The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

So I just priced out my suspension upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Better yet, skip the tower bars, AGX's and front swaybar, apply the savings to a set of Koni Yellow's. Also, look into the 26mm Whiteline adjustable rear swaybar that is made for the Galant VR4, if they still make it.

And just say no to inexpensive coilovers. Ask me how I know...

This.

It all comes down to what you expect from them.

If you're just looking for a nice, adjustable drop, then the cheap ones will do. Might not last forever, but for the price, you can replace them in a few years.

But if you want something for competition use, something that will perform the same way again and again, race after race, weekend after weekend... you're better off spending a couple extra $$$ on some quality parts.

Just because you didn't have issues, doesn't mean they're good for everyone.

There is a difference.

And this.

As was already mentioned, the rear Koni Yellows were discontinued for the 1g, but if you can find a set I wouldn't use anything else unless you are trying to drop a lot more money.

AGX's are really not all that nice they, like most Asian designed dampers, have too much compression damping. Translated, they ride harsher than need-be using a given spring rate.

This morsel may help anyone interested in Koni's:

So in reading through a galantvr4 thread, it appears the 2g rear Struts fit the 1g/vr4 rear + they have the added benefit of being able to adjust them with a turn of the knob unlike the 1g specifics in which you have to remove them to adjust them.

"vr4play
816/1000

posted 11/02/10 05:27 PM
I believe they may be a little shorter but if you are lowering your car that is a good thing. They also have better dampening than the 1g rears and you have to make your own bracket to hold the brake line. I am using ground controls and they are working great. My shop is only about half hour from Koni North America and a lot of the guys who work there bring there cars to us for alignments. I called and talked to one of the guys I know there after I had my 1g shocks here and we got a 2g in and I set the shocks next to each other and thought they would work. He agreed and swapped me out. The awesome thing was the 2g rears were cheaper. The shaft is bigger so you have to use the sleeve that is supplied with the shock in the upper mount. I am not sure if they would work for a car without coilovers but if I remember right the perches looked like they would be close. "

Autocross suspension setup Page 2 | Galant VR-4 > General VR4 Discussions | GalantVR-4.org Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Forum

Pulled it from this thread:http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/381739-koni-yellows-discontinued.html

Seriously consider this option instead of buying all the lesser crap first, then longing for the good stuff anyway.

Cool thing is, Koni's can be rebuilt and if you decide to opt for adjustable ride height later, a set of Ground Controls on the Koni's are apparently the shizz.

Yes, I too long for said setup.

I didnt like my AGX's at all.... even it its softest setting the ride became worse than the stock OEM shocks that were blown... i used some GR2's instead than sold the car.... if i were to do it again i would go with koni's, the AGX's don't seem to dampen at all

What are the thoughts on
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

This is what i had planned on running. Ive heard good things, they're also 20lbs lighter then oem.

AGX and spring combo is going to run $600+. For another 200 you could have a ful coilover.

The full coilovers have to blow away agx's. Isnt agx just a slightly "better" oem replacement?

The AGXs are adjustable. You are thinking of the GR-2s

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back