The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

So what are you working on that’s NOT your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I finally tore into the grand cherokee I had gifted to me. I drove it home and it wasn't to bad still had good oil pressure. I guess it was alot worse than I thought.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well I finally tore into the grand cherokee I had gifted to me. I drove it home and it wasn't to bad still had good oil pressure. I guess it was alot worse than I thought.

Oh, daaaaaaaaaamn!

Still playing with cars, just different ones. Got the 2 step on the SBC 400 in the son's Z28 working. No boost on her but it's cool to get it "ready......maybe?"
He set it all up, just in case of blower or turbo action. :cool:

Finished up these headlights

As for these wheels I swapped the M7 hardware for M8 which seemed more proper. Time to strip the faces and get the barrels cleaned up

Finished up these headlights

As for these wheels I swapped the M7 hardware for M8 which seemed more proper. Time to strip the faces and get the barrels cleaned up

Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out because those headlights look damn good.

Does he know it's mandatory to have a mullet..
He's lucky he has his moms hair! The older son has mine. I "used" to have a mullet, LOL, but now it is thin, receding and not getting any better. The oldest son HATES it because he is just 30 and looks like my 60 year old hairline, poor kid. :p

:notgood:

Any idea WHY it happened?

Any idea WHY it happened?
Two ways, either it was overrevved and it floated or it overrevved and the lifter pumped up. Maybe 3rd reason related to the lifter but I haven't thought of it yet. Replaced the rockers and rod and misfire went away but did sound like a slight lifter tick. Didn't get to check it, anything deeper and car lot said they would take it to Dodge under a powertrain warranty.

Rotated the tires on the edge, might change the oil too a little early before the trek to Daytona and back. Got to use my new Jack, which is awesome and lifts sh*t 30 feet off the ground(at least it feels like it).

It also sounds like rolling thunder over a field of exploding bombs when I drag this thing on this 70's concrete(you know the kind with rocks all in it, not level and smooth).

Changed the engine oil/filter, cleaned the K&N air filter, and also drained/filled the PTU(aka electronically controlled transfer case) with some new, fresh fluid in the Edge. It's all ready for a nice trip to central Florida and back to get my spare transmissions. :)

Was stoked to see the fluid that came out of the PTU looked almost new. And it's like 10k-20k past when I wrote down that it was due to change it. SUPER happy seeing that, because these PTUs are extremely finicky.

My wife's Prelude is like having an older step-child that respects you but doesn't exactly like you either and feels the need to showcase that once in a while. On the good side, she rarely breaks down, but when she does, she usually waits til Im the one that is driving, so that I can be the one to blame :). But this time, when my wife was on her way home from a solo cruise, the o-ring on the oil cooler went and she dumped about 2 quarts on the way home and then barfed another quart in the garage over the next day which is what caught my attention.

On the base model prelude, changing the o-ring for the oil cooler is an easy 5 minute job, but on the SH model, you're at the mercy of when she decides she's done punishing you because the ATTS system is always in the way of EVERY easy thing that you need to do. :banghead:

1. ^^^ Looking at the back of the engine close to the firewall, gotta cracked the 30mm nut loose for the oil filter housing which Honda engineers decided to take a common maintenance part (oil filter) and bury it into oblivion.:mad: Had to use a breaker bar with a 3in extension and a 30mm socket because I broke my flexhead ratchet and never bought a new one. It wasnt on very tight once I was able to maneuver down there.

1. ^^^ Hand has to go through the small opening above and to the right of the cv boot.

2. ^^^ The o-ring has to go on the inside of the cylinder in the midde of the photograph.

3. ^^^Not much room to rotate the oil cooler to put the o-ring in and there is also a coolant hose on the other side that is going to snap the oil cooler back into place when you let go... so its totally a job where you have to feel your way because you're also not getting a second hand in there and once your hand is in there you're gonna lose about 95% of visibility. I have large hands because i'm 6'5", but luckily, i have very long alien-like fingers to reach in tight spaces.

4. ^^^I took this picture because I couldn't see well enough to tell whether the o-ring was still there or not. Took me a few minutes to realize that the old one was complete flat, hard and had fallen out on its own when i removed the oil cooler from the block and didn't discover it until it got wrapped around one of my fingers when i was trying to retrieve the new ring that had fallen out of place.

Ive got it back together now, but since i moved my workbench with drawers to the basement and have my tool scattered everywhere, I couldnt finish the job yesterday because I couldn't find what i did with my torque adapters since I have to tighten it back to 54 ft/lb. The o-ring seems seated correctly after pressing it into place against the block, so hopefully it doesn't leak when i start it up. Fingers crossed. Not too bad for an amateur, so definitely patting myself on the back :)

Great car if you can find one, just make sure you opt for the base model because the SH is a spiteful bi***.

Side notes:
At least 5 new derogatory words were created during this repair and Honda engineers damned to hell on 3 occasions. :D

It makes me appreciate this forum so much more because looking for information on Prelude forums always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Most of the information and write-ups stops around 2011, the pictures didnt survive in most of the threads and lots of threads that end up with no answers/resolutions. Worst of all, doesnt seems like there are any freelancers devoted to keeping these cars running.

Last edited:
My wife's Prelude is like having an older step-child that respects you but doesn't exactly like you either and feels the need to showcase that once in a while. On the good side, she rarely breaks down, but when she does, she usually waits til Im the one that is driving, so that I can be the one to blame :). But this time, when my wife was on her way home from a solo cruise, the o-ring on the oil cooler went and she dumped about 2 quarts on the way home and then barfed another quart in the garage over the next day which is what caught my attention.

On the base model prelude, changing the o-ring for the oil cooler is an easy 5 minute job, but on the SH model, you're at the mercy of when she decides she's done punishing you because the ATTS system is always in the way of EVERY easy thing that you need to do. :banghead:

1. ^^^ Looking at the back of the engine close to the firewall, gotta cracked the 30mm nut loose for the oil filter housing which Honda engineers decided to take a common maintenance part (oil filter) and bury it into oblivion.:mad: Had to use a breaker bar with a 3in extension and a 30mm socket because I broke my flexhead ratchet and never bought a new one. It wasnt on very tight once I was able to maneuver down there.

1. ^^^ Hand has to go through the small opening above and to the right of the cv boot.

2. ^^^ The o-ring has to go on the inside of the cylinder in the midde of the photograph.

3. ^^^Not much room to rotate the oil cooler to put the o-ring in and there is also a coolant hose on the other side that is going to snap the oil cooler back into place when you let go... so its totally a job where you have to feel your way because you're also not getting a second hand in there and once your hand is in there you're gonna lose about 95% of visibility. I have large hands because i'm 6'5", but luckily, i have very long alien-like fingers to reach in tight spaces.

4. ^^^I took this picture because I couldn't see well enough to tell whether the o-ring was still there or not. Took me a few minutes to realize that the old one was complete flat, hard and had fallen out on its own when i removed the oil cooler from the block and didn't discover it until it got wrapped around one of my fingers when i was trying to retrieve the new ring that had fallen out of place.

Ive got it back together now, but since i moved my workbench with drawers to the basement and have my tool scattered everywhere, I couldnt finish the job yesterday because I couldn't find what i did with my torque adapters since I have to tighten it back to 54 ft/lb. The o-ring seems seated correctly after pressing it into place against the block, so hopefully it doesn't leak when i start it up. Fingers crossed. Not too bad for an amateur, so definitely patting myself on the back :)

Great car if you can find one, just make sure you opt for the base model because the SH is a spiteful bi***.

Side notes:
At least 5 new derogatory words were created during this repair and Honda engineers damned to hell on 3 occasions. :D

It makes me appreciate this forum so much more because looking for information on Prelude forums always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Most of the information and write-ups stops around 2011, the pictures didnt survive in most of the threads and lots of threads that end up with no answers/resolutions. Worst of all, doesnt seems like there are any freelancers devoted to keeping these cars running.
My God, may my wife never decide to get one of these. I may have to consider breaking our marriage agreement of working on anything she buys. Just kidding, but like you I'll be inventing new words when I work on it.

Playing with this old Honda (1987 Accord Hatchback, 4 cylinder FI, 5 speed) that my son picked up for $500. We used vinegar to remove the rust from the gas tank (which worked pretty dam good TBH) then he utilized electrolysis on it with a 12v battery and a cathode to get as much rust off/out as possible, now it is sitting with the POR15 gas tank kit that has to dry for somewhere around 95 hours or something like that before fuel is put in it. I have to say, the POR15 treatment worked really well and we can put fuel in on Monday, I think. The rust got in from a 1" hole in the gas filler neck that had been that way for at least 10 years. The rest of the car is pretty good for being an antique. He just wanted a 30-35mpg car instead of the 20mpg Infiniti I30 I got for him back when he was still in school.

Side notes:

That's the first time I've seen DSM wheels on a Prelude. Honestly looks good.

I thought the same thing! :thumb:

She wanted to try them on a couple of months ago, so i swapped them just to see if they would fit. But I think I need centric rings? because of the 64mm(Prelude)/67mm(DSM) bore size difference. Ive been looking for a set of aftermarket wheels that i like so she can keep them or find a second set of 2g chromies locally, but havent found (had money to devote to it) either.

@BLACK'98DSM
Do you have a go-to place for ordering OEM Honda parts for your Prelude? Hadnt noticed that my local place seems to have shut down since this car hasnt needed work in a while.

Last edited:
Pictures of the Super Rusty gas tank on the 1987 Accord and how Trevor progressively cleaned it. He said it was about $150 for the complete POR15 kit that included degreaser, etcher and the sealer, all POR15. The 1st pictures are of how the white vinegar worked then it progresses to the electrolysis and finally to the POR15 treatment.
Just so everyone can see how the different things worked. Also the new "used" filler neck that has been POR15 treated too. :thumb:
Marty
Edit: the last picture in this set is the original gas filler neck end, you can see the rusted opening that was letting moisture get into the tank (and the gas in it STUNK so bad). :barf:

Last edited:
Pictures of the Super Rusty gas tank on the 1987 Accord and how Trevor progressively cleaned it. He said it was about $150 for the complete POR15 kit that included degreaser, etcher and the sealer, all POR15. The 1st pictures are of how the white vinegar worked then it progresses to the electrolysis and finally to the POR15 treatment.
Just so everyone can see how the different things worked. Also the new "used" filler neck that has been POR15 treated too. :thumb:
Marty

Wow, that worked really well :thumb:

Last edited:
We were surprised by all the different things we used. 10 gallons of vinegar at $3.25/gallon worked surprisingly well but the tank had HEAVY RUST as you can see. We did vinegar for 4 days. He did the 12v battery electrolysis for 4 days also, and it took off the heavier stuff. If you just had light rust, vinegar works. Heavy rust, definitely use electrolysis. He went thru 3 cathodes in 4 days.

Testing the two step hit in "Ole Rumbly", the '86 Z28.
She runs good enough to make a S10 V8 Swap think twice. :thumb:
We'll get her to back to the track soon! She's no slouch.
Marty and Trevor

Went and got tires put on the ole DD Lancer yesterday. She needed it too. Got a lot of rain and it was dancing on the way to the shop.

We were surprised by all the different things we used. 10 gallons of vinegar at $3.25/gallon worked surprisingly well but the tank had HEAVY RUST as you can see. We did vinegar for 4 days. He did the 12v battery electrolysis for 4 days also, and it took off the heavier stuff. If you just had light rust, vinegar works. Heavy rust, definitely use electrolysis. He went thru 3 cathodes in 4 days.
I’ll ask I’m sure not everyone here knows. How does the electrolysis work exactly Marty?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back