The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Sinister 9 second street build - 97 Talon AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well guys I think It's time for bit of an update. Got the car started Sunday evening for the first time!!! Didn't want to idle, but wasn't worried about that. I just wanted to hear it run and I finally got to after a lot of $$ and nothing to show for it! Well now I have something to show!! Have had a few bugs to work out like the brake shield grinding on the rotor, the ignition control module kept wiggling lose so i had to zip tie it down, fixed a few boost leaks and fluid leaks (still have to fix my small oil drain line leak that comes through the bolt holes, my oil pressure sender leak, and a minuscule tranny line leak.

Have a problem with my brand new hallman pro, seems to be a boost leak coming from it and still have yet to check my gauge to make sure It's not leaking there also.

Here's my first start up video!! :thumb:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qeClcnkMC4I

I'll have another in the morning so you can hear the exhaust work i had done today!!

Last edited:
Well I figured it was time for another update, have had the car running for 10 days now and been working the small bugs out along the way.

Fixed a boost leak at my boost gauge, several along the ic piping. Also installed a cat "test" pipe in my stock exhaust and welded on a Megan racing 4" tip which makes the car sound real nice and not too loud (for now LOL). Car seems to pull pretty damn hard for 10 psi on my 16g so i can't wait to crank the boost up to 14 psi before I get close to fuel cut and have to wait for more $$ and mods LOL

YouTube

After all this I had the car running for 3 days and took it on a long road trip (12 hr drive) to Colorado to visit my cousins because my aunt just passed away a few months ago and finally had time to go visit them. Got back this last Sunday and car made it great. Drove smooth and got me a surprising 25 mpg on the highway!!

Going to order a Megan racing 3" downpipe tomorrow and help out my spool and power. Next is an innovate lc-1 and then I can start messing with the fuel system :hellyeah:

Got my Megan Racing 3" downpipe in today. Going to save up a little more cash before I install it so i can go full 3" all the Way out the back.

Installed a huge 3" UICP on and turned the boost up to 14-15 psi. She really loves the added boost!!! Now just need to install my downpipe, run 3" exhaust out the back, then install a wally 255, fuel pump rewire and AFPR so I can see what she will really do at 20 psi :)

Everything has been coming together pretty nice!! Hope it all continues to go smooth!

Thanks bro! I think those cams sound mean!!! They have one hell of a lope.

Hopefully my 3" downpipe helps my spool out a lot.... I'm used to my stock cams letting me get 16 psi from my 16g at 3,000 rpm and now after driving with the 288's I don't see 16 psi until about 4,000 rpm, It's a bit different than What I'm used to when street driving. But I LOVE then Way they sound at idle :hellyeah:

That'd be Awesome man, I'd def come check your build out!!!

Time for another update as well!!

I got my full 3" ran with all straight pipe and no muffler! Car sounds absolutely mean!! Real deep like a mild v-8 now :).... So after getting this done I pulled up next to a CBR 600 with an exhaust and seen What the Talon could do next to him from a 20mph roll, so i brake boosted to 16 psi and "played" with him... Well to my surprise, that 600 could not pull an inch on me up to 115 WTF. In fact I got him off the start and around 45 he got back up next to me and couldn't pull away no matter how hard he tried.... I was in so much disbelief that we played 4 different times and seen that the Talon accually will run side by side with his bike :hellyeah:

Got to love AWD!!!! It's great to not fry the tires for once!

Ok, so it is time for a long overdue update. I have done a ton to the car since my last one.

The following things I have already installed, or am In the process of installing while the car has been apart the last week or so. I have a punishment racing FMIC customized to fit my larger auto tranny, sent my eBay 16g off to Jmx141 Here on tuners to get it upgraded to a MHI 20g, a ceramic coated FP mani, injen intake, dual slim fans, a mishimoto 1g aluminum radiator, I have done an a/c delete, fog light delete, washer pump delete, and rear wider delete, I have relocated the battery lower In the engine bay, relocated my IPT trans cooler from the stock location to the pass side, rebuilt my t/b with STM's Mil-Spec shaft seals and a new BISS, New reman'd rear yellow calipers, and finally Design Rotor Technology rear drilled and slotted rotors (stock diameter)

Like I said I've done a lot of work on the car in the past week or so, so it will probably take a few days to post all the pictures and whatnot.

Sooo.... On to the reason why I even tore the car down. Well the car has been smoking steadily more at idle and i have been seeing oil in my stock I/C and my hard I/C pipes, I immediately dismissed this as the eBay 16g because it had some shaft play in it. Well i couldn't have been more wrong!!! The turbo was a slight part of the smoking.

What the real culprit was, was the valve seals. On cylinder #1 both exhaust valve stems had oil running down them and into the exhaust port. This was the worst of all of them. Most of the other valve seals are getting bad but aren't quite there yet, they just have a tiny bit of oil at the top of the stem where it goes into the head.

I know this isn't right but I'm going to be driving my car like this for the next couple months until i get my spyder GST (all parts are new) back up and running for my new DD, that Way the Talon can finally be turned into the 9 sec street/strip car I want :thumb: LOL

Hopefully I can get the turbo back from Justin soon and i can start the process of piecing everything back together to see justbhow well it will run after all the changes!!! Pics and Videos will be uploaded soon!

Yeah the bad valve seals are a bummer but ill live with it for now. And hell if I mess this engine up ill just drop in my other built 7 bolt with an all manley bottom end and fix this ones valve seals :thumb:

car should be going back together before the weekend if weather permits so pics will be coming soon! :hellyeah:

For some stupid reason the site still wont let me upload pics. Keeps saying invalid file when I try to upload them like a always have in the past, so no pictures of my new goodies yet :notgood:

On another note I have an update

Took the car to the 1/4 mile track for the first time to see what the talon would run. Drove the car 1 & 1/2 hours to and from the track. With my sinister speed 8" core 2, new 20g, fp mani (pretty sure my cheap ebay tubular header flowed better, but had a warped head flange that was effecting spool), punishment fmic and rewired wally 190 the car felt great on the street. But I knew launching was going to be the hard part with my auto and the bc 288's. I got a total of 7 passes in last night.

First pass was still getting the hang of things and was only able to brake boost to 4 psi. This led to a 16.6 on the first pass which was kinda discouraging. So I went and got back in line again. Next pass pulled a 16.04 with brake boosting to 6 psi. At this point the tranny was around 165* so I decided to let it rest and cool for a bit. After watching the pro mods I hopped back in line for another go around.

This time I was able to brake boost to 12 psi out of 14 that I was running, was able to launch at around 3500rpm which led to a 2.29- 60' time and 14.81 @ 94 mph. This was around 78* ambient temp. The last pass had me stoked so I let her cool while the bikes ran and got back in line again. Ran a 15.49 because I was still working on my stall.

Next pass was the best of the night! Was able to brake boost the full 14psi i was running, stalled to 3900rpm and had a reaction time of .1582 while cutting a 2.13- 60' and ran 9.18 in the 8th mile and 14.24 @ 97.7 mph!!! This had me feeling great because of how low the boost is and how much is left in my sinister stall!

Going to upload the video on here soon so you can see my best pass of the night.

Here is the 14.24 pass :thumb:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDeCPBIOnJE[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks man! Im glad to finally get some people commenting on here. Was getting pretty discouraged trying to show my hard work and progress with no one chiming in LOL.

As soon as you get back hit me up fred and we ll compare builds :thumb:

Got to find a job now that im finished with college so I can keep modding the talon. Dsmlink is next on my list, which ive been told by many makes one of the biggest differences on performance.

Last edited:
Got another update for you guys.

Over this last weekend scored my second sponsorship for the talon! The new sponsor is ECM Tuning :thumb: so im sure you can all guess at what theyre sponsoring me with... a dsmlink v3 full package :shhh: :hellyeah:. On top of the sponsorship ECM Tuning is going to convert the '95 eprom ecu I just bought into a '97 eprom ecu so that I dont have to worry about inverting my CAS or messing with the firing order :rocks:

Going to take the Talon back to Mokan Dragway on Friday and im going to turn the boost up to 15-16 psi on no tune and stock injectors to see if i can pull at 13.xx finally. The drag strip is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house so it is always a fun ride there and back.

I will post up some videos of the runs this weekend... I am still unable to upload pictures on the site, so I might just take a walk-around and post it up for everyone to see the new look she has :thumb:

Congrats on the progress with the car bro! The best thing you can do for your car is get ecmlink, I don't see how you could race without it honestly. How the heck did you score a sponsorship from ecmlink guys, I could use that bad bro!! Lol. Look forward to seeing your progress and build go further. The thing that will help you e.t.'s the most is seat time bro!! You can have all mods in the world, but if you can't handle or drive the car it ain't going to matter if you know what I mean. Keep up the good work bro! ;) And I think the reason you can't upload anymore pics is. Your limited as a regular member to how many pics or how big of files you can have. I was having the same problem so just erased some of the older pics and was able to add more after. But now that I'm a supporting VIP member of this site, it seems like my limit for pics is gone. I've been able to post pics everywhere and more in my journal which is nice. So if you want more pics and a bigger signature area become a supporting VIP member and you can't loose. ;)

Thanks for the support bro!! Been needing some encouragement! :thumb:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, ill get everything at the track down to a T pretty soon and can hopefully at least hit 13's tomorrow before I get dsmlink in the next week or two.

Looks like its time to become a supporting member so i can have that extra signature space and see if I cant upload more pictue finally! ;)LOL

Last edited:
For some stupid reason the site still wont let me upload pics. Keeps saying invalid file when I try to upload them like a always have in the past, so no pictures of my new goodies yet :notgood:

On another note I have an update

Took the car to the 1/4 mile track for the first time to see what the talon would run. Drove the car 1 & 1/2 hours to and from the track. With my sinister speed 8" core 2, new 20g, fp mani (pretty sure my cheap ebay tubular header flowed better, but had a warped head flange that was effecting spool), punishment fmic and rewired wally 190 the car felt great on the street. But I knew launching was going to be the hard part with my auto and the bc 288's. I got a total of 7 passes in last night.

First pass was still getting the hang of things and was only able to brake boost to 4 psi. This led to a 16.6 on the first pass which was kinda discouraging. So I went and got back in line again. Next pass pulled a 16.04 with brake boosting to 6 psi. At this point the tranny was around 165* so I decided to let it rest and cool for a bit. After watching the pro mods I hopped back in line for another go around.

This time I was able to brake boost to 12 psi out of 14 that I was running, was able to launch at around 3500rpm which led to a 2.29- 60' time and 14.81 @ 94 mph. This was around 78* ambient temp. The last pass had me stoked so I let her cool while the bikes ran and got back in line again. Ran a 15.49 because I was still working on my stall.

Next pass was the best of the night! Was able to brake boost the full 14psi i was running, stalled to 3900rpm and had a reaction time of .1582 while cutting a 2.13- 60' and ran 9.18 in the 8th mile and 14.24 @ 97.7 mph!!! This had me feeling great because of how low the boost is and how much is left in my sinister stall!

Going to upload the video on here soon so you can see my best pass of the night.

Here is the 14.24 pass :thumb:

"Sinister" '97 talon tsi AWD 14psi, 14.2 @ 97mph - YouTube

Nice work! Cutting off 2.5 seconds in one nice is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see more.

Great work when I read your thread I can almost hear your passion for the project! It definately gives me some encouragement to finish my project too! Keep up the good work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back