of the car. I've been dumping money into the projects so I need to take care of the car that takes me to work and all my other hobbies.

In 7 years and 62,000 miles of ownership all I have done to the thing prior to this is regular oil changes, put a battery in it and put a clutch in it at 90k. I drained and replaced the trans gear oil when I did the clutch. The coolant was "replaced" at 88k when I smashed a deer and took out the radiator (amongst other parts)

Next on the agenda is to take a look at motor mounts and then maybe replace the mid-pipe in the exhaust.

A little late getting the season started but finally wrapped this project up and brought it down here last weekend with my buddy’s Ram 3500. Unfortunately with the size of the 3500 it wasn’t moving anywhere I wanted it, so had to save that job for a real truck. We got this wild idea to put it up on the concrete pad for now but got sketchy as in all seriousness I didn’t think the old Ranger had enough oomf to drag this behemoth up the hill (pics don’t show how steep it is). As I was getting it straightened out to make a run up I was already on an upward slope, so I gave the old 3 liter Taurus engine hell from there and right up it went. I wouldn’t have believed it had I not lived it.

No camping or BBQ for me...
This decided to start leaking and destroyed the floor before we noticed. I'm currently on round 3 of attempting to fix the cause. After this attempt I'm going to glue it all together with a big tube of "Right Stuff" just like some novice mechanic or DSM Graveyard employee.

No camping or BBQ for me...
This decided to start leaking and destroyed the floor before we noticed. I'm currently on round 3 of attempting to fix the cause. After this attempt I'm going to glue it all together with a big tube of "Right Stuff" just like some novice mechanic or DSM Graveyard employee.

That drain hose should be routed up high where it goes through the cabinet and then back down where it connects into the drain.

That drain hose should be routed up high where it goes through the cabinet and then back down where it connects into the drain.

Ok, thanks. I didn't do the initial install but I can cut a new hole and reroute it.

Last edited:
Working on our 2001 Nissan Frontier Supercharged, unfortunately it's not a fun job. Replacing the knock sensor that went bad and it's buried below the SC and every other plenum, sitting on top of the block.

It's still a nice break from the VR4, every bolt comes loose like it's supposed to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back