The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Slight bottom end knock and very thin oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jahlen

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2017
Georgetown, Ohio
So I'm assuming a rebuild well at the very least rod bearings my oil is like water thin could anybody shed some light on what would be easier.. Either just swapping out the engine or fixing the bottom end.. Haven't done a compression test get but I'm assuming with the light bottom end knock there is no need to.. I've only had this car (91 laser rs turbo) for about two weeks and only got to drive it 3 times due to other problems I've had with the car. It had 2g maf that I swapped back to the stock one also had 650 injectors I also swapped back to 450s.. Found a couple boost leaks one coming from the throttle body on the tps side and intake manifold gasket or leaky injector seals... Really feel like I got f'ed over on this car 2300$ and it's bacicly a yard ornament right now

Also worth taking a listen to this video:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I spun a few rod bearings last Summer and it made this EXACT noise. You die slowly inside with every tick.

If it turns out to be rod bearing/main bearing knock, you're looking at pulling the whole engine, taking the crankshaft out to get machined (if still in tolerance), new main/rod bearings, new gaskets, oil, filter and of course the labor. I don't know how much it would cost where you're at, but maybe try using this to calculate how much it would be.

I can do all the work myself I've done it before but why would I have to pull the whole motor just for the crank I should be able to pull the trans and the flywheel and oil pan right

I can do all the work myself I've done it before but why would I have to pull the whole motor just for the crank I should be able to pull the trans and the flywheel and oil pan right

Technically, you could do it with the engine still in the bay, but it could prove more difficult and time consuming. You have to take the head with both manifolds out, remove the oil pan, exhaust downpipe, lateral frame member, engine mounts and transmission. Then take the crankshaft girdles/journals out, and lift the pistons/rods from up top. You also have to worry about removing the timing belt, crank pulley, and anything the crank is attached to. And so on...

You'll need another crank, and at least one rod. The rest of the engine parts that come in contact with oil will need to be cleaned, and the oil cooler will need replaced.

Also worth taking a listen to this video:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I spun a few rod bearings last Summer and it made this EXACT noise. You die slowly inside with every tick.

If it turns out to be rod bearing/main bearing knock, you're looking at pulling the whole engine, taking the crankshaft out to get machined (if still in tolerance), new main/rod bearings, new gaskets, oil, filter and of course the labor. I don't know how much it would cost where you're at, but maybe try using this to calculate how much it would be.
Mine doesn't sound near as bad as your video LOL... like I said I just started it up I didn't rev it really high...I started it got it to about 2k stopped and took this video and shut it down I've had rod bearings mess up on my b4 when I had a 3sgte swapped celica... I was at red line when that one spun and had to drive it home.. And still then I did not have to replace the crank just the rod and bearing.. But I got lucky on that.. I've seen a lot of 4gs that spun a bearing and just replaced the bearing and are still driving their cars today.. But there is still no way to tell as I have not taken the oil pan off to check on damage done yet

Seems like it's heading definitely towards rebuild. Yours doesn't sound as bad as the first video posted but sounds like it might be leaning that way quickly.

Seems like it's heading definitely towards rebuild. Yours doesn't sound as bad as the first video posted but sounds like it might be leaning that way quickly.
Yea that's why I didn't rev it and shut it right off but I did just now start it again and I didn't hear any knocking at all just a really bad lifter tick... This car is really playing with my emotions LOL I'm gonna take the oil pan off this weekend and see the damage if any but I'm gonna expect the worst and just hope for the best... But if I need a rebuild I have a buddy 20min away that has everything I need to rebuild mine for free

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back