The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Small winter build thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I found some different compressor covers for a 16g that elimiates the jpipe. Ive had plenty of people say go evoIII 16g over the 20g because of spool and Im only shooting for around 300hp. Thoughts? Might go this route.

There's no question that a e316g will spool faster than the 20g. If you're sure you'll be satisfied at around 300whp, than the 16g is the turbo for you. I'm going with the 20g and shooting for 375whp, and hopefully the TD05 can get me there.

I have a 16g evo and now a downward housing on my 18g, but im considering some changes now, goal 400 hp, for my goals 20g if I do it will have some mods done to it, im on link and sd coming with some 1120s so I can run e 85 and pump we have both here.

my buddy Austin at turbo lab did it for me. Looking at maybe getting a 20g upgrade with the best I can get in a 20. I had a evo, got another one just now, and considering getting rid of the 18g I need to move onto other parts for this project.

I've found that 16g's just leave you wanting more power. In my opinion a 20g is one of, if not the best street turbo for a DSM. Hits pretty damn hard and typically has a smoother torque curve.

Being still on the stock block, Id like to keep it reliable as possible. And I think 300 is a good number and plenty of people have told me the 16g is more than enough for that.

Ok updated list

Evo III 16g
Tial MVS Wastegate
Walbro 255
Aeromotive FPR
750-850cc Injectors
Speed Density
ARP Studs

+current mods on my profile.

Ive definetly thought about cams also. Just dont want to loose any bottom end power. Havent really researched a whole lot, but Id imagine something mild.

Nice list I want some cams thinking fp 272 for my set up. Gotta get my sd sensor and tuned, soon

Don't worry about cams for 300whp. I almost guarantee Boostin' will be able to hit 300whp on a 16g without cams.

HKS 264 cams would really compliment a 16g, great mid range. Stock cams should be fine for your goal though. I don't see the need for head studs either. Beautiful car btw.

If I had some extra money to spend after I get everything else on the list and found a good deal Id probably get some cams. But I think stock should be ok for now.

Why the wastegate? They work fine internally gated... Provided you don't have 3"pipe straight off the 02 housing. Example my setup: 2.5" outlet 02 housing (meganracing), to 3" adapter, 3"pipe until 3" cat. Controlled boost great until I gutted the cat...

I got a good deal on the wastegate. And I will have the guy who fabricated my exhaust complete the system with one of his o2 housings. I also plan on running a compressor cover that gets rid of the j-pipe.

A evo16g and a td05 20g are basically the same turbo. The 20g has a slightly larger inducer. They basically spool the same. Everyone acts like the 20g is laggy and the 16g spools like stock. The reality is the spool is about the same. A few extra grams on the compressor with the same exuder dimensions aren't going to effect spool by much. The td05h is so small anything you hang off it is going to spool fast.

Also, to the guy going from and 18g to a 20g. If you are planned Sticking with the 05h turbine, the 20g isnt going to be much of an upgrade. You should go 06h and have a solid 400hp turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back