The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

smoking and whistling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubalac57

Probationary Member
May 3, 2013
Clearfield, Pennsylvania
I'm new to dsm, I just bought a 95 eagle talon tsi awd. It's smoking really bad? Idk what this could be from. He has 550cc injectors in it I believe and the chip that's in it is tuned for 450 cc injectors, could that be it? Im going to buy a dsmlink here soon. Also whenever going into boost there's a loud whistling sound, what could this be? I had an ebay bov on it but replaced it with the stock 1G bov. Also seems like the car take a little to get up to boost, any ideas? Again i'm new to dsm so I don't have much knowledge yet, so any good information of what to check for or anything would be helpful.

"What color is the smoke. Also check for boost leaks "
the smoke is a white color, the car is running really rich too, smells like gas a lot. Im going to make a boost leak tester here this evening when i get off work.

"Sounds like the turbo is blown. Check for side/in-out shaft play."
We checked the play, seems to be a little bit of play, im going to take it completely off and look at it. I thought thats what it was but i took it to a guy and he said the turbo seems to be okay?

Running 550s when you are tuned for 450s will cause problems that's for sure. If it has in/out play it's most likely already dead, however a BIT of side to side isn't horrible however I'd be looking for a new turbo.

"Running 550s when you are tuned for 450s will cause problems that's for sure. If it has in/out play it's most likely already dead, however a BIT of side to side isn't horrible however I'd be looking for a new turbo."

okay, I started looking around to find one for a good price. It has a 16g in it now, you think i should put another 16g in it or you have another preference?

So no one noticed he said he has WHITE smoke coming out of the exhaust???

How is your coolant level? Do you top it off often?

Any check engine lights?
Also do a compression test and post results.

You can pick up an exhaust dye checker at your local parts store, put it over the radiator with the cap off and it'll tell you if there's combustion gases in your cooling system.

You have a boost leak somewhere and more than likely either a blown head gasket or your turbo is letting coolant into the exhaust somehow.

"So no one noticed he said he has WHITE smoke coming out of the exhaust???

How is your coolant level? Do you top it off often?"

They guy i took it too said the smoke may be from the bigger injectors?
I haven't checked the coolent level lately, I don't drive it now, Im waiting until i get it fixed to drive it.

Black smoke is from being overly rich. White smoke is from burning coolant. Smell it, does it smell sweet?

yeah it does have a sweet smell. You can really smell gas too. That's why im confused on what is causing the smoke.

It's coolant , check compression for blown head gasket. Ill put my money on that. You'll wanna deal with that as it's a bigger issue than running rich LOL.

okay thanks guys. Do you think the whistling is from the turbo going bad or boost leak(s)? or the 1g bov i put in it. it didn't make the sound until after i changed bov's

I agree with the above, though you should certainly put 450s back in for now until you get the smoke figured out and are ready to start tuning.

As far as your whistling, being new to a turbo car could it be just the sound of air getting sucked in with high velocity that you are not used to hearing? Still should do a Boost Leak Test along with the others mentioned above for the smoke.

I'd start with a compression test, then leakdown test, and someone mentioned putting dye in the sytem. I'd start there. And if the car is tuned for 450 injectors, put 450 injectors in it.

If the car already has a 16g on it, I'd replace it with a 16g or a 14b if it needs to be replaced but I wouldn't point to a blown turbo right away.

no its not vta, its recirculated.

and no i've been around turbo cars, this whistling sound is obnoxiously loud like you can hear it down the road.

and if i do a compression test and it shows that my head gasket is blown, how much am i looking at to get that fixed?

Alright well your whistling sound is most definitely a boost leak then. Check all flanges and connections.

The hg cost really depends. If it was overheated and the head warped you will need to machine it. Possibly block too. You'll need new head bolts and a gasket. Also think about doing timing and balance belt while your in there.

okay, how will i be able to tell if the head warped on it and it would need to be machined?

how much money am i looking at for a blown head gasket, just a range

You'll have to use a machinists straight edge and some feeler gauges on the deck surfaces range could be from 300-$1000 depends if block and head need to be machined

To do it RIGHT:
OEM composite is around 50 bucks. L19 Head studs around 200. All timing components and belts and OEM waterpump around 400. Get the head checked, vacuum and pressure tested, and resurfaced, around 100. Some new gaskets if they are old, like exhaust, intake, TB, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back