The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Smallest truck in market for full size trailer towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrock5

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Around, Connecticut
I am looking into buying a pickup truck that I can use to pull a car (most likely the DSM) on a full size (I think that’s what they’re considered) trailer. I’d like a pickup truck because I’ll be doing construction jobs on the side as well.

My question for the experienced is, what is the smallest pickup truck out there needed to pull this amount of weight and this type of trailer? I will most likely be renting these trailers so I need something that will pass Uhaul’s restrictions of what vehicle is large enough to pull their full size trailers.

I am not really interested in buying something past the $4000 mark but I’m sure there are plenty of “older” trucks that can “pull their own weight” (pun intended LOL).

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Ford Ranger should it. V6

Really? I'm going to look into their towing capacity. They seem a bit small.

The most appropriate answer is: Don't get a small truck.

Get a fullsize anything before getting a small truck. Most of your smaller platform trucks (ranger, explorer, S10, Blazer, etc...) don't have the suspension, brakes, or the torque to pull the weight that you want to pull. Those U-haul trailers are pretty heavy for their size, so you're going to want a vehicle rated to at least 5500 lbs. on the low side.

I have a 1/2 ton Suburban with a 5.3L and it's rated to pull 7700 lbs. I just pulled SIM's car and trailer to the track this past Friday, and I'll be the first to admitt that I wouldn't have trusted using any less of a truck that what I have. Your smaller platform trucks and other V6 trucks are usually only good to pull around 4000 lbs, and that's pushing it.

I was just truck shopping at the end of July and came across a few good deals that I passed up. I found a decent '99 F150 5.4L for only $2300. It was a base model, single cab, manual trans and 2WD. So the resale is crap, but it's perfect for good weather towing. Just something to think about.

Thanks for your input. I am looking into American pickups since they seem to go for the least money. What do you think of the Ford F150 or Chevy 1500? Maybe I'll have to step up to the F250?

Id definetly go with a full size truck like an f150 or a 1500 series dodge or chevy the braking and suspension on either one of those is going to be more comfortable and safer to pull that kind of weight

silverado. i had a 90, 5speed 4WD, and managed close to 20mpg with the V-8. thing was a beast, bought it for $500 sold it for $750. took her on the trails, beat the crap out of it, hauled a flatbed car trailer with a 4dr integra, loaded with parts, and a motor in the bed also. always plowed through everything i threw at it.

Obviously you have more to work with, so you could probably get something pretty decent.

And since ## mentioned something about a f250 look into something with the 7.3 diesel in it those engines can pull anything and they'll run forever as long as you keep up on the routine maintanece

A Tacoma's maxium towing capacity is 6500lbs. If you are going to buy a small pickup then buy a Toyota, American small pickups are just awful. But I agree go with a full size which the big three all make decent ones to pick from.

Thanks for your input. I am looking into American pickups since they seem to go for the least money. What do you think of the Ford F150 or Chevy 1500? Maybe I'll have to step up to the F250?
A 1/2 ton with a V8 is plenty. You probably won't be able to get anything newer than a '99 with a budget of $4k. But the '90's Fords, Chevys, and Dodges will pull that load just fine.

Just make sure you got a good hitch, make sure the wiring is there and functional, install a brake controller if it doesn't have one, and invest in an AirLift bag kit. The AirLift kit will be exceptionally handy if the truck has original, worn out leaf springs.

And since ## mentioned something about a f250 look into something with the 7.3 diesel in it those engines can pull anything and they'll run forever as long as you keep up on the routine maintanece
They also hold their value very well and you'd be hard pressed to find a decent one for under $10k. Which is a bit outside of the OP's budget of $4k.

Another group of vehicles to consider would be the line of Suburbans, Tahoes, and Yukons. All of them are V8 powered and are basically a larger, premium body sitting on a 1/2 ton truck chassis. They're very capable for towing and also comfortable to drive around otherwise.

Last edited:
You can pick up an Expidition for cheap nowadays, seen one on clist for $1850. Mine has the 4.6 in it, and has 230,xxx miles with ZERO issues. I had to replace the front suspension at 160k, but what do you expect. Gas mileage sucks but I pull a tandem axle car hauler back and forth about 180 miles round trip at least once a month.

When it comes to towing, my opinion is;

Its much much better to get a rig that's a bit too big for what you need, than a rig that's a bit too small.

Personally, I hate the thought of sharing the road with people who are dragging a trailer along at 65mph with "just enough" brakes, "just enough" power, to me that says they have "just enough" brains.

Ok so now I'm leaning towards a F250 or Chevy 2500. I did some research on mid 90's F150 and 1500 and they would "barely" pull the weight of a full size Uhaul trailer (~2200 lbs) and GSX (~3300 lbs)

The 90's Chevy 1500 is rated to pull 6000 lbs. And with a WD hitch and a set of bags, it will do 8000 lbs. I'd say that's sufficient. The only towing related improvement between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton is a suspension upgrade, which a $200 Airlift kit can replicate. The 90's 1/2 ton Ford seems to be rated at about 1000 lbs less than the Chevy.

Are you finding 3/4 ton trucks within your budget?

From experience, an F150 is more than enough to pull around a DSM. But I'm talking car dolly or reasonably sized trailer (nothing huge) In your budget you can find quite a few V8 OBS Fords for that dough. But if you plan on pulling anything impressive I'd lean to a Superduty (I'm sure there's a base '99 for your budget) My V10 with air helper springs and a 5th wheel is just as capable tow vehicle as a Diesel that costs twice as much.

I hauled my gsx full weight on a u haul full car trailer with my 99 F150 4.6 2wd automatic about 6 to 7 hours without a problem. Got the job done just fine, 5.4 would be nice but I got around just fine.

im a mopar man myself plus i work for chrysler so i have to say 1500 ftw! :hellyeah:

but back when i first started driving i drove around a ram 1500 conversion van but w/o the high top. my dad said that it was different though. because it had a 2500 rear end suspension. so we went to the local rv place and found the longest trailer (not fifth wheel) we could find. we found it and didn't plan on buying it but wanted to see what the van had. so the guys at the rv place said there's no way that van will tow it. so we told them we'll see. so it was like over 20' so not a small trailer (might have been bigger) and the van didn't even squat one bit! i didn't have my licence yet but my dad said he had perfect control with it. im not gonna say "he didn't even know it was back there" because obviously he could tell it was. but the van handled flawlessly! the motor was the 5.9 v8 but not hemi.

so that's the basis of my opinion on the 1500! plus with the conversion van you get all the room in the world! just as someone said about the yukon and such its the same thing as the ram 1500 just a different body.

Indeed you can use a chevy 1500 to pull a car, my dad pulls a "fullsize" trailer with his 95 chevy 1500, plus he pulled a 36' fifth wheel all the way to florida and BACK (16 hour trip there) with no problem and with a bit of ease.

Since it seems we're out of the small truck category.

If you don't mind going a little older body style. I see Diesel f-350's now and then with good prices. I just missed an e-350 diesel refer van which would have definitely towed a DSM and had an air conditioned room haha.

There are also diesel excursions which make great towing vehicles.

Once you get a trailer on that diesel it'll pull it without a noticeable difference, or strain.

Strap that onto an f-150 and you'll know it's back there. Especially going up steep grades, and your engine/drive train will too.

Getting a good diesel truck/suv is built better for the job and with some shopping may not be much more expensive.

Hell yea a 1500 series chevy can tow a dsm, I live in Colorado and we have some long steep ass grades around here. I drive a 99 Tahoe with a 6" lift on 35's with a 20ft 2 axle trailer to tow my dsm back and forth to Denver which is about 4 hrs away with ease. Trust me anyone who lives or has driven on I70 thru Colorado will tell you towing thru the Rocky Mtns will definitely put any vehicle to the test as far as handling,braking,and towing capacity.

Hell yea a 1500 series chevy can tow a dsm, I live in Colorado and we have some long steep ass grades around here. I drive a 99 Tahoe with a 6" lift on 35's with a 20ft 2 axle trailer to tow my dsm back and forth to Denver which is about 4 hrs away with ease. Trust me anyone who lives or has driven on I70 thru Colorado will tell you towing thru the Rocky Mtns will definitely put any vehicle to the test as far as handling,braking,and towing capacity.

What engine is in your Tahoe?

Thanks for the input guys. I guess looking for 250s may be overkill if I can get the job done with a F150/1500. I have seen a couple of older F250s in my price range but not much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back