The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Slow Trap Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98eclipsers and iwantspeed, can you explain what you guys said? I don't see how a high 60' time will net a higher speed at the end of the track than a lower 60' in any situation (not saying it can't though). If that's the case, why wouldn't people ease it out of the hole and get on it further down the track? The way I'm thinking about it, with a good 60' time, it's almost the same as a speed and time head start.

stryker said:
98eclipsers and iwantspeed, can you explain what you guys said? I don't see how a high 60' time will net a higher speed at the end of the track than a lower 60' in any situation (not saying it can't though). If that's the case, why wouldn't people ease it out of the hole and get on it further down the track? The way I'm thinking about it, with a good 60' time, it's almost the same as a speed and time head start.
A drag race is all about ET, e.g. the Elapsed Time from breaking out of the second beam at the start to breaking the beam 1/4 mile away.

1/4 mile MPH is directly related to the amount of time accelerating. So if you spent .4secs more seconds accelerating thru the 60' (e.g. wheelspin) your car will have had that much more time to reach speed in the 1/4 mile (though at a slower ET) :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
A drag race is all about ET, e.g. the Elapsed Time from breaking out of the second beam at the start to breaking the beam 1/4 mile away.

1/4 mile MPH is directly related to the amount of time accelerating. So if you spent .4secs more seconds accelerating thru the 60' (e.g. wheelspin) your car will have had that much more time to reach speed in the 1/4 mile (though at a slower ET) :dsm:

I can't get my logger to work, do you guys have any ideas of idea what is wrong? My cable is not like the one in that picture on ebay. I have two wires coming off the serial cable and one has one connector on it and the other one has a connector with a wire jumped off of it and another connector on the wire jumped off of the second connector. I know that might not make any sense, if it doesn't then I can take a pic of it later tonight. Let me know if you have any ideas.

98eclipseRS said:
You do know IWANTSPEED is correct right?? I guess not, when you get a clue about how drag racing physics works then come back in here trying to act sick and calling people retards.

looks like your the retard considering i was sayin that your observations were retardidly obvious. drrrr. :toobad:

ChvyKc said:
I can't get my logger to work, do you guys have any ideas of idea what is wrong? My cable is not like the one in that picture on ebay. I have two wires coming off the serial cable and one has one connector on it and the other one has a connector with a wire jumped off of it and another connector on the wire jumped off of the second connector. I know that might not make any sense, if it doesn't then I can take a pic of it later tonight. Let me know if you have any ideas.

yes please take a pic. It sounds like my logger cable for my 1g back in the day. The one wire by itself goes to the top of the diagnostics port. and the other wires connect to the bottom. The main wire goes on top of the jumpered wire when you plug them onto the posts in the bottom of the diagnotics port. I hope that made sense haha.

x<-top of diagnostics port/lone wire.

x<-bottom of diagnostics port/main wire of the two
x<-wire jumpered from the wire above.

98eclipseRS said:
yes please take a pic. It sounds like my logger cable for my 1g back in the day. The one wire by itself goes to the top of the diagnostics port. and the other wires connect to the bottom. The main wire goes on top of the jumpered wire when you plug them onto the posts in the bottom of the diagnotics port. I hope that made sense haha.

x<-top of diagnostics port/lone wire.

x<-bottom of diagnostics port/main wire of the two
x<-wire jumpered from the wire above.

Yeah, I have it hooked up right, I don't know what is wrong with it. I had the guy that I bought the thing from write me an e-mail and everything is done right but I can't get it to read anything. I am using MMCD with a Palm IIIC and a hotsynce cable (not cradle), any suggestions? It has worked in the past and the palm will hotsync with my lap-top.

Maybe the cable went bad??? I don't konw man I don't see why it would work before but not now. Did it short out anywhere? Maybe try uploading mmcd to your palm again and see if that works.

98eclipseRS said:
Maybe the cable went bad??? I don't konw man I don't see why it would work before but not now. Did it short out anywhere? Maybe try uploading mmcd to your palm again and see if that works.

The cable was bad. The connector with the jump wire coming off of it came loose last night. I think that I am just going to buy a pocket logger so I won't have so many problems or build another cable and solder the connections.

DSM90AWD said:

To a point this is true. However in a fwd you arent' actually accelerating to your full potential theirfore your mph can be down compared to if you have slicks. My mid track mph is allmost always the same. The quicker my sixtey the quicker my mid track mph due to the traction problems. Then the top end mph gain is just raw power.

So it depends if your spinning because you dropped the clutch too fast then bite and jump your mph up. Or if you don't have the traction to get decent mph. Most fwd guys have abnormally high mph while being underpowered however.

My guess is you're knocking pretty bad in fourth. With all of the mods you have, I would expect at least a high 12. I ran a 13.8 @ 96 with just k&n, free mods, and 3" catback. I also had to short shift 3rd because i was creeping.

screwdgie said:
My guess is you're knocking pretty bad in fourth. With all of the mods you have, I would expect at least a high 12. I ran a 13.8 @ 96 with just k&n, free mods, and 3" catback. I also had to short shift 3rd because i was creeping.

Yeah, I ran a 13.7 @ 96 without the turbo, manifold and the MAS upgrades and they made a huge difference in the top end of the car. I was also having problems hooking up that night, the track just wasn't prepped good at all.

I have also found out since then that I have a huge boost leak, so I need to get that fixed. I am hoping for a mid-low 12 before April with an intercooler/suspension upgrade.

DSM90AWD said:

You got a point.

Well it really depends on the car, gearing, wheelspin and other factors.

He're my experience..

Car: FWD Lancer/Mirage, AWD tranny locked center diff
Engine: all stock 1G GVR4 Engine, 450cc, 14b turbo. 14 psi boost.

I've run a 2.54 60' time, 99.12 mph trapspeed and 14.7 ET. I had wheelspin up to 3rd gear bec of crappy tires and just launching at 3.5k rpm while babying the gas pedal on 1st and 2nd gears. I gained speed at 3rd when the tires were biting.

I guess if I can use slicks and make a 1.8s 60' time, I'm thinking I might have a lower trap speed since I covered 60' in less time. Or maybe, have the same trap speed or higher since I'll be gaining more speed on the first few feets with lesser time. I'm thinking that if I can lower my 60' time, I can get a lower ET, probably 13s.

Here's some actual data, I know this is a little OT but a nice topic to talk about, it bothers me a little because my ET sucks and because dragracing is all bout ET.

4g63T 4 door lancer vs b16 4 door honda SiR

0.812 reaction 0.717
2.543 60' 2.398
6.568 330' 6.354
79.37 mph1 73.77
9.7? 660' 9.675
12.4? 990' 12.459
99.12 mph2 92.21
14.708 1320' 14.971

When I passed this car, I blew by him, 3 or more cars length when I checked my rear view upon hitting the finish line, but he jumps on me at the starting line 2-3 cars

My cousin bought the car and we're setting it up for more power, but have to invest on drag slicks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back