The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

slow cranking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emeracing

Proven Member
Sep 3, 2014
oakhurst, California
ok i have a 95 eagle talon tsi i have a new battery a new starter and a alternator but some times the cranking is slow but fires over its like a 50/50 chance if i get fast start or slow start when i try to start it what do you think it is ive done a voltage test and everything looks and so does the wires so im stuck what do you all think

Did you do a voltage drop test on the starter, battery?

Sounds like wiring or not getting proper voltage. If that all checks out and wires power/ground are good check for spark and fuel. Timing good?

What mods?

Seen new (actually reman) starters go wacky from the beginning. Had do put another one in right after I did the install two days later with the same issue .. slow starting.

Got a warranty return with that bad one.

-DSM

Take a good quality multimeter. Set it on the Volts DC scale. Put the black or ground on the battery - post. Check the voltage at the positive post. Crank the car and see what the battery is holding at. Remember, a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts at rest. A battery that is either discharged or bad is around 12.2 or so. If you are dropping below 9.7 volts while cranking, most vehicles do not have sufficient energy to fire the plugs. If that part is good, leaving the ground on the negative post, put the positive probe on the battery terminal and repeat. If that is good, then go to the starter post. The drop should be absolutely minimal. You can reverse the procedure and check the grounds. Somewhere you should be able to locate your either bad connection or defective component. It's all process of elimination. I wish you well.

Update: the alternator voltage reg failed today when my problem got worse so im 95% sure that was the problem for my slow starts but also when i cranked it over it dropped to 9.2 volts on the tester and they tested battery and it passed but alt didnt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back