The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Slow Spool - 14B w/ 7cm Housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboyle23

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
So I just finished putting on a 14b because my 16g died due to a kink in the oil feed line. I used the 7cm housing from the 16g on it.

I am not getting full boost until around 4.5k then it slowly creeps up to 16. I have it set to 13-14 right now. After each shift, I have to build boost again.

I checked all couplers and tightened them all down really well. I am sure there are no boost leaks from loose clamps. Wideband reads where it should.

I have the following mods:
255 with afpr
evo3 exhaust manifold
ported 2g o2 housing
3" exhaust
stock injectors

What kinds of things can cause this?
Any answers will help and I will check all of them when it cools down.

Do an actual boost leak test, and check for pre turbine exhaust leaks. Also make sure to check that the wategate flapper is sealing.

My E316G spooled fully by 3200-3400rpm's. I ended up install a 14b with the 7cm housing, spool is 3300-3500rpm's now. No boost leaks up to 25psi, no exhaust leaks either (tested with seafoam). So I would check the pre-exhaust gaskets like others have said.

+1 on the boost leak test. It always is the first thing I do when a problem of this nature happens.

If you gasket turns out to be fine try another boost controller. I had the same problem for some reason my boost controller would hold 10psi till 5K RPM then shoot to my desired boost level. Once I swapped to an eBay MBC it was perfect.

All manifold the turbo bolts are torqued to 43ft lbs. The manifold to head bolts are torqued to 17ft lbs. The top left stud from the head to the manifold broke off, but it was running fine with my 16g the same way. I will have to check the flapper for the wastegate, I don't think that it is bolted ALL the way down.

I have the same problem on my evo lll but its because my wg flapper its not closing all the way so I'm gonna shim the wg see if that fixes it

I thought the two bolts that hold the wastegate actuator were just there to keep the actuator from moving around, so they are BARELY bolted in. Tomorrow morning I will tighten them down fully.

Decided to do it tonight and BAM, Power is back :p

Great to hear you got it fixed, it's nice to see a resolved thread.

So I am getting full spool on this setup at around 4300 rpm, which is TERRIBLE. I have no exhaust or boost leaks except a small one at the TB like everyone else.

I have a 14b with a 7cm housing and an evo3 exhaust manifold. If I toss on my old 2g manifold will it spool faster? I would think it would because of the smaller outlet on the EM that it would flow at a higher velocity, would I be correct? The top end power of this setup is great, but it just takes way too long to get there.

do you have any kind of tuning device? try advancing your timing just a tad

Check for boost leaks and pre-turbo exhaust leaks, maybe the manifold or the turbine housing have cracks in them? it could also be a wastegate problem, make sure hoses are routed right, and the flapper is staying shut and not loose.

maybe you should pull the o2 housing off and look at the flapper.. it could be carboned up enough that its not seeling for nothing

The wastegate wasn't seating properly so I shimmed the bolts with washers and now it is seated. I turned down my MBC so it would be set at wastegate pressure, but the boost skyrockets to over 16. What is this from?

Any updates to this thread?
Looks like it fell off the face of the earth, or am I missing something?

I have School project w/ 14b that class is rebuilding.
The exhaust turbine housing has some good size cracks in both turbine area and across wastegate opening.
I Ass-u-me this warrants replacement

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Any updates to this thread?
Looks like it fell off the face of the earth, or am I missing something?

The exhaust turbine housing has some good size cracks in both turbine area and across wastegate opening.

I thought I Had close up pictures on phone, but didn't make.
Will have to post later.

This thread is to old,

However there is a vendor selling Chinese exhaust housings on eBay for cheap and they work fenomenal as replacement.

Do a research here in tuners to find the source, so you get the one I’m talking about, there are some housings with the holes not aligning right and of course you don’t want that.
I bought one of those housings years ago, but I don’t remember the name of the vendor

Yup, that's scrap. It's probably cracked to the exterior around the radius of the turbine as well.

Replacement is your only option- although new 6cm2 housings haven't been available for quite some time. The only new option is an aftermarket 7cm2 housing which will cost a few hundred RPMs of spool over a "healthy" 6cm2 housing...but still have better response than a badly-cracked 6cm2 housing just because the wastegate can actually seal.

Best advice I can give you- unless you're using a full OEM MHI rebuild kit, you should clean and reuse the existing thrust parts assuming they're not worn (14B's typically only experience thrust wear if there's an engine failure). The thrust parts that come in aftermarket (Chinese) rebuild kits aren't very durable, and the machined surfaces on the collars aren't the best so they can effect balance greatly once the shaft is torqued. You won't have these issues with the OEM parts.

Best advice I can give you- unless you're using a full OEM MHI rebuild kit, you should clean and reuse the existing thrust parts assuming they're not worn (14B's typically only experience thrust wear if there's an engine failure). The thrust parts that come in aftermarket (Chinese) rebuild kits aren't very durable, and the machined surfaces on the collars aren't the best so they can effect balance greatly once the shaft is torqued. You won't have these issues with the OEM parts.

THANK you so much for the input.

So would turbo lab bearing kits be chinese also?
Turbo lab also has housings for $150.
I have been looking at a used EVO III GT (Big 16g?) and tube header ex. manifold, that may have been run together, but seller not sure.
It has a cracked turbine housing also, but nothing near as bad looking from pictures as my 14b, but you know how that goes.

If it doesn't come in Mitsubishi packaging or from another trusted parts vendor like Melett, it's likely from mainland China. Not necessarily a bad thing as Chinese parts have improved drastically over the past decade or so...in fact most aftermarket performance turbocharger manufacturers at this point have sourced at least some part of their unit from China...usually in an attempt to keep costs down so the end result remains affordable. Just don't get confused with complete Chinese turbos being the way to go as often they do not accept Genuine parts as a way to skate around copyright laws on shaft and wheel sizes...so performance and reliability will usually suffer. There's another thread on here where I highlighted the use of knockoff 20G outer housing with a billet MHI TD05H 20G CHRA to build an affordable, durable upgrade:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/billet-machined-compressor-wheel-facts.529788/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back