The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Slim Fans (Aftermarket cooling system)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimG

N/T Moderator
Jun 28, 2002
Aurora, ON_Canada
Enough is enough. I've had enough of my stock cooling system fans turning off for no apparent reason. My car used to be set up with AC but I recently took it out with my engine swap. Yet I put both fans back in.

My FMIC is block air flow to my rad, so I keep both fans running all the time just to keep coolant temperatures in moderation. That worked great for a couple weeks. Now both my fans seem to cut out for no apparent reason and my coolant temperatures skyrocket.

I decided to rig up a cooling system using my stock rad, new wiring, an auto relay, an in-cockpit switch, the help of my automotive electrical engineer friend and slimfans.

My question is this: <i> What size slim fans should I purchase to it will fit my stock rad? I tried to measure but I wasn't sure to what inch I'm going to need.

Also, how will I mount it to my rad? Are the mounts universal or would I have to fabricate something up?</i>

Thanks, Tim.

mine are 12 inches and they come with metal things that you adjust to where the bolts go. I got mine from buschurracing.

Originally posted by TimG
My FMIC is block air flow to my rad, so I keep both fans running all the time just to keep coolant temperatures in moderation. That worked great for a couple weeks. Now both my fans seem to cut out for no apparent reason and my coolant temperatures skyrocket.
Skyrocket to what level? DSMs want to run at 190°F. They may be shutting off because they're happy.

Originally posted by Defiant
Skyrocket to what level? DSMs want to run at 190°F. They may be shutting off because they're happy.
Logger states 215 degrees. I have it happy around 175 with both fans blowing.

here is the never over heat cooling solution

1 fluidyne 1G rad

1 13" spal puller fan

1 permacool adjustable fan controle module with threaded temp sensor

Install the temp sensor in the t-stat housing where the vac temp senor loop was. (Don’t remember the exact name)

Set the fan control module to kick on at 180*

never over heat again
:thumb:

Originally posted by jdmawd
Install the temp sensor in the t-stat housing where the vac temp senor loop was. (Don’t remember the exact name)

Can you take a picture of that? Looked it over and not sure what you are talking about.

Thanks.

Originally posted by PaulPDX
Can you take a picture of that? Looked it over and not sure what you are talking about.

Thanks.

yeah i can do it for you later today:thumb:

This first picture is of the control module and optional relay for a second fan. I initially Planned to use a smaller spal in addition to the 13" im using but clearance issues prevented this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This second picture is of the actual temperature probe threaded into the t-stat housing which controls when the fans turn on and off. Engagement temperature is selectable on the head of the control module in the first picture.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks! great pictures. This is going to do a lot of good going into the archives. Should be added to a faq somewhere if there is one (vfaq is grossly outdated with plenty of bad links).

Three trivial questions...

1) what did you do with the stock sensor and fan harness? tape them up and set aside?

2) is the optional relay for a second fan included in the Permacool control unit? I mean when you bought it... did it come with it? or is it something you rigged up on your own?

3) do you find it necessary to have another fan? my C&R radiator came with just one fan. My mechanic insists that if the A/C is used at all, a secondary fan is necessary. I find that very questionable since I hardly ever use the A/C (even in 100 degree days).

1) what did you do with the stock sensor and fan harness? tape them up and set aside?

exactly

2) is the optional relay for a second fan included in the Permacool control unit? I mean when you bought it... did it come with it? or is it something you rigged up on your own

the relay is offered through permacool. Its a $30 option and comes with wiring instructions.

3) do you find it necessary to have another fan? my C&R radiator came with just one fan. My mechanic insists that if the A/C is used at all, a secondary fan is necessary. I find that very questionable since I hardly ever use the A/C (even in 100 degree days).

The fluidyne and one 13" or larger fan will not over heat in the summer. Even when using the AC.

My fan is a 13" Spal. Safe to assume the stock fan control isn't good enough to keep the car from overheating?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back