The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Update Your Password Today!

We have implemented tools to identify member accounts using insecure passwords and will be locking those accounts until their passwords are updated. Don't get locked out of your account - update your password today, and ensure your account has a valid email address on file. Read more here...
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

snapped bolts -__-

stheodore10

Proven Member
Apr 3, 2012
Hillsborough, New_Jersey
i now have two new problems; snapped bolts:

one in the turbo inlet

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and two of these in the head

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i would definitely not like to take apart the turbo and bring it to a machine shop, who can help?

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
The ones in the head aren't too bad to remove but the turbo bolts suck. I just take it to the machine shop and let them do it.

92AWDHX40

Supporting Member
May 22, 2007
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Yep machine shop can do it, the head will be a pita for some, others simple enough but everyone will have a method that works for him or her.

stheodore10

Proven Member
Apr 3, 2012
Hillsborough, New_Jersey
You can try drilling the bolt out with a left hand drill bit then use a EZ out. IF you can a welder out can try welding a nut to them.

i tried an easy out but screwed that up, i might just need a smaller bit, but to be honest i dont think itll work

The ones in the head aren't too bad to remove but the turbo bolts suck. I just take it to the machine shop and let them do it.

i dont want to have to take apart the whole turbo to get the inlet out of the car...

born2tune

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2009
clarksville, Tennessee
usually when a nut or bolt begins to feel restrictive I stop, spray penetrant on the few exposed threads then tighten it back in, let it cool down(alot of friction creates heat which softens the metal and causes it to snap easier.) and repeat that process until the penetrant has gone through all the threads inside, then I slowly begin to pull the bolt out and occasionally back in to ease off the resistance.

Some people spray penetrant on the bolt head and let it sit. It does nothing, if anything it will make you slip that wrench off the head and strip it. spraying the threads it the key, so You always have to break the torque first. (irony, because it sometimes snaps from the get-go, but not every case is the same)

Another method is using a heat gun, while this may work the theory is that heated metal expands and actually becomes tighter and weaker. but the point of heating it is to break down any loctite or any matter causing binding to the threads.

The best way in my opinion: (we use in aviation) is to apply dry ice or freeze the bolt with the part which reduces the diameter of the bolt making it easy to remove as it doesnt contact as much area as when in normal temperature. there is a little more to it when using this method but that is the main objective under it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds