The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Smell of Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99GSEclipsekamloops

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2013
Victoria, BC_Canada
I was looking around and I couldn't seem to find an issue that was exactly like mine... To start the previous owner did the AWD swap an may not have connected everything. The car smells like gas right after I fill it up or a hard pull. It doesn't do it if the windows are up and the roof closed so maybe its creating negative pressure to the back seat and pulling fumes up??? I don't dare fill it full because last time I did I may have over filled it or something because it leaked gas onto the ground WTF So my main question is, could that be the pressure hose that connects to the filler neck or that stupid evap line that goes to the canister that isn't in my car :( not sure which one would actually leak gas or vent fumes into the car or maybe both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you check the pump if the last guy had it off the hoses could be loose or have cracks in them.

Sounds like to me the previous owner did not put the fuel pump assembly in right. take off the fuel pump cover under the rear seat and check the top of the gas tank to make sure the assembly is in properly. He could have put the seal on wrong or not even put the circular hold down on. If a fuel line was cracked it would leak and smell all of the time not just when doing a pull or filling tank. Also an evap line wont leak fuel it only does vapors.

If it leaks gas on the ground when you fill it up, then you clearly have something not hooked up correctly. If you really want your problem diagnosed by an internet forum, then you'll have to take clear pictures or video of exactly where the fuel is leaking out. You may even have to lower the tank a little to give us a proper view of the gas pouring out, then we can tell you where it's pouring out.:thumb:

This fixed my problem. It would start to pour out after a little driving from pressure.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 255
I know this is a long shot, but I did have it happen to me once - the hose connecting the pump to the sending unit had split a little and so gas shooting at the top of the sending unit, and the sending unit wasn't sealed 100% so a little bit of gas was leaking out from around the sending unit edges.

This is less likely to happen on a 2G, though.

I've seen gas leak from rusted out fuel lines, rusted out sending units, and loose filler tubes too, so don't overlook or rule that out. Sometimes owners put screws and stuff through the tank.
There are 5 openings in the top of those tanks that it could potentially leak from.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

See the rusty areas, and the two hoses out the back?

well I got under the car and noticed the filler neck hose wasn't connected...
I am really wondering now what the previous owner did to this poor car, if he couldn't even connect the filler neck hose. I have it in the shop ATM for another fun reason so I will fix that when it gets out... if it gets out LOL
I appreciate you guys getting back to me. I will try and take some pictures of the gas tank to see if there is anything else not connected.

Last edited:
well I got under the car and noticed the filler neck hose wasn't connected...
I am really wondering now what the previous owner did to this poor car, if he couldn't even connect the filler neck hose. I have it in the shop ATM for another fun reason so I will fix that when it gets out... if it gets out LOL
I appreciate you guys getting back to me. I will try and take some pictures of the gas tank to see if there is anything else not connected.

Yup that will do it LOL.

I didn't think of looking there. I found it on ExtremePSI also. I am hoping thats cures my issue. So far only when the tank pressures up, its been hot lately, and when I put a full tank in it will leak out the top. So now i gotta drive to get the gas down. And I have been leaving my fuel cap loose. The gasket was a little gooey when i put the pump in.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You could also be running extremely rich, sometimes on prior cars especially DSMs running rich smells like fuel especially after pulling hard. That could be the issue, do you have a wideband?

Just to chime in! If you don't have the canister it will spell like gas under boost even more if the hose is inside the engine bay!
As the rest say take a look at what have been done to the car and also maybe the PO mismatched the filler neck or did some kind of hack job to make it "work" since the neck varies between years and fwd-awd.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back