The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Slow spooling HX-40. Suggestions....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Few short logs today. No noticable difference 10 psi by 4k in 3rd gear. This is going WOT at 3k rpm in 3rd. Same test netted me 13-14psi in 4th gear.

If I actually lauched the car in 1st and went though all the gears I'm sure it would be better. I'll try to get out of town and get a decent 1/4 pass out of it this weekend. I have a scan master II I can get some base lines from.

That's just strange. I really expected the crack to be the main cause. Any chance you have another one somewhere that you can't see? (although I assume you had the mani off when you welded it. LOL)

I'm digging the steel rule used for a brace. ;)

Forgot to update the first post explaining the "ruler brace" ROFL

Taking off the manifold to weld it? Nahh!:D I know it would have been better to clean the carbon off the back for the best weld. (Hoping there wasn’t much carbon with e85.) This crack was so conveniently located I couldn’t bring myself to dismantle everything. I just stop drilled it and went to town. I was able to get good penetration and quite a bit of heat in it.

You would a think a .63 housing would spool a bit faster than a .70. Of course I may not see full boost on a .70 AR until 5500rpm with my setup. Who knows… 10lbs on this turbo feels healthy. I’m not that disappointed with it. It’s just a huge change from the light switch like spool-up of the E316g. Maybe I’ll pick up a .55 BEP housing down the road. Esp. if this manifold falls apart! WTF

Last edited:
Going from a 25" to a 27" tire helped spool out a bit.

Last edited:
Migth have stumbled across a variable I didn't think of today. Maybe ambient temperature effects spool speed moreon alcohol fuels. I'm thinking my intake charge temps may be to low with the large FMIC and E85. I had noticed that my spool times slowed a good 2-300 rpm recently. Today was unseasonably warm at 57* on my ride home and my missing spool rpm came back. Back to 10.9 by 4k. I did a quick 4th gear pull from 3000 and I was at 18.5 by 4k.

Could be something totally unrelated to the weather as well. I may try blocking my IC with some cardboard and speed tape in the winter months. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:
Newest Log...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you still havingthese spool issues? If so doyou happen to have an old t3 turbine housing laying around in .48 or .63 ar? If so i'd be willing to do you an awesomelynever again priced favor of machinign you a housing for next to nothing just to see if i can help you out.. I"m runnin the hX408 blade58mm ind.83mmexd. which holset calls the hx40 "49 trim" and i getfull boost by 4100-4200 in third starting at 3500'ish RPMand in fith i can open the wastegate at 25psi even before 4k RPMnow that there's some tuning on the setup..I'd really be willing to help with sacrificingtimeand labor to donate to your cause,i'd really like to see you happy with the setup and i apreciate the timeyou took to answer my PM's while i was assembling my holset setup

just hit me up if interested,and when i say deal, i won't mention it on here out of fear of a hundred peoplewantingsomething that compared in price when ijust cant and wont' do it unless i'mcompelled to want to help some one like in this case

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back