The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G snapped the ole' timing belt : P

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
well shit LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

are all 2g heads the same? i definitely bent valves. gonna try source a local replacement head.

don't push your timing belt kids : P

Just a little update, I finally popped the head off last night, and the timing belt was NOT the cause of the failure. A rocker got loose and wedged itself between the head and the exhaust cam, locking the cam in place, which then shredded the timing belt.

I have a video on my instagram stories that will be up for today (you people in the future won't be able to see it : P
instagram.com/velocity_labs/

The piston damage:

When I bent all of my valves, I had 2 rockers that were wedged between the cam and the wall of the head.
#3 cylinder would concern me because the valve marks are so close to the outside of the piston. That one I would check the ring lands on to make sure the rings still float and aren't tight or get stuck.
Sorry for the shitty luck Erik, some of me must be rubbing off and I am sorry about that.

Just a little update, I finally popped the head off last night, and the timing belt was NOT the cause of the failure. A rocker got loose and wedged itself between the head and the exhaust cam, locking the cam in place, which then shredded the timing belt.
Erik,

The rocker could have popped off as a result of the valve smacking the piston and bending as opposed to causing the issue.

Gonna take some digging looking at the valve relief on that piston corresponding to said valve, and the valve itself.

If the valve is bent, I would be more inclined to say that the belt losing time caused the issue and the rocker is a result of that--at least that being most likely.

I have a video on my instagram stories that will be up for today (you people in the future won't be able to see it : P
instagram.com/velocity_labs/

The piston damage:

I'm betting it's still timing belt. Once valves aren't moving, here comes piston, bends valve and then rocker arm is loose and can flop around, get wedged etc.

AHHHHH HAAAAA! THAT SUCKS! looking at your photo, it looks like the timing belt is stil intact, but extremely thin? Whats up? Mine is getting worn also, probabably not going to last much longer...but it looks much better than yours! How did you drive it so long that way? with a 1/2 inch belt on the timing gears...

What Wize said.

Someone I know ... quite well ... put a cam sprocket on finger tight and the result was just about like this. 4g93 SOHC. Pulled the head, not a mark on the pistons, drove out a couple of bent valves, replaced them all with new, reassembled, and it's running fine, ahhh ... he says.

I think the smart move is to assume nothing. Each case is whatever it is and you might be lucky.

I've had enough bad experiences with timing belts and balance shafts that I cringe at the thought of letting anyone else work on that area.

On the 4g93 timing belts will actually go past 100k miles with moderate driving. Replace them per the recommendations and you'll never have a problem

Cheers @waltah , we can fix anything if we put our mind to it (and our pockets £££!). Best thing like you've said is to assume nothing. Take it all apart and inspect.

@ErikTande How did you get on with this, any updates? It's taken me 3 years to finally get to where I needed to be when my problem occurred to getting the car back on the road.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back