The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

SO How does the viscous LSD work? AWD ALL the time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94'TSI'AWD

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2009
central point, Oregon
since my 94 TSI has a viscous rear LSD doesn't that mean that only both back wheels will spin at the same time as the fluid in the diff gets heated up or enough force is applied to the diff fluid that it hardens and causes is to be AWD? My car is AWD but for some reason i managed to do a burnout in gravel doing a very very "Light" launch. All that happened was i spun tires and threw gravel everywhere. I thought we were suppose to have maximum traction all the time?

My 91 has the same LSD, Apparently while I was curiously searching youtube on Awd launches, There are some clips showing the launch in slow motion and I noticed that not all 4 tires spin at the same time. The tires take turns spinning from the front then the back. So all 4 tires don't spin simultaneously from what I've noticed so far.

if your front wheels are spinning at 20rpms, and your rear wheels are spinning the same speed, your LSD doesnt lock. if youre on ice ripping the hell out of it, and your tires are going different speeds, your LSD is going to lock when the fluid starts swirling, and start unlocking when the difference drops back down to none/some.

have you ever read a Jeep owners manual? it says when you put it in full time (locked) 4WD, youre not supposed to go over like 40mph or something like that. its because its fully locked and any wheels spinning at a different rate will destroy the transmission/coupling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back