The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Single pivot front suspension conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's all a balancing act. Any amount you move those arms is only moving the roll center roughly half that amount anyway, as you have to take the upper arm into account. If you could move the upper control arm up as well, now we'd be talking about some serious roll center correction. In fact you could probably angle it as well do dial in some more anti-squat.

Here is a very crude and not accurate approximation of the anti-squat lines of a 2G rear suspension. Looking at them you can see that in factory position, the 2G has a pretty neutral amount of anti-squat, and it goes farther pro-squat when it's lowered. I can say with almost perfect certainty that your rear-suspension is now pro-squat.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I have full adjustment on top so i can add more anti squat, let me give it ago but i wont know the effects yet because the car is still down for work then tuning etc so might be a month or 2 yet

Fabricating some brackets that angle the upper control arm may help restore some anti-squat to the rear and adjust the roll center at the same time. You'd need a spherical bearing in the rear upright or a new arm fabricated though.

Again, a very crude and inaccurate example:

I know emulating other cars isn't the goal here, but I'm picturing a concept similar to wisefab's GT-R front control arm.

I know emulating other cars isn't the goal here, but I'm picturing a concept similar to wisefab's GT-R front control arm.

me and you think a like as i use the GTR as a base for alot of stuff, I even have a GTR knuckle at work as i wanted to see if i could make it work on our chassis. they are single lower arm but the way they work is designed differently, not impossible.

me and you think a like as i use the GTR as a base for alot of stuff, I even have a GTR knuckle at work as i wanted to see if i could make it work on our chassis. they are single lower arm but the way they work is designed differently, not impossible.

Yessir! One of the first things I did when I got the 2G was try and find an aluminum knuckle with similar dimensions haha. Unfortunately most modern cars are too tall, but there may be something out there.

Yessir! One of the first things I did when I got the 2G was try and find an aluminum knuckle with similar dimensions haha. Unfortunately most modern cars are too tall, but there may be something out there.
one guy in the 200sx group cut it down to fit their drift car, im sure it could be done, i never got far with the checking as i was ment to have it 3d scanned to see the overlay of a stock knuckle vs gtr

Upon taking a bunch of measurements, I think I’ve found a nice solution. I need to do a few more things though... Then I can give everyone some details.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone tried using 3G Eclipse front suspension and subframe parts? 3G Eclipse's have a single pivot LCA. Perhaps something can be tried. Just a thought. Also, 2G DSMs are the only model in the entire Eclipse lifespan to have double ball joints, anyone know why it's such an oddity for the 2G platform to be so different compared to the others?

Also, 2G DSMs are the only model in the entire Eclipse lifespan to have double ball joints, anyone know why it's such an oddity for the 2G platform to be so different compared to the others?

The two ball joints form an instant center out under the tire contact patch straight below the top A arm's pivot. It delivers better geometry from a compact suspension package.

Next time the car is on stands with the front wheels off, move steering lock to lock and watch what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back