1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

General Smallest harness to run car

Posted by sytherstrike, Jul 1, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. sytherstrike

sytherstrike Probationary Member

Joined Mar 19, 2013
    Flint, Michigan
    Just wanted to share, its not supper clean but I'm happy how it turned out. 92 laser awd running megasquirt.

My car no longer has a mfi relay. There's one relay for the fuel pump than 2 fuses one for injectors one for coil. The ms directly drives the coil so no ignition module. The engine came out of a 90 so the coil has the tach signal, I just ran a wire directly to the back of the gauge cluster. I have tested everything as it goes into the car. Still waiting on parts to show up. 20200701_191513.jpg 20200619_065824.jpg 20200616_092115.jpg

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Nice, be sure to post some more details on things when you can. I've contemplated switching over myself.

What series MS are you running?

Street Build 919  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

853  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. sytherstrike

Joined Mar 19, 2013
    Flint, Michigan
    Im running ms1, I bought it when ms2 first came out. The ms1 can do pretty much everthing the others can.

4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    How's tunerstudio to use? How bout basemaps etc? Anything you can offer pro/con vs things like ECMlink?

If I switch I was going to go with ms3(x), but I'm still kicking the idea around.

Street Build 919  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

853  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. sytherstrike

Joined Mar 19, 2013
    Flint, Michigan
    I'd defiantly go ms3, just for ease of use. Tunerstudio is pretty straight forward. The maps you pretty much build yourself. You put in your base engine settings than desired hp and it makes a base for fuel, usually rich than tune from there. For the ignition map I just studied a base 2g map from http://www.jeffgst.com/id20.html and put the numbers in. I used the 2g map mainly because its less aggressive and wanted to make sure I was in the safe zone. Once my car is running I plan to do a full build thread on it, with as much info as I can stuff into. I'd do that now but don't know how things are going to turn out. I'd like to do some dyno pulls and maybe do a 1/4 mile run to know all the work I put into this thing paid off, and was worth doing. If I end up not putting down the numbers I'm looking for I still enjoyed all the hours I've put into this car, kept me from losing my mind during the lockdown.

ThunderChild likes this.