The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

So I need to drain old fuel out of my tank, but......(dumb question inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2004
D/FW, Texas
Picking up a project DSM tomorrow that is plagued w/ various fuel system problems that are too off-topic to get into in this post....
Long story short, I will need to drain the old gas out of the tank and fill 'er up with some fresh 93 octane...

So here comes the dumb question.....

...wait for it....

Ready for it...? ...okay...

After I drain the gasoline, what in the hell do i do with it? Will a gas station or Jiffy-Lube type place dispose of it for me? There are animals in the neighborhood (and I don't want to blow up my driveway :p) so I'm not just going to dump it somewhere....I'm not really sure how much is in the tank, as the gauge doesn't work (haha. good times)....But I'm pretty sure it is at least 1/2 tank of gas that is at least as old as November 2004. So it's gotta go.

Point and laugh at me all you want....I hate asking dumb questions, but I would definitely appreciate a response. haha.

WTF

I heard about someting in the engine bay on the firewall that you plug something in and you can drain it out through the line up there. Sorry to be so vauge I cant rememeber where i heard that. I think it was on that website where you can click on a part and it told you about stuff. Again sorry im sure someone will know exactly what im talking about. LOL!

I do know how to actually drain the fuel....My 1990 has a drain plug on the actual gas tank...so no worries there.
I'm just wondering what to do with the actual fuel once I've drained it....i.e. how to dispose of it.

:p

lawnmowers and weedwackers use gasoline. Put it in a can and use it. Or burn it slowly.

put it in a ford, with good gas...it'll be fine, or just use it to cut the grass and shit.

If you have another car, it'd be harmless to burn it through about a quarter-tank at a time.

Good on you for thinking about it instead of just dumping it. Although the animals in the area would avoid it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back