The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Smallest truck in market for full size trailer towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

get an f150 used. i have towed up and down the blue ridge mtns with a 3000gt on a uhaul trailer for a weight load of 6000 lbs.

i have a 2000 with the v8 in it. i got it for 2000 bucks. it has a towing capacity of like 10,000 pounds

What engine is in your Tahoe?
His has the 5.7L. The 2000+ Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban used the 5.3L engine, which was based on the LS. They're both great engines, but I'd definitely go with the 5.3 if I had the option. Although, you might have to spend $5-6k to get something decent with a 5.3.

I got the Vortec 5.7 350, stout motor and pulls my trailer and dsm easily. If you get one make sure is after 95,that's when Chevy got away form TBI, 96 thru 99 got the better version if the 350 getting more power and better gas mileage.

Wheelbase is your friend when it comes to towing. I run a 98 Tahoe 4 door with a 18ft trailer. It pulls it like it isn't even there.

I'm the third guy who pulls DSMs with a Tahoe. :) How many more use Tahoes as tow rigs here?

I'm telling younsince a small truck is out. Go older and grab a diesel. I towed a 28ft boat about 36ft w/ trailer n a 12 hour round trip with passing power, and got like 11 miles to the gallon. This was in an 05 F-250 jacked....Let me see if I have a pic.....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also this has over 300k miles and runs like a beast still, Front/rear lockers, 4.25 turbo back exhaust, 6 gun tuner, I'm not even sure what else..

I took the 2009 F-550 dump to pick a car up in Philly and got 6 mpg. I was not expecting that...

Back in 2000 my family and I went on a vacation with our 2000 Tahoe and our 27 foot travel trailer. We went up and down mountains with no problem.

We also got decent mileage, I don't remember the exact number but I think it was around 12-15 MPG while pulling it and when not pulling it wasn't too terrible too.

I'm telling younsince a small truck is out. Go older and grab a diesel. I towed a 28ft boat about 36ft w/ trailer n a 12 hour round trip with passing power, and got like 11 miles to the gallon. This was in an 05 F-250 jacked....Let me see if I have a pic.....
The problem is that $4000 won't get you much of a diesel truck. For that price, you're buying something that's 20 years old, has a quarter million miles, and probably has the body and frame rusting away around the engine.

I know when I was shopping a month ago, I couldn't find a diesel that I liked within my $6k budget.

Here's what my $6K bought me though. 2001 Suburban LT. It seats 8, has every option under the sun except for a moonroof, and gets 16-17 mpg. It tows very well also. And slightly older models of this truck can be had for $4k too.

I guess the diesel Suburban would push him out of the price range there also.

Yours is nice, I always liked the Suburbans and Excursions.

Search around you may find a great deal on something diesel, they are out there.

I guess the diesel Suburban would push him out of the price range there also.

Yours is nice, I always liked the Suburbans and Excursions.

Search around you may find a great deal on something diesel, they are out there.

1996 GMC Suburban 6.5 Diesel 1500
1994 Chevy Turbo Diesel Suburban 6.5L

6.5 turbo diesel powered Suburban 2500. they don't have the trans problems that the 1500's have, so they're a safe bet that way. it's not going to be a rocket in a straight line, but it'll pull quite nicely and get good mileage to boot.

trust me when i say that once you pull with a diesel, you will NEVER want to go back to a gas truck. seriously, if it wasn't so far away, i would be jumping all over both of those trucks.;)

1996 GMC Suburban 6.5 Diesel 1500
1994 Chevy Turbo Diesel Suburban 6.5L

6.5 turbo diesel powered Suburban 2500. they don't have the trans problems that the 1500's have, so they're a safe bet that way. it's not going to be a rocket in a straight line, but it'll pull quite nicely and get good mileage to boot.

trust me when i say that once you pull with a diesel, you will NEVER want to go back to a gas truck. seriously, if it wasn't so far away, i would be jumping all over both of those trucks.;)

How do you search craigslist all over like that? haha

+1 on towing with a diesel is a one way street..... It is the feeling of putting things in the position/place they belong and everything works harmoniously.

I really want that Suburban.....GRRR

I have no money to blow right now, but that 94 is real sharp minus the body work around the rear wheel well.

I don't even need anything like that...I am really fighting the urge to impulsively......I ... I.... I am going to just close the browser and leave the computer before I contact that guy and end up with that thing...

I picked up my 01 silverado reg cab long bed 4x4 with a 4.8l for $2k. Its got 125k on it, and it has been well maintained, even had new tires on it when I got it. It was a farm truck so the body is rough. It pulls a heavy trailer with my dsm on it pretty easy.

Diesels are nice, but there is no way I'd take anything like a non powerstroke ford or non duramax chev over a 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck.

Deals are out there Keep your eye open. Mine came from a buddy's farm. They were getting ready to trade in old trucks for some newer ones. So if you have any local big farms, you might see if they are getting ready to trade up for some newerones..

My buddy just sold his excellent condition '98 GMC 1500 ext cab 4X4 Z71 130k for $4000. He had an add a leaf spring and a brake controller installed and he said it did just fine pulling his 4,000+ LT1 camaro back from Delaware. A 1500 truck with some cheap mods will get the job done fine.

I pull a different trailer with my '05 V8 Tunrda. My truck is stock expect for the leveling kit in the front and it does decent pulling this really poorly balanced trailer with a heavy tool box on the front. This trailer also has NO TRAILER BRAKES. So my truck is using it's front disc and rear drums to stop this rig, yes Tundras all had rear drums untill 2007WTF I know right. I just wanted to add, my truck has plenty of power to pull this rig, but if i continue to use this exact trailer in the future, i plan on an add a leaf spring or air bags for the rear and upgrading my front brakes as well as trying to hook up the trailer brakes. My buddy thinks that with a better trailer, my truck would have no problem at all pulling my 2700 pound 1g.

Attachments

• laser on car tailer two two.jpg
    laser on car tailer two two.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 93
  • gold dust.jpg
    gold dust.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 89
How do you search craigslist all over like that? haha

+1 on towing with a diesel is a one way street..... It is the feeling of putting things in the position/place they belong and everything works harmoniously.

I really want that Suburban.....GRRR

I have no money to blow right now, but that 94 is real sharp minus the body work around the rear wheel well.

I don't even need anything like that...I am really fighting the urge to impulsively......I ... I.... I am going to just close the browser and leave the computer before I contact that guy and end up with that thing...

i can rip through craigslist like it's nobody's business:p

My buddy just sold his excellent condition '98 GMC 1500 ext cab 4X4 Z71 130k for $4000. He had an add a leaf spring and a brake controller installed and he said it did just fine pulling his 4,000+ LT1 camaro back from Delaware. A 1500 truck with some cheap mods will get the job done fine.

I pull a different trailer with my '05 V8 Tunrda. My truck is stock expect for the leveling kit in the front and it does decent pulling this really poorly balanced trailer with a heavy tool box on the front. This trailer also has NO TRAILER BRAKES. So my truck is using it's front disc and rear drums to stop this rig, yes Tundras all had rear drums untill 2007WTF I know right. I just wanted to add, my truck has plenty of power to pull this rig, but if i continue to use this exact trailer in the future, i plan on an add a leaf spring or air bags for the rear and upgrading my front brakes as well as trying to hook up the trailer brakes. My buddy thinks that with a better trailer, my truck would have no problem at all pulling my 2700 pound 1g.

Two things.
1. Get some trailer brakes. You're violating federal DOT laws without them, and it isn't safe, or very nice to your truck.

2. I want to fu#ck your car. Seriously, I get an erection at the sight of a black 1GB awd Laser. I've never hidden this fact from you, or anyone else. Sorry, dude, I know she's yours'. I just had to say it again. I have been sexually aroused by certain trees and shrubs in the past (I'm a landscaper/horticulturalist), but I want to lick the ass of a 92-94 awd Laser. I want to nut on it's bung-hole and lick it off. You know I love your car. I know I am sick and need help. But I am an honest man. I pride myself on that.:thumb:

Is there a search engine or you just go to different regions? My friend is always finding stuff in other states and I need to know how to do this! haha

you can change the region you're looking in on the right side of Craigslist.:thumb:

you can change the region you're looking in on the right side of Craigslist.:thumb:

I know that, I was looking for something like a meta search engine for CL.

Check that crazedlist site out. That was exactly what I was looking for...

THANK YOU! I am in heaven which means my wife is now in hell. If a blonde chick comes chasing you around with an axe in the near future...You'll know why.

Two things.
1. Get some trailer brakes. You're violating federal DOT laws without them, and it isn't safe, or very nice to your truck.

2. I want to fu#ck your car. Seriously, I get an erection at the sight of a black 1GB awd Laser. I've never hidden this fact from you, or anyone else. Sorry, dude, I know she's yours'. I just had to say it again. I have been sexually aroused by certain trees and shrubs in the past (I'm a landscaper/horticulturalist), but I want to lick the ass of a 92-94 awd Laser. I want to nut on it's bung-hole and lick it off. You know I love your car. I know I am sick and need help. But I am an honest man. I pride myself on that.:thumb:

Enjoy you DSM perv LOL

Attachments

• 00000100000.jpg
    00000100000.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 60
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back