The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Slight rattle at cruising speed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilRedSpyder

Proven Member
May 2, 2019
Livingston, Louisiana
So the car runs great aside from the slight lil rattle when I’m at cruising speed in 4th or 5th gear. Also it doesn’t do it steadily, it’s only when the throttle/rpm is in one specific spot. If i accelerate even the slightest or lift off the rattle stops rather quickly. I’m talking a very lil change up or down in rpm and it’s gone.

The bottom end was recently rebuilt and everything torqued to correct specs and patterns. Anyone have any idea what the issue could possibly be? The head was refreshed with BC springs and retainers, new valve guides, seals, upgraded HLAs, etc with maybe 5k miles max on the head. I’m running black box ecu and tactrix. Any feedback is much appreciated!

It sounds like it could be in the top end. It’s more of a faster sounding chatter than a spun bearing. I definitely can pick those out with no problem... but it puzzles the **** outta me due to how quickly it goes away with a lil rpm change either direction.

Correct. And no heat shields in the vicinity. I recently swapped cams and have decided that I’m gonna swap them back. Gonna also go ahead and clean my lifters and rockers good with diesel before I put em back in. I’m thinking it may be something in that area bc it wasn’t doing this before swapping cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back