The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Slight Grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearsauce

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2013
Green Lane, Pennsylvania
I just got my transmission replaced from synchros, forks, and gears all being bad. Everything worked perfect at first, but after a few days, it started grinding slightly while going into 2nd and 3rd gear. Its only when putting it into gear, once its in gear it works perfect. The only time I kinda have to force it into second is on a cold engine when the outside temp is really low. It's usually okay if I'm double clutching. I don't really mind it now, but I'd rather fix it if it's something that's going to get worse. My clutch pedal is also kinda mushy and squeaks loudly, so maybe the MC? I'm hoping that has something to do with it. Any thoughts?

have you checked for clutch drag? where does the pedal engage? What kind of fluid did you put in it?

Yeah, sounds like a clutch ajustment or hydralic problem. Bleed the system and have someone adjust the pedal height/engagement point properly if you don't know how. If thats not it then you have mechanical problem that will require pulling the trans back out to inspect the dow pins, clutch, flywheel, to bearing, and possibly the rebuild you just had done.

I took it to my mechanic, he said he bled the clutch and adjusted the pedal. It made it less mushy than before but the squeak seems to be getting louder, and it was probly shortly after that, that it started grinding. The clutch engages near the top.

I assume you have checked the trans fluid to make sure it's at appropriate level?

I would absolutely check your fluid level and also what kind of trans fluid are you running?

Yeah fluid level is good. Not sure whats in there, havent changed it since I got it, 4 months ago.

Did you test for clutch drag?

Try putting the car in first gear on a level surface. Leave the clutch in and rev to 7000 and hold it. If the car moves at all... You have a big problem and should stop driving the car until you can figure out why your clutch is dragging.

There is a link I read before that talks about it. Here a quick google search found it:

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/clutch-drag-kills-synchros

Also I had this problem and it was because my slave cylinder was failing and not pushing the clutch far enough. New slave fixed it for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back