The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

So any one else get hassled about gettin an import id love to hear the stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a buddy that was saying how dsm was crap and all this stuff. He is a Honda guy of course and i gave him a ride. He was like its okay not that fast. And the next day my brother was telling me how he was looking for a Talon and trading his honda in for one! I started to laugh my *** off.ROFL But of course he never got one!

Best comment i've gotten on my car in 2 months so far, "your car is cool but the fin looks hella beaner"... -__- My car is bone stock and disgustingly clean, I almost hit my passenger eject button but refrained cus she's hott. I'm sure there are plenty more to come, especially when i throw my turboback on : )

i come from a town of around 2k people in it all rednecks no class or general car knowledge at all but this conversation really REALLY cracked me up here is the full conversation between me and a redneck from my town

Dustin Crocker Cummins got You smoked bud

Brian Hawkins
dustin i worry about you bud, im sure you were dropped on your head. if you knew anything about anything youd quickly realize that in terms of gear ratios and sheer weight to torque youd lose HORRIBLY think about it that car weighs as much as your bed and 1 tire. and still has a ####ton-o-torque even without the turbo then considering the work thats done to it. you could tow your truck with a stealth bomber and still lose.... LOL

Dustin Crocker u gotta realize the the gears in my trk alone has u woped not including the money that I have in the motor alone not including the trans bud. I would hve u off the line and smoking the tires off of my trk not including all the horses/torque comming out of it so keep dreaming there slick.

Brian Hawkins LOL nope im all wheel drive and lighter with just as much torque and 3/4 of the horse power you got ima take off like a ####in bullet and not spin a tire.

Dustin Bernard i would put my money on a boosted 4cyl over ANY diesel! my plain jane toyota smoked a cummins the other day. stupid redneck thought he was all that with the loud turbo and nasty black smoke puffin out the back. just wanted to stop after i smoked him and slap the stupid out of him!

i come from a town of around 2k people in it all rednecks no class or general car knowledge at all but this conversation really REALLY cracked me up here is the full conversation between me and a redneck from my town

Dustin Crocker Cummins got You smoked bud

Brian Hawkins
dustin i worry about you bud, im sure you were dropped on your head. if you knew anything about anything youd quickly realize that in terms of gear ratios and sheer weight to torque youd lose HORRIBLY think about it that car weighs as much as your bed and 1 tire. and still has a ####ton-o-torque even without the turbo then considering the work thats done to it. you could tow your truck with a stealth bomber and still lose.... LOL

Dustin Crocker u gotta realize the the gears in my trk alone has u woped not including the money that I have in the motor alone not including the trans bud. I would hve u off the line and smoking the tires off of my trk not including all the horses/torque comming out of it so keep dreaming there slick.

Brian Hawkins LOL nope im all wheel drive and lighter with just as much torque and 3/4 of the horse power you got ima take off like a ####in bullet and not spin a tire.

Dustin Bernard i would put my money on a boosted 4cyl over ANY diesel! my plain jane toyota smoked a cummins the other day. stupid redneck thought he was all that with the loud turbo and nasty black smoke puffin out the back. just wanted to stop after i smoked him and slap the stupid out of him!

You've got to watch out for those diesels, some are actually pretty quick. I'm not joking, I saw a mostly stock newer F250 with a 300chip and a few other bolt ons (08 maybe?) tear a cammed Jeep SRT8 a new one in the 1/8th. Ended up running some mid-low 8's in the 1/8th, which isn't terribly fast, but quick enough to take out a lot of vehicles on the road LOL.

Here in RI, It's more a muscle-car kind of scene. It seems as though the stereotype of them all being stupid, poor and ignorant is true most of the time. They seem to know nothing about cars, how or where they're made, and who REALLY makes them.

None of the muscle car guys around here want to comprehend that foreign automakers actually manufacture the cars they use everyday, right here in America. The Altima, Sentra, Civic, Eclipse, Maxima, Corolla, Camry, Accord....All made in America.

I think it has something to with the fact that Japanese products are well engineered, have the same power as American cars but for way less money, and don't fall apart so easily.

:hmm:

Yeah, you clearly just hang out with the ricer-rific Branch Ave people. because you clearly don't know where to go in RI. It is not and has never been close to as bad as you are making it out to be, and the only respectful ones out here are the muscle car guys. I have never run into one of the children you are talking about, probably because I don't hang out with children at children spots.

One of my good friends was actually complimented for his 99 GSX by a Mustang owner and even told nice car by a Honda owner. Do you see a pattern with the idiots you deal with compared to the real car scene out this way?

I never really get insulted or disrespected, I live in the Tri Valley area about a 45 minute drive from place to SF. Every time I drive her I get stares and Oooo I can literally hear them say "wow that's a nice car" "that's a DSM!" etc. I also get alot of compliments from young teens that know the car from obviously "The Fast and The Furious" movie. This one time I'm at a left turn light and I'm waiting for my light to turn green. There was heavy traffic so there where some cars in the intersection. There was this kid in the car next me going strait and he rear ended the guy infront of him. I watched him the whole time he looked like he was mesmerized at the sight of my car. I felt so bad for him. *sigh*

I get teased sometimes from cameros and mustangs from time to time and like the other guy said esrlier once they hear the spooling of the turbo they back off really quick and they don't try to pass me. Never been cut off or when I'm entering the freeway people don't try to block me. They try to get out of the way like slow down to let me onto the freeway etc.

I had a 16yo kid tell me my talon was rice I look to see what he was driving and it was a ford mustang with the biggest wing and fart can I've ever seen in my life and the wing he had on it was bolted to the factory spoiler I just laughed at him and told him to get real

Yeah, you clearly just hang out with the ricer-rific Branch Ave people. because you clearly don't know where to go in RI. It is not and has never been close to as bad as you are making it out to be, and the only respectful ones out here are the muscle car guys. I have never run into one of the children you are talking about, probably because I don't hang out with children at children spots.

One of my good friends was actually complimented for his 99 GSX by a Mustang owner and even told nice car by a Honda owner. Do you see a pattern with the idiots you deal with compared to the real car scene out this way?

+1.

There are far more ricer morons in this area than there are ignorant muscle car guys. Sure, i've dealt with a few A-hole mustang owners, but if my 4.6L V8 made 220whp i'd have my panties in a wad too.

You've got to watch out for those diesels, some are actually pretty quick. I'm not joking, I saw a mostly stock newer F250 with a 300chip and a few other bolt ons (08 maybe?) tear a cammed Jeep SRT8 a new one in the 1/8th. Ended up running some mid-low 8's in the 1/8th, which isn't terribly fast, but quick enough to take out a lot of vehicles on the road LOL.

oh i know ive seen some quick ones too, however, his isnt what hes trying to say it is. ive known the kid a long tie and his truck is a 93 dodge 3/4 ton and ALL he has done to it is he put 5 inch stacks on it. shortly after this conversation took place i asked him to show me his "go-fast" parts and he said they are all internal i cant show them to you, his brother was with him and was like man quit lying you dont have anything done to this truck except those ugly ass stacks.. he clearly falls into the ignorant redneck part.

I think the "hate" just comes from ignorance, love for whatever they drive, and some from jealousy.

A guy at work that is a ford truck guy/V8 asked when I get done with my car will it be fast? I said yeah blah blah blah like to work on it, etc. Back and forth with him. The best was he asked about another guy that has a stock 05 mustang gt and if my car could even keep up with it when it was done. :hmm: He had no idea at all that 400hp is fairly easily achieved. I got the are you gonna run NOS FNF questions :rolleyes: to be able to keep up with a stock mustang. Even my kids make fun of that movie when the speedo is just creeping up above 120 while using NOS.

1) Actual muscle car guys are not poor, ignorant, or stupid.
2) That's what ricers always say "My car is engineered better, yada yada"
3) Your car is American as well as most imports, they are manufactured in America.

The typical import person is not very smart, they're generally broke (their parents bought their car for them and pay all of the bills), and they're super gullible and anti-muscle.

Most 03-04 cobra owners, gt500 owners, and corvette owners have owned DSM's. Just because some poor sucker in an IROC-Z or old silverado thinks imports are ### does not mean they are a muscle car guy, it just means they are ignorant.

Agreed. Whether willing to admit it or not, most kids got into imports because of the cultural explosion around 2000 (F&F, bunch of shows and magazines) - all the sudden American muscle became lame, but a 90 hp civic became "hawtness" or whatever because "you could make it run 10's cheap". I like my DSM, but if I ever wanted to build another car, I'll be buying a V8 and adding turbos - no replacement for displacement.

You think thats bad?

My car is Tri Toned. White rear bumper Black Front bumper white hood and Driver Side Fender. Everything else is Silver. You know how many kids come up to me thinking im Rice its just funny because even at the local meets the same people come but see what an eclipse can do then they STFU. People are just ignorant and think anything thats a 4cyl is slow. Eclipses get fast as ####!

In nebraska were I used to live most of the people I know or talk to give respect for the dsm and other 4 cyl. cars. I get more haters in cali then I did back home. I believe lack of knowledge is the biggest cause of hate and a little jealousy. My 40 mpg to their 18 on highway plus marines are just hates any way LOL.

is too funny when they find out that their "American muscle" uses Chinese parts,, and most of them are made with same parts as a Toyota or Nissan parts.. like the Quest same as Mercury Villager, or Toyota Corolla same as Chevy Prizm.. so yea hate import all you want but at the end "American Muscle" are as well imports.. :hellyeah:

Have Fun with your DSM and when you see a Mustang or Camaro V8,, woop that ASS with Your Banger baby yea!!!!!!!:thumb:

:DROFL

In nebraska were I used to live most of the people I know or talk to give respect for the dsm and other 4 cyl. cars. I get more haters in cali then I did back home. I believe lack of knowledge is the biggest cause of hate and a little jealousy. My 40 mpg to their 18 on highway plus marines are just hates any way LOL.

Yea Cali is really full with kids whose parents buy them STI's and EVO's / Ricer Kids/ Muscle heads.

Im not saying all people into muscle cars are , or all other cars are ricers but there is a huge majority....I just helped try to fix a 94 EG Hatch thats bone stock other than obx headers that leak up the ass. The entire engine bay wiring is wrapped in Pink Duct tape, On hot pink rims, with a bike rack thats sticker bombed, super bright HID, Cut Springs, No power steering, Oh yea and the car was rattle canned black and polished with tire shine.....

When I was still working for a shop me and the bosses son were pulling a car back down state, We are in the bosses F-250 Turbodiesel. This kid in a honda just kinda cruises by in the left lane and revs at us. So Clint (the bosses son) punches it. That thing surprized me. Smoked a turboed civic hatch whilst pulling a full weight 2g awd.

some people act like it's the greatest machine ever built. About 2-3 people i know. The rest think it's nothing but "rice", might as well be a honda or maybe i'll just sense the general disrespect towards me when i'm driving it. One thing's for sure, i don't get cut off or get into half as many "close calls" when i'm driving something else. Honestly, people just get weird around the car.

One time i counted 4 blown stop signs, 2 blown redlights and 8 failure to signals - all in my immediate proximity. This is all in a 5min drive across town. I'm not convinced if people react to the car like the full moon (weird behavior) or if they're just hating so hard they don't value my life in any regard.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

WTF?!? ok.....WOW.......Just........wow........LOL
Where the hell is the rest of batman's uniform? LOL

around my area the tuning scene is pretty big. lots of evo's, sti's, a supra, etc, but most of these guys bought their own cars and respect the cars they have. i get the occasional "nice dsm" from some of the guys and other guys that have a beat vw or civic with a loud fartcan "i doubt you'd be able to keep up with my civic." most of it has to do with maturity level though, my dsm is mostly stock, i know it's not super fast but i can respect that. it's all pretty much just the maturity level of the drivers.

When I first moved to GA, I thought I'd get hell for driving a DSM. All I see on the roads here are muscle cars (which I like), trucks (some of which I like), and donks (which I find repulsive in every way). But no one really bothers me in my eclipse. I get more thumbs up and waves from muscle car guys than anything. And cops leave me alone, even though my car is pretty loud and I don't exactly drive slow. I've actually got complimented on my choice of car by some kids in Civics. When I lived in CT, however, I'd get harrassed by cops, Subie drivers (rich kids), and Honda drivers. Probably because I lived ten minutes away from the Berlin Turnpike... But the best thig I've heard is one guy telling my my car is nice, but he'd rather drive the American version (the Talon). He said Mitsubishi bought Talons and shipped them over to Japan and turned them into Eclipses, and sent them back to the States. I laughed at him and his head pretty much was about to explode when I explained the whole DSM history.

You do realize what I typed is what happened to ME, not YOU, right? :nono:
Same thing goes for with that purple 1G Guy said.

You guys fit the exact description of what I usually encounter, on and off the street/scene, except you drive a DSM, not a muscle car. Stubborn as hell, always waiting for your turn to speak and never wanting to hear the full story.

I have never met a cool, respectful muscle car guy but I've met a ton of import guys who are cool as ####. Maybe YOU hang out with the wrong people? See the pattern in that? :thumb:

around here if you dont drive a honda super fast jdm as FFKKK car with 13" pink/green/blue/yellow color rims and a roof rack youre the outcast and get talked smack to LOOL! i love running into those people in my dsm tho. they can talk all the crap they want...

You guys fit the exact description of what I usually encounter, on and off the street/scene, except you drive a DSM, not a muscle car. Stubborn as hell, always waiting for your turn to speak and never wanting to hear the full story.

I have never met a cool, respectful muscle car guy but I've met a ton of import guys who are cool as ####. Maybe YOU hang out with the wrong people? See the pattern in that? :thumb:

Only pattern I see is BigBeans and me both disagree with you without knowing each other. That is pretty much all that needs to be said.

Apparently, us hanging out with car guys who respect other car guys, has become the wrong people, while you hanging out with a bunch of immature children has become the right people. Furthermore, with a DSM scene the size it is in RI, who are you again?

In this state we live with some of the most open minded American car guys I have seen. They have always showed respect to 4G63 powered DSMs, especially AWD models. We have always been welcome to meet up with them, talk cars, go to their car shows, etc. It isn't fair of them to get a bad rap because someone with a busted 420A and fart can made them laugh.

http://www.reklessracing.net

Mostly American muscle guys, surprisingly, a DSM was the runner up for June's ride of the month.

http://www.newengdsm.org

The real DSM scene in our state and beyond, most of them also have projects outside of DSMs, muscle cars included.

http://www.turbooptions.com

A little ricey, but they have never given me a hard time for being a DSMer either.

Yes, I do see a pattern with the American car guys behavior, and apparently it is you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back