The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Snapped timing belt because of oil leak???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreepscort

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2003
Kearny, New_Jersey
Hi everyone, I've read multiple threads about people having oil leaks by the timing belt area. And I know I had one for a while now. My question/problem, is that the other day driving, I snapped my timing belt. Originally I thought something had seized up for the timing belt to just snap, since it wasn't shredded or anything else. All pulleys and gears rotate fully and nothing gets stuck. Is it possible that from the oil leak I had, the belt got weaker and just decided to snap?
The belt and tensioner have less than 40k miles on it, and I am in the process of replacing the bent valves.

Thanks for all your info!

I would say, yes, the oil killed your belt. Any oils or grease will reduce the life of a timing belt. It is recommended to replace a timing belt after it gets oil on it to reduce the chances of failure. Be sure to find the leak(s) and replace your oil seals on that side of the engine before you install another timing belt.

I would say, yes, the oil killed your belt. Any oils or grease will reduce the life of a timing belt. It is recommended to replace a timing belt after it gets oil on it to reduce the chances of failure. Be sure to find the leak(s) and replace your oil seals on that side of the engine before you install another timing belt.

+1:thumb:

Find the oil leak and fix the problem. The oil that got on you timing belt will soften the material and allow it to strech and break. Same thing applies to the kevlar belts as well. Oil = bad news for belts/rubber that are NOT treated for it.

Man, I hate the timing belt. I always think about replacing it but its been about 45k since last one and I dont look forward to paying someone 600 to replace it :/. Risky business.

Chek out http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

i have a 93 talon tsi. I've noticed some significant oil on my belt.
Would it be a good idea to replace it? Is this something i can do myself?

I see someone said "600$" to replace.

I'm very new to the dsm world. I only know as much as i've read and what VFAQS.com has told me.

I'm very new to the dsm world. I only know as much as i've read and what VFAQS.com has told me.

Yes. A shop would charge that. It's much cheaper to DIY.

Timing an interference motor is very tricky. especially the 4g. If you mess up you are done you only get one shot. If you feel comfortable doing it then do it, but if you are not 100% sure you will succeed I would say don't take the risk.

If you don't know how to do it, you have 3 options.

1. Follow the VFAQ and hope you can read and follow directions.
2. Take it to the dealer or a garage that can change it out for you (including the balance shaft belt if it's not eliminated)
3 See if a fellow member that is local to you can help you/walk you through/supervise you doing it so it's cheaper and a learning experience. For what, the cost of the parts and a case of beer?

With Jusmx141 response, those would be the only 2 spots that would leak oil to get on the timing belt if the cover is on. If the cover is off, then you could also be getting blow out from the oil cap. More than likely it is going to be the VC or cam seals. To do the cam seals, you'll have to take off the timing so that would be a good time to change them out as well.

Timing an interference motor is very tricky. especially the 4g. If you mess up you are done you only get one shot. If you feel comfortable doing it then do it, but if you are not 100% sure you will succeed I would say don't take the risk.

You don't get just 1 shot if you follow the correct method. You should always check your work before trying to turn over the engine. Measure and make sure the tensioner is withing spec. Rotate the engine with a breaker bar to ensure that pistons and valves never contact. Double check the timing marks then you should be good to go.

There are tools out there that making changing a timing belt a lot simpler. It's actually pretty simple if you don't have the balance shafts anymore and you have the correct tools.

General rule for any used car, if you don't know when it was replaced, replace it. Goes with timing and fluids mostly, but can be used for any other maintenaince part as well.

Knoochgoon, I wish I would have known about that kit a while ago, I only have 1 piece to do the timing belt now and that's the pulley tool. What exactly is the white piece that seems to fit the gear/belt?

The kit above is in my eyes a must. The white piece holds your cam gears while you are working on the bottom and keeps the timing marks aligned. I found the screw in tensioner tool to be useless but its good to have. The other piece adapts a socket(10mm i believe, maybe smaller) to add preload to your belt via the tensioner pulley. The timing belt was the first thing I ever did to my gsx and had no problems. Your problems lie in the damage, what damage has the snapped belt caused?

The first thing i ever did other than change the oil was the timing belt, it wasnt that hard. Saved money didnt have to spend when i graduated college.

when ## puttin together a new motor, dont wait for the starter to make sure your timing is right, turn the engine over from the crank with a 1/2" drive wratchet if it binds (valves nailin ## pistons) do it again, if u dont bind turn it through a cycle, intake,compres.,combust,exhaust if ## timing marks all end up right where they started pointing at the marks fire it up. also before you set the timing and put the belt on prime the oil pump with a drill n a socket on the oil pump. then ## tappets will be somewhat primed all your oil galleries will be full and you'll get oil pressure sooner then waiting for the pump to prime.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back