The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Smoked licence plate cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been pulled over for it. In NY you cant have anything obstructing the plates, even if its crystal clear. I pulled off the tints, plate covers everything. Its not worth the hassel to me anymore.

I have been pulled over for it. In NY you cant have anything obstructing the plates, even if its crystal clear. I pulled off the tints, plate covers everything. Its not worth the hassel to me anymore.

That sucks, I was thinking about getting the light blue cover, Guess im going to pass on that now..:ohdamn:

There is a law on it in the state of PA, and many other states. It's considered an obstruction of view of the plate, as well as when you first buy them, they say on the packaging "For off road use only".

Although I swear cops have a bolo out for my car anyways, they always try to hassle me, tint, tag cover, tails, you name it, they will try and pull me over for it.

It seems like pa cops hate our cars. I know the state cops are cracking down on tint. They always have something to say to us. Exactly what you said, tint,taillights,neons,loud exhaust, and probably other stuff.

wanting to put one on as well. Thanks for input.

even though this post hasn't been used for a while.. i put them on my front and on the rear. my rear has led for the license plate light. haven't got anything for them in jersey..and when i get pulled over they usually ask whats under the hood :)

I all ready have one i just haven't gotten pulled over for it yet and i was wondering if I should be concerned.

Yeah I would be. It'll happen when you least expect it

That's why I don't even have tinted windows. I HATE being pulled over by those self rightouse types that ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?" If that's what they start off their schpiel with, I'm getting ticketed cause I'll be an ass and tell'em to save it for someone who cares and just give me the damn ticket. (Rant, rant)
Yeah I got pulled over so I got rid of it. I'm not exposing my ass to the po-po :notgood: There's nothing like having a cop eyeball you and you look him straight in the face :rolleyes:. It pisses them off not being able to pull you over for stupid $hit :sneaky:

Used to have one but got pulled over almost 3-5 times a week so I threw it in the garage :)

this is in queens ny btw so cops are tight with everything..even my exhaust which is not loud at all -_-

i went up to queens a couple weeks ago to visit my cousins and i got pulled over for mine too. they also mentioned my exhaust and how nice it sounded LOL.

edit - just noticed i posted on an old thread. at least i wasn't the first one to commit said crime.

I got pulled over for having one within this week. He said to remove it, but I never did.
Didnt get a ticket, but honestly you could tell the cop just looked for an excuse to pull me over.
However never removed it and I drive in front of cops all the time, it was literally just that one cop

a buddy of mine here in NH got a $250 ticket for having his plates "obstructed" with the slight tint or whatever.

My mother has one on her minivan. shes never been pulled over for it or her 5% over 20% (that's two layers) window tint. I wish I could get away with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I swear cops have a bolo out for my car anyways, they always try to hassle me, tint, tag cover, tails, you name it, they will try and pull me over for it.

you say that as a joke, but me and my buddy get pulled over in his 2g a few years ago, and he gets in an argument with the officer and tells the cop "your lucky you got me pulling off m street, you wolnt catch me on the highway". cops pulled him over every other day for 2 months, and gave him dozens of repair orders and seat belt tickets, the look on that cops face when he told her that was priceless though.

As for the plate cover, its illegal in many states, in MD they can give you a repair order but i dont think theres a fine or actual criminal offense associated with it. MD is kinda strict though, we cut a front tags top and bottom off so it fit a 2g front bumper flush, and got hassled about that several times too.

rofl

Also is there a law for smoked license plates in New York?

I know this thead is getting old but I just saw it... I am a police officer in New York. YES they are illegal, and no it is not a "fix" ticket. The violation is for an obstructed view of the license plate. No covers are legal in NY (ex; clear, smoked, colored ect...) I write that ticket many times a week, and I know alot of officers do the same. (I leave the DSM's alone though LOL) I wouldnt have one on in New York, its just another reason to get pulled over...

And for you haters wondering why we "bother" people with the plate covers, its because we cannot see the numbers... They look clear once you are close to them, but try and see them when you are 10+ feet away, its impossible.

rofl

Also is there a law for smoked license plates in New York?

Yes it is illegal here in NY, Along with tinted tails and headlight covers, And any tint that is more then 70% In all windows now. NewYork changed the tint laws =(

I get yanked for my tinted tails all the time. I just swap out tails with my buddy get the "fix-it" ticket signed off and back on they go.

I know this thead is getting old but I just saw it... I am a police officer in New York. YES they are illegal, and no it is not a "fix" ticket. The violation is for an obstructed view of the license plate. No covers are legal in NY (ex; clear, smoked, colored ect...) I write that ticket many times a week, and I know alot of officers do the same. (I leave the DSM's alone though LOL) I wouldnt have one on in New York, its just another reason to get pulled over...

And for you haters wondering why we "bother" people with the plate covers, its because we cannot see the numbers... They look clear once you are close to them, but try and see them when you are 10+ feet away, its impossible.

Nothing is Imposible. You just need to "Squint" more. ROFL:D JK

Since you leave DSM's alone I am moving to your county :hellyeah:

Since you leave DSM's alone I am moving to your county :hellyeah:[/QUOTE]

haha, I stopped a green GSX the other week. I spoke with the driver and said I like the car, what turbo are you running. The driver was quick to say its stock! (thinking i would give him a ticket if it wasnt) I lauphed and said again what turbo? He looked at me funny and said uh-a green. So I replied, nice, I have a forced performance turbo on my GSX too. (now he really looked at me funny...) He said what turbo do you have? I replied an HTA 3586 - The kid started cracking up, "a cop running a 35-HTA turbo hahahahaha"!

I always show my DSM love on the street, come to New York haha

Since you leave DSM's alone I am moving to your county :hellyeah:

haha, I stopped a green GSX the other week. I spoke with the driver and said I like the car, what turbo are you running. The driver was quick to say its stock! (thinking i would give him a ticket if it wasnt) I lauphed and said again what turbo? He looked at me funny and said uh-a green. So I replied, nice, I have a forced performance turbo on my GSX too. (now he really looked at me funny...) He said what turbo do you have? I replied an HTA 3586 - The kid started cracking up, "a cop running a 35-HTA turbo hahahahaha"!

I always show my DSM love on the street, come to New York haha[/QUOTE]

I live in Albany New York. Not sure where in NY you are, But get tarnsferd up here hahahahaa We need cool cops up here.

If you don't like how a plate looks, you're just as well off having it not mounted and just carrying it inside the car with you. It's pretty retarded how ugly they make some plates. One should be able to just get whatever color they want.

If you don't like how a plate looks, you're just as well off having it not mounted and just carrying it inside the car with you. It's pretty retarded how ugly they make some plates. One should be able to just get whatever color they want.

Yeah Tru story on that. They keep changing our plates Here in NY, They are now orange and black. I used to have my plate in my front window but got sick of tickets.

They said the reson for changing our plated was it makes them more visable... Umm i would have thought the white plates were better at that. But hey what do I know. It is only ym tax money that makes me have ugly plates.

I'm surprised they need them to be more visible...they have cameras now. The list of things anyone has to do at their job is getting shorter every day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back