The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G so confused no OBD2 fuse fusable under hood not working.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncarson91

Proven Member
Jan 2, 2021
north olmsted, Ohio
Ok so i did a mistake grounded diagnostic to set idle. here found i dont need to for 2nd gen oof my mistake newbie paying the price now. anyways swapped a relay around got my interior lights to finally come on. radio dash turn signal headlights backup lights ect ect all powers no problem. diagnostic port wont work now, and the fuse fusable under hood has 0 power to it using a test light. power locks wont work now either. fuel pump isnt priming. and car wont crank nothing.

Well as far as the OBD port, usually on most cars and trucks the OBD ports power is shared with the cigarette lighter if it doesn't have it's own fuse. I can't confirm that on a DSM as I haven't had it lose power before, but just putting that out there.

What specifically did you ground? Did you just pick a

On the 2g turbo the diagnostic port pin 16 is from the 10A "Door Lock" fuse in inside fuse box which also powers the door locks..
makes sense bc everything powers on but my OBD now and it wont crank so assumption a relay or fuse. i opened up ecu thats fine i did have to replace 1 fuse under hood might have to again.

i did have to replace 1 fuse under hood might have to again.

It might help those playing along in the audience to know exactly which fuse you had to replace.

Ok so i did a mistake grounded diagnostic to set idle. here found i dont need to for 2nd gen oof my mistake newbie paying the price now. anyways swapped a relay around got my interior lights to finally come on. radio dash turn signal headlights backup lights ect ect all powers no problem. diagnostic port wont work now, and the fuse fusable under hood has 0 power to it using a test light. power locks wont work now either. fuel pump isnt priming. and car wont crank nothing.
Let's start again.

What was the car doing. Was it evening running? And all you did was click off the box in ecmlink and now nothing works? What exactly got you to this point? When you say car doesn't crank does that doesn't turn over at all? Engine turning over is generally called cranking. You may experience no cranking at all or a crank but no start condition. Does your check engine light come on at key on and go off after 5 sec?
Please give us ALL the information so we can help you.

No. no crank. no start. yes it was running but had to pull trans off bc my friend forgot the throwout bearing.

Put it back on filled it up with fluids had 1 plug swapped around and accidentally forgot the connector that goes from battery to firewall. Other was crank one was swapped wrong oops. Shit happens I’m a newbie.

Now it won’t start crank nothing. Interior lights only come on with passenger door open not with driver.

I have 4 gauges wired in. I followed the guide on here for the wideband splice to one of the wires going into ECU. Another used as cig lighter power source, then other two is a adapter that plugs into fuse box inside in blank spot.

Lights work. Turn signals, reverse lights, radio cluster lights, and all four gauges work. Everything but cranking. As soon as I go to turn car on dash goes black, no prime to my fuel pump usually does for split second. Nothing and my OBD does not work also.

I clicked ground ECU to diagnostic in ECMLlink, heard fuse pop under hood, the 30amp ignition one. I replaced it and still nothing. Battery fully charged I used a test light to test n see where power was going. Don’t have anything atm to test voltage. Will tomorrow.

Fuse fusible does not light up my test light besides 1 fuse high beams. Interior nothing lights it up but all my lights and stuff go on besides floor lights when driver side is open. They turn on as soon as passenger opens but not driver. And door locks don’t work. That’s all I can really say I know 200%

It’s a new MFI relay for fuel n such.

But yes, it was running was great sounding beastly just needed to set idle. That’s why I took trans on then off in a day bc my friend was helping n forgot throwout bearing mind you he’s a certified tech. I’m a dude that’s bored n want a fun car. He should know better. Anywho, after I got it back on when to ground diagnostic to set BISS idle boom fuse blows now I got this garbage of a headache.

Lastly, before I left my shop 40 mins away from me. I pulled ECU n checked it. Not damaged, no burns, no foul smell, nothing broke. Looks mint. Yet everything disconnected lights were still on n such 🤷‍♂️

No check engine light nothing. When fuse blew it was on for coolant temp and crank sensor? Vanished after I clicked keys back

Did find afterwards my cig lighter wasn’t grounded with the gauge wired to 12v power which obviously I went over and did today. Re did my battery ground and one on trans also redid the ground from intake manifold to firewall

Last edited by a moderator:
If you try and start and your dash goes black you have a wiring problem or your battery is dead. Did you install all that stuff after you did that transmission?
Give us a comprehensive timeline here.

no gauges first way before. and sry idk what you expect from me im just as clueless as you are trying to guess it. and yes id go to crank it or start it whatever you wanna call it and it goes black then when i let off all lights are back on floor dash headlights tail radio

no gauges first way before. and sry idk what you expect from me im just as clueless as you are trying to guess it. and yes id go to crank it or start it whatever you wanna call it and it goes black then when i let off all lights are back on floor dash headlights tail radio
you need to go back over your grounds and connections and make sure battery is charged. Battery can have just enough juice to turn on stereo, interior lights etc. But as soon as you make big demands (starting the car) everything will shut down if batter is near dead or if connections are bad.

What I was trying to get at is cause and effect. We understand you did all these things but did any of that cause what you're seeing or not? Thats what I meant by timeline. I would say you may have multiple problems but first off you absolutely have a connection or battery problem or both. Get the car to turn over hard first. I can also tell you the car will never run right until you give the ecu what it needs. It needs input from every sensor to adjust air fuel ratios under all conditions. ECU reads air mass flow (via pressure, temp and volume sensors in the MAF), coolant temp, o2 sensors, throttle position, crank position, cam position and MAP sensors. All of this lets it control fuel and ignition. Thats the basics of fuel injection, Information in (sensors). Output to components, injectors, iginition coil, idle speed control.

Thats woefully oversimplified but right now you don't have basic power to the car. Start there.

well i have a egr delete fiav delete abs cruise control air conditioning all deleted

you need to go back over your grounds and connections and make sure battery is charged. Battery can have just enough juice to turn on stereo, interior lights etc. But as soon as you make big demands (starting the car) everything will shut down if batter is near dead or if connections are bad.

What I was trying to get at is cause and effect. We understand you did all these things but did any of that cause what you're seeing or not? Thats what I meant by timeline. I would say you may have multiple problems but first off you absolutely have a connection or battery problem or both. Get the car to turn over hard first. I can also tell you the car will never run right until you give the ecu what it needs. It needs input from every sensor to adjust air fuel ratios under all conditions. ECU reads air mass flow (via pressure, temp and volume sensors in the MAF), coolant temp, o2 sensors, throttle position, crank position, cam position and MAP sensors. All of this lets it control fuel and ignition. Thats the basics of fuel injection, Information in (sensors). Output to components, injectors, iginition coil, idle speed control.

Thats woefully oversimplified but right now you don't have basic power to the car. Start there.
i did just go over my grounds yesterday as well tho so thats 1 thing off my list

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back