The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Small or Regular 16G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoosted96GST

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
Avondale, Arizona
okay....i know..i know.....yet another 16G post. I've been searching for hours on here as well as all over the net. I just need someone to confirm this turbo part number, the turbo 49178-05200, I've read various posts were they say this is a "16G" then I read other posts were they say this is "Small 16G" sooo what is it? LOL i've been reading for hours hearing people say its one or the other can someone please confirm? thank you in advance

49178 - 01420 = Big 16g
49178 - 01520 = Small 16G
49178 - 01470 = Evo III 16g

I believe those are right. Anyways you have a small 16g.

ya i know the part numbers for the big and evo, but the small p/n is "01520" mine is "05200" i'm pretty sure it's a small 16G too but I was just wonderin if anyone could confirm from the p/n oh well, i'll just measure Inducer and Exducer, to make 100% sure what it really is. Thanks anyway

Yes, it is a small 16g. Some of those digits, either 5 or 2 is stamped rather than cast into the housing, right? I 've seen it done that way.

ya excatly, basically it's "0 casted (then a circular punch) and stamped in is 520, then 0 casted" alright cool, I haven't seen it done before thats why I was asking about what it could be, thanks

Regular (Small) 16G....unless someone machined the Small 16G cover to accept a larger wheel. I had two turbos at my shop last summer that would appear to be Small 16G's from the outside....a measurement of the compressor wheel showed they were both 18G's.

A Small 16G will appear to have a "step" in the compressor inlet, like the one in this photo:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the housing's machined to fit a larger wheel, the step will be missing like this 20G:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back