The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Smoking issue after no start problem solved?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craracer05

Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2005
Warren, Ohio
Here's the story as it happened. I finished my car last year right before winter in Ohio. I got one 20 minute drive on it before I had to put the car away for winter. Car started fine was running no smoking or leaking of any kind. I came out in the spring to start the car and would just crank and sputter. I was puzzled and realized when I tried to tune with injvolts instead of global fuel adjustments I forgot to reset my global deadtime and flooded the car. So I corrected this and it still would just sputter. I pulled the plugs and did a compression test to find I had 75,30,30,145 for compression. My solution was letting the rings soak in ATF for a week in case they were stuck from storage. (at this time one of 30psi cylinders did pas atf straight past the rings.) This allowed the car to start first crank. Of course I knew it was going to smoke like crazy for awhile but I drove it. After 30 minutes of driving the smoking greatly reduced and my compression went up to 150,140,140,155. Boostleak/leakdown test showed air was only escaping from the bottom end at this time (through dipstick/oil cap). Another drive on the car at 30 minutes and giving it some boost and variable RPM's my compression is now 160,160,165,170. The issue is the car is spitting oil on the floor of my garage while idling and smoking under boost and decel. I also noticed that the 02 housing to downpipe gasket is saturated in oil. So I have went from thinking I washed the rings out flooding it to the where stuck from storage and now I'm thinking my turbo seals are blown. Any input on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Well got my oil pressure gauge hooked up today and a blip of the throttle I get about 90-95psi oil pressure. So I'm going to pull my oil and check for a restrictor, and if there isn't one i'll have to order one up.

Mods can you please move this thread to turbo tech section. Well I hooked up my oil pressure gauge to discover 98psi on cold start and once the engine is hot I'm idling at about 25psi. When hot a blip of the throttle will hit 90psi no problem. So I ordered a .063" restrictor for the turbo just to be safe. I crawled under the car to install the fitting and found both seals in the turbo leaking. Not sure if it will be ok now with a restrictor or if a rebuild is in order as this was fresh rebuild to begin with turbo has about 150 miles on it like this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If it sat for so long that you were worried that the rings were stuck then there's a good chance there was rust on the cylinders. As soon as the rings ride past that rust you can kiss them goodbye. Also, the rich condition while cranking will help wash out the rings.

The car is now starting right up and compression is between 160 and 170 on all cylinders now, do you still think the rings could be bad at this point especially with the amount of oil on the turbo itself?

After installing the oil restrictor on the turbo oil feed line ask of my smoking at idle had stopped and also under boost. I am still getting some on decel. The turbo was soaked in oil I'm thinking it's time for a rebuild on it and then see how it goes from there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back