The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Slow acceleration while under boost load.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
I have recently ran into an issue with my acceleration being poor when the boost begins to build. There is no bucking or jarring that takes place just a very noticeable lack of acceleration. I have been running the boost around 1 bar while driving casually on the street. The ignition seems healthy and the plugs are brand new all NGK. Where the engine used to just rip when boost climbs it just seems to stay linear in power as the boost rises. I have done multiple boost leak tests and didn't find any noticeable leaks but the vacuum on the gauge isn't down where it used to be it is a bit off from usual at about 400 mmhg in comparison of 500 mmhg before my boost gauge is a metric greddy so sorry if this makes it harder to crunch the numbers. If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them thank you.

Isnt fuel pressure supposed to rise w boost?
Boost pressure when added puts a load against fuel pressure in which fuel pressure to the injectors is lowered at a 1=1 ratio. For every pound of boost the FPR must compensate for each pound of boost charged to the cylinder to maintain the correct Air/Fuel ratio, too much boost and the sytem will experience a lean condition.

I saw a photo yesterday of a flex pipe that had deteriorated into just a small opening on the inside for the exhaust to flow thru. Just a thought, have you checked out for any possibility of a restriction in the exhaust system?
To be honest that is something i thought about but dismissed immediately which brought back up makes a lot of sense. I think later i will take off some of the exhaust and inspect it. Thank you.

Yes the gauge reads boost, it hits 1 bar with no issues. The fuel pressure stays consistent around 43 to 44 lbs under load.
This is a problem. If you're running one bar boost pressure should be the static pressure of the fuel should be regulator plus 1 bar more at 1 bar of boost. If you're saying 43 psi at full boost I would start looking there. The car would have to be lean and pulling timing like crazy.

This is a problem. If you're running one bar boost pressure should be the static pressure of the fuel should be regulator plus 1 bar more at 1 bar of boost. If you're saying 43 psi at full boost I would start looking there. The car would have to be lean and pulling timing like crazy.
So is the base fuel pressure set too low?

Ok i got off work a little early so i decided to go home and drive it around a bit and monitored the fuel pressure gauge when i started getting into boost. The fuel pressure increases in unison with the boost pressure. Looking around a bit i found a hose clamp that had become stripped from over tightening right after the BOV. I replaced it and drove it around a bit then layed into the throttle. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thank you for answering the thread.

Ok i got off work a little early so i decided to go home and drive it around a bit and monitored the fuel pressure gauge when i started getting into boost. The fuel pressure increases in unison with the boost pressure. Looking around a bit i found a hose clamp that had become stripped from over tightening right after the BOV. I replaced it and drove it around a bit then layed into the throttle. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thank you for answering the thread.

thanks for updating us with your fix!

That’s where I was going. If your hitting full boost, it’s either pulling timing or the clutch is slipping. He might be able to hit 1 bar with a restricted exhaust but you’d have a noticeable feeling and it would sound weird.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back