The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

so how can i legally drive this car home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephroth57

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2002
Barnegat, New_Jersey
ive had my black 1g sitting at my uncles shop for like a year, i finally put the money into it to fix it and i want to bring it back home to sell it i got a couple people already interested. so its about an hour away, the plates on it are expired and it has no insurance cause its been just sitting there. So, how can i just drive this thing home so i can have people come to my house and check it out and buy it? Is it legal to put my plates from my red car on it just for transporting it home and what about insurance, or registration?

If you personally have insurance on yourself, dont some insurances cover other vehicles? I know when I bought my car I drove it home and around town for a few days with no plates or insurance, and got pulled over at least twice. I just had to show a proof of purchase, (signed sheet of paper) which isnt even a problem for you. I would say with only an hour, just drive it and with any problems chances are you can exlpain it with a legitimate excuse.

--Kyle :talon:

assuming the car is in your name, why not just take the title to the department of licensing and take care of it? then call your insurnace company and put it on for a week. if you have people interested in buying it, you're going to want it insured for test drives anyway. don't switch your plates. if you do get pulled over, you're going to have big problems when the plates don't match the car.

bigemrich said:
If you personally have insurance on yourself, dont some insurances cover other vehicles? I know when I bought my car I drove it home and around town for a few days with no plates or insurance, and got pulled over at least twice. I just had to show a proof of purchase, (signed sheet of paper) which isnt even a problem for you. I would say with only an hour, just drive it and with any problems chances are you can exlpain it with a legitimate excuse.

--Kyle :talon:
When you buy Insurance, you are actually paying to insure the car, not yourself. Of course you, yourself are insured but the insurace goes on the car. For example, when you go to a car dealer and test drive a car, YOUR car insurance does not appy, it is the dealers. If you total the car you are test driving, the dealers insurence pays 100 percent, because the CAR is insured, but thats not to say they wont come back and sue your ass for totaling their car.

With that said the car needs to be insured, so the easiest way is to have it towed. If something happens to you and that car is not on their policy your S.O.L. Plus, if you dont have the plates regestired to the car, I wouldnt chance. My dads a cop and I have been in this situation before and he told me if you want to risk it your an adult thats your problem, some cops will let you go when you tell him the whole story about what your doing, some wont care and go by the book, and slap you with a couple thousand dollors in fines.

I could trailer it for you, for a small fee. I live in central NJ and have a flat bed trailer that can handle a DSM. I used the same trailer to bring my car home after I bought it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Maybe later this week or weekend if you're interested.

yeah i just called my insurance and they said it would have to be registered for them to insure it, so that sucks cause im gonna sell it anyway i dont wanna pay 80$ to insure then sell it. i was talkin to the kid that wants to buy it though were prolly gonna work out something where he will buy it off me and then go register and insure and then ill take him up there to let him drive it home

Do you know anyone who works at a car stealership cuz if you do they got "temp" plates that you could slap on a cow's ass and it would be street legal. Good luck getting them to let you use it if you know anyone.

you can go get it and have someone trail your a** like they were stuck to you like glue orrrrrrr have it towed

drive it!! i drove mine 7 hours home from MD to NY when i bought mine. no cops gave me tryouble. if you get pulled over you will have a good excuse

I did what Irrational is talking about, my one buddy owns a garage / towing service and I put on his towing / salvage plates. Not 100% illegal or legal, But it works.

I drove mine home, it was about an hour away, and I had a friend follow me in his 90 AWD. I also had plates from a 93 talon awd on my car.... but they didn't really help. I might as well have had plates from... a Chevy Corsica

go to the DMV and request temporary "In Transit" plates. I've seen them in NY. My friend put them on his 1000hp Chevy SS with a Edlebrock 555 motor in it while he drove it around for a month during the summer. I don't know how he got them though, but i believe you just request them from the dmv. might need to pay a fee.

My dad was just driving about half a mile to get gas a few days ago, and one of the headlights decided to go out. Well, a new cop in town seen him, and pulled him over, and got him for no insurance. However, we are selling the truck, and it has been setting in our back yard for a while. $360...

The guy was acting very strange too. When my dad was trying to get his licence out, the cop was leaning up against him... :|

i dunno id stay tow it but than again.. id drive it myself, its only illegal if u get cought ROFL

Boosted90GST said:
i dunno id stay tow it but than again.. id drive it myself, its only illegal if u get cought ROFL

gj at bringing up a dead thread. im willing to bet the thing is sitting in the dude's driveway right now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back