1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build #Sleeper_Beauty

Rating:
5/5,
Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Don't you just love how one project turns into 20 nearly every time you dig into something? The wiring and the brake lines aren't going to be an improvement you feel, but the suspension and subframe bushing updates will be. The car will feel so much better because of that. I bet your fab skills are improving every day with all of the custom work you're doing.

Street Build 9K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 8K  10  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  2. SlipknotSmoothi

SlipknotSmoothi Proven Member

Joined Feb 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Yeah, the rear suspension was really unplanned. I wanted to do the bushings and coil overs... in 3 months. The rear diff bushings actually looked okay from afar - 100% misleading. The wiring and brakes may not help how it feels, but it will definitely help how I feel - as in I at least know that its safe and right. Add the OE brake hardlines to the list of things I'll never do myself again. Ever. When this thing blesses the ground it touches, I expect it to be a truly amazing experience.

My fab skills are definitely growing, and I love that. I'm able to hook that into so many other projects now, too, and have no intentions of slowing that down.

Street Build 1K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 797  0

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    Ludachris and ErikTande like this.
  3. SlipknotSmoothi

Joined Feb 24, 2011
    Captains Log 07202020;

Any one notice how hot it is outside? Its really hot outside. And it is slowing me down. Looks like the #6 rigid fuel line I'm using for the return is in the best place its going to get. Hoping to re-flare it today and mount the afpr. I'm going to have to lower the front subframe a little bit, my #8 send line has a permanent kink at the fitting due to poor bending technique. Not mad about it, plenty of line to work with, just need to pull it through and redo the flare.

The rear subframe has new bushings, rear diff has new bushings - the POM's that GSX_Dude sells. The k-sport coil overs are lightly mounted to the body, for now. I'm so damn excited to see how this feels. But wait, there is more! My box of rear toe-arms from Rock Auto arrived today and I'm waiting on USPS to deliver the poly-bushing master kit from extremepsi, ETA is about 2 hours on that. So damn excited to see how this feels. Not excited about being in the heat to replace all the bushings, but meh. Slow and steady.

I've also started running the wire I have for my battery relocation. I haven't spoken much about that, there is nothing really special about it, except I'm running the wire much like the fuel lines while the rear subframe is out. It feels like I'm counting down the days until "The Crankening" but it also feels like its never going to arrive.

That is all I have for now. Roll credits.

Street Build 1K  4

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 797  0

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    pat white and Ludachris like this.
  4. SlipknotSmoothi

Joined Feb 24, 2011
    Captain's log 07282020;

Work on the suspension is so slow. I've received all of the bushings and arms that require replacement. I've got the bushings in for the sub-frame, diff, rear passenger side knuckle, upper control arm and .... what I believe to be called the rear toe arm? Its the rear arm with the ball joint. I actually have both of those with prothane bushings in them.

Today, I've already started trying to remove the lower control arm from the sub-frame, so that I can replace those bushings as well - they're certainly bad though not the worst. While trying to remove the passenger side, the sway bar link fell apart. Another $50-you-to-death punch to the face. Already got replacement Moog's on the way from RockAuto. While this journey is exhausting in itself, the heat is certainly not helping. Even though its only 8:30am, its already too hot to handle more than 30 minutes out at a time. It feels like I'm never going to make progress on this and I'm becoming discouraged.

I'm going to try to keep chipping away at this, so that maybe one day this year I can get things reassembled back there.

Roll Credits.

Street Build 1K  4

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 797  0

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Dealing with old bushings and seized up bolts in 90 degree heat and high humidity can't be much fun. I remember burning out my bushings with a torch in the rainy (yet very mild temp) winter and it was a pain in the ass.

Street Build 9K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 8K  10  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  6. SlipknotSmoothi

Joined Feb 24, 2011
    Its soooooo miserable. I'm spending 20 to 30 minutes out at a time, coming in completely soaked and exhausted. Looks like I finally got all of the old out of the passenger side. I may try to video the driver side, dont know yet. It shouldn't take as long with the 'more right' tools. Sway bar links appear to want to arrive on Thursday - that is pretty decent ... and should conclude the adventures of a 'built rear suspension'.

Street Build 1K  4

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 797  0

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  7. SlipknotSmoothi

Joined Feb 24, 2011
    Captains log, 08032020;

This week, I struggle to get back into a routine of updating on Mondays. Mission success... this time. I spent most of my weekend exporting a migraine stimulating amount of effort from my back, shoulders, and arms directly to the remaining rear bushings. In addition to that work, I spent a lot of my week also doing the same. We're in a mostly good place now. The subframe is virtually ready to go back in. The lower control arms are really testing me, as pushing in the new bushings causes the end of the arm to deform slightly - easy enough to bend back into position. Would not recommend to friends and family, will likely look for something that isn't stamped metal for the future. Also .... keeping 3G eclipse rear end open as a possibility. Until then, we move along.

While prepping everything to go back together, I took off the sway bar to install those bushings - they are the last ones to do. I'm not sure how to go about it just yet - the old ones are cut or split, making it easy to get on/off - new ones are solid..... and look like they slide on. Meh. I'll figure it out, I'm sure its documented here some where. The sway bar itself is pretty rusty. We're going to run it, for better or for worse, until I figure out what I'm doing next. Replace it with a larger one? Or again with the 3G rear? The future is uncertain. The new sway bar links are here, and MOOG isn't disappointing. They're looking quiet strong compared to what ever was there. OE? Autozone? Ebay? Who knows. I bent the bar trying to get them out. Don't think I'll be doing that with these replacements.

I did get to spend some time away from the suspension drama long enough to work on the fuel system. Another test of mental, physical, emotional endurance. I had to cut my -8AN rigid send line at the front subframe because I kinked it not once but twice. I then had to lower said subframe enough to get the line back to where it should be. Looks like my next best course of action is actually to go braided from this point to the filter. I wanted to avoid that... but it'll be fine. There is no gain or loss in either direction. I picked up a 90 degree -8AN fitting for the sending unit. Guess what. Too tall. Doesn't clear the metal pan/cap under the seat. No surprise and because I expected that, I only bought one of them. I think what I'm going to do with this is cut a small hole in that metal plate around the 'working area' of the fitting, and weld up a slightly higher spot that clears the unit ... yet still hopefully large enough that it doesn't interfere with the seat. Honestly, I don't like a lot of passengers, but my kids do ride back there. I need it safe for them to be back there. At the end of the day, none of these are show-stoppers, just more work. More unexpected work. More delays. Sigh.

Picture time.
    photo_2020-08-03_12-25-52.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-49.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-46.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-42.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-39.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-35.jpg photo_2020-08-03_12-25-23.jpg
    Roll credits.

Street Build 1K  4

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 797  0

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I dig the perseverance. Keep at it, sometimes you'll beat your head against the wall, then turn around with raised hands of joy on the DSM roller coaster of love/hate.

It's all worth it in the end if you asked me!

Street Build 809  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

754  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM