The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Slight Header Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryceorbiter

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2008
Freeland, Michigan
So my header is a 4-1 and at some point in the winter it got a smallish crack where the pipes converge into 1. It wasn't to big of an issue at the time, sometimes I would get a CEL for the O2 not getting a good signal, but it ran fine other than the lowered gas mileage.

Well today I was leaving class and i guess the crack has been getting bigger, because my car was screaming, so i popped the hood and sure enough its almost completely torn off now. My question is since I should be getting turbo parts in a couple of weeks, or worst case scenario, be welding it in two.

Should i be worried about it right now, are their are any major issues that are going to come from this. My flex pipe rusted out on the stock system last winter and It ran fine, so i figure this should other than the O2 not getting a signal.

Weld it back together. If it has not busted completely in two, stop-drill the crack prior to welding.

Yah it completely broke off Wednesday so i welded it yesterday, only problem I have now is that I used a universal Bosch O2 Sensor that had me splice wires and the car is still dropping the CEL. I haven't been able to check it yet but i figured that its probably still the O2 being the problem.

Inspect the wiring for the o2 sensor, if they are in the vicinity of where the crack was. They may have been damaged by the hot exhaust gasses.

Ok just checked all the wiring and its all good, the only thing i can think of is that i need a new gasket at for the downpipe, but thats after the O2 so idk whats up.

Found out the problem, on the flex pipe i used, the pipe tie did not crimp the pipe all the way to the downpipe, once i fixed it the CEL went right away.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back