The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Smoke from Exhaust and burning oil during turbo spool? help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhhc

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 24, 2003
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SO my girlfriend was following me this past weekend in her car and we head out into the highway. Seeing that I was going to merge in right behind a semi, I mashed the pedal and let 'er rip. When we stopped, she said that there was a horrible oil burning smell and a lot of smoke coming from my exhaust, but only when the turbo was spooling. this normal? turbo dying? change oil sooner than 3000? change oil wights? I have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

crap, thats kinda what I'm afraid of. Its kinda good and kinda bad. Good in the aspect that now I have an excuse to buy a bigger turbo and not have the g/f raggin' on me for spending cash, but bad in the aspect that with a bigger turbo I would have to upgrade a lot of other stuff to. Thinking about going with a big 16g.....what do you think? What other mods would I have to do if I got a big 16G?

What color was the smoke, ask her if it was black or blue. Most likely it was black and it was not oil, it was more than likely fuel. The ECU for the DSM goes full rich when in boost thats why you see raw fuel dump out the back and thats also why people hack the intake box to try and lean it up as much as possible, a car is supposed to run on 14:1 if im not mistaken air to fuel ratio. Or it could be a possible bad gasket on your turbo. But it is more than likely raw fuel dump, if your turbo was going, you would know.

Also you may wanna run a catch can or a breather filter cause it also may be oil down the intake into the turbo hitting a real hot turbo and burning off going through the engine.

Actually 14:1 is wayyyy to lean for our cars. Turbo cars such as DSMs need closer to 12.5:1 if you're brave and not running 91 octane. Myself, I'd go with 12:1 .

yeah I just talked to my f/g over lunch about what color it was and she said it was definetly black, not blue. I was at WOT at the time, and when I do that I notice my a/f gauge it maxed out on rich.....if the gauge could go any more rich I'm sure it would :) I hacked my air box and am running an Injen intake to lean it out as much as I can, but it still runs REALLY rich. I have a breather filter on order, no auto parts stores here have them in stock. anyways a week or so ago I took off my intercooler to flush it and I noticed a LOT of oil in the uicp and licp pipes and the ic itself...thats when I decided to get a breather filter. With that filter is there any need for a catch can? since oil shouldn't be spilled into the intake anymore. And I run 93 octane. Is the only way to fond out my a/f ratio to get a datalogger?

Thanks

Just live with it until you get more done, whats your boost at? Mine harsh fuel dumps when I run WOT, when you get more on ayh it will lean it u[p more and more.

And I do appologize about the 14:1, i was thinking NA

eyah I'll jsut live with it until I can afford to do more.....besides, I'm not the one behind me when the stink comes :)

hey I just wanna say thanks to you guys for feeding me info, I really appreciate it. I'm the only person in my town with a GSX so its hard to find anyone to BS with and learn from and work together, so I'm turn to here. So again, thanks guys!

Thanks,
Joe

Originally posted by EHeye
What color was the smoke, ask her if it was black or blue. Most likely it was black and it was not oil, it was more than likely fuel. The ECU for the DSM goes full rich when in boost thats why you see raw fuel dump out the back and thats also why people hack the intake box to try and lean it up as much as possible, a car is supposed to run on 14:1 if im not mistaken air to fuel ratio. Or it could be a possible bad gasket on your turbo. But it is more than likely raw fuel dump, if your turbo was going, you would know.

Thanks, that answered a question I hadn't asked yet. A friend following me the other day noted that when I stomped on it, there was black smoke coming out of the tailpipe, and I've noticed that when I boost my A/F gauge all but maxes out rich, and my car eats gas like nothing. My airbox is hacked, BTW. The car's takes off big time when boost hits, so I know nothing's wrong with the turbo (I hope, at least).

I was worried something was wrong, but it makes me feel better to know that it's normal. :)

I personally know the difference between burned oil and rich mixture from the color of the smoke. I don't think running rich = black smoke. Running rich = GRAY smoke. When I go to clean my exhaust tip, believe it or not, it's just a nice garyish coding, not black like you would expect. So if you know you're loosing oil and it smells like burned oil and you have black smoke, you better check it out!

Whats your Gas miliage like??? You might need to check your front 02 sensor. I had the same problem with my car and the 02 fixed it right up. You can get an 02 from conecellis for around 90 bucks. Or NAPA with a 2 year warranty. They both use Denso 02 sensors so I went with NAPA. Odds are it wont go out on you but you never know.

Originally posted by lhhc
yeah I just talked to my f/g over lunch about what color it was and she said it was definetly black, not blue. I was at WOT at the time, and when I do that I notice my a/f gauge it maxed out on rich.....if the gauge could go any more rich I'm sure it would :) I hacked my air box and am running an Injen intake to lean it out as much as I can, but it still runs REALLY rich. I have a breather filter on order, no auto parts stores here have them in stock. anyways a week or so ago I took off my intercooler to flush it and I noticed a LOT of oil in the uicp and licp pipes and the ic itself...thats when I decided to get a breather filter. With that filter is there any need for a catch can? since oil shouldn't be spilled into the intake anymore. And I run 93 octane. Is the only way to fond out my a/f ratio to get a datalogger?

Thanks

well I get about 200 miles per full tank, and I think its a 14 gallon tank so that would mean I get about 14-16 mpg......which sucks my balls.
Autozone has a Bosch front O2 sensor for $69.95 with a 3 month warantee....but my g/f's dad also owns our Napa store, so I could probably get a nicer Denzo sensor with the 2 year warantee for pretty cheap.

Don't get the Autozone O2 sensors for two reasons:

1. Because you either get a "universal" sensor or they end up giving you one for a 420a which is not right.

2. Because it's autozone.

If I have to use aftermarket parts to save money I go with NAPA because they know thier stuff. They even have a book that has the picture of your O2 so you get the right one the first time. Autozone I think uses "bosch" O2s I think and NAPA and Mitsu use Denso. I could be wrong though.

ok I just called Napa and they said they don't use Denso, its a Napa brand amde by Eckland(??) and there was only 3 listed in the computer, 2 were for behind the cat, and other one was listed in the exhaust manifold(???) Well isn't the O2 seonsor in the O2 sensor housing? only makes sense to me. Sounds to be like the one they have listed for front of cat is for the 420a N/T.....???? make sense to you?

Thanks

Thats wierd because both the ones I got from NAPA said Denso on them. Yeah, you need to call another NAPA if you can find it. I'll see if I get time I'll call my NAPA around here and pull the number for you.

O2 voltage meter. OR when you get a check engine light pull the codes. When mine went both times my O2 voltage droped below .20@Wide open throttle, but I was definately running pig rich. Also my mileage went down to sub teens. AND at idle I was blowing chunks of carbon out the back. The problem is there are several ways the 02 can go bad so sometimes it wont even throw a code. There is a way to bench test them but its a PIA.

This is a way I judge the O2 sensor. Not necessarily the best but not the worst. When your driving regular the 02 voltage should bounce somewhere between .7*something and .9*something. Somewhere in that range is good. Under WOT it should be a minimum of .91 but I would be more comfortable at .93 minimum.

Like I said this is not gospel but it should help some if your 02 is drastically out of whack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back