The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Single digit Auto 1g street/strip build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00stedtalon2

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
I plan to build this 1993 Auto TSI AWD I recently purchased off member "AWD Tuner". Car already has a stock 6 bolt in it. I have owned a few DSM's back in the day (6-7 years ago) and eventually built an Evo 8 that I have owned for 5 years. I've been wanting to build an auto DSM for some time now. Next month I am planning on returning the Evo back to stock or parting it out and building the dsm.

The goal is for consistent/reliable 9 second passes when done. Plans include a high compression 2.0L, 62mm to start, and all the supporting goodies.

Major headway should be starting Late August/Early September. The car's paint has some issues so I am having it fully painted a very dark PPG black.

Picking it up from Austin "AWD Tuner". Only a 350 mile round trip so not bad...
19822888402_586673b9d5_b.jpg

Some photo's I took today of the car as it sits..

19642233690_e99a0150bd_b.jpg

19804081926_faa80aca51_b.jpg

19822899342_35609fc183_b.jpg

19209345863_fddafb80b8_b.jpg

And here's a photo of the Evo. Its a 2.0l with 6262. Car trapped 145mph a few weeks ago, but only saw a 10.1 (suspension issues which are now sorted). I'm racing it in the SE class at this years shootout.

19207643384_a429f00438_b.jpg

19804258396_6ebf15e8d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
So this is where Austin's car went! Glad to see it's someone who is going to take care of it! It's by far one of the cleanest 1g's to come through our neck of the woods so it will make a great show/street/strip car. Those Drag wheels actually came off of my car, I still have the receipt for them from 2005 LOL

So this is where Austin's car went! Glad to see it's someone who is going to take care of it! It's by far one of the cleanest 1g's to come through our neck of the woods so it will make a great show/street/strip car. Those Drag wheels actually came off of my car, I still have the receipt for them from 2005 LOL
Thanks! The car is definitely in good hands. It's very clean which seems to be hard to come by now.

And that's crazy! Do you know what they specs are on them? I'm too lazy to pull them off and check LOL. I'm not sure if I am going to keep them or not. I may sell them for a 2nd set of 15x7 slipstreams for the street and wrap them in radials.

Ya I know they are 17x7 but not sure on the offset. They are still made and can be seen on Discount Tire's website or Drag's. I'll see if I can find a picture of them on my gsx LOL

Here's a pic from the day I got my car

Looking good! And thanks for the specs.

Love it when OGs get their hands on new projects.

Can't wait to see this done.

Yeah, I just realized I've been on here since 2005 which is when I got my first DSM (95 TSI AWD). It feels good to be back and building one of these, especially with more knowledge from building the Evo for 5 years.

Favorite 1G color, second favorite 1G body style(1gb talons <3), gorgeous exterior, gorgeous interior....droooool. Excited to see progress. Going fast with class, with this one? I'm dying to see more full interior, mild looking DSMs in the single digits.

Favorite 1G color, second favorite 1G body style(1gb talons <3), gorgeous exterior, gorgeous interior....droooool. Excited to see progress. Going fast with class, with this one? I'm dying to see more full interior, mild looking DSMs in the single digits.
Thank you!!! The paint does have some issues which are getting taken care of. The car is getting painted a dark pearl black most likely, unless I decided to keep existing color and give it fresh oem paint. I'll make a post with detailed photo's of the body issues it has that you cannot see in the first set of pics.

Definitely going to be going fast with class. Interior will stay 100%. I'm going to be switching out the factory seats for kirkey's with black cover's probably to save weight. If not i'll at least be on the look out for the black checkered seat combo (not a huge fan of tan).

How do the padded covers for the kirkeys feel? We had Kirkeys in a friend's Talon with the "covers" that weren't padded at all, more like a thin piece of cloth, and it sucked to sit in for more than a pass or two. Single digits though, definitely some compromise has to be made for sure. I'd rather be safe than comfortable, if I had to choose.

How do the padded covers for the kirkeys feel? We had Kirkeys in a friend's Talon with the "covers" that weren't padded at all, more like a thin piece of cloth, and it sucked to sit in for more than a pass or two. Single digits though, definitely some compromise has to be made for sure. I'd rather be safe than comfortable, if I had to choose.
That's a good question. I'll be gathering a lot of idea's for the car at the Shootout this year and maybe i'll see if I can sit in some Kirkey's :)

Dropped the car off for paint.

I decided on going with a PPG jet black. I forgot the code, however it is the purest and darkest black you can paint a car. There are no other colors mixed in.

20039653853_41db017e02_b.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't had too much movement yet. Lots of parts have been showing up on a daily basis. I'm sure the UPS man hates me.

Sinister Speed 8" Core 2 "Spoolinator"
20445914793_2f3a0b0f10_c.jpg

4" Garett Core FMIC off Deric Dupey's car.
20445915043_c5814d023f_c.jpg

Lots of other stuff including the Jay toe eliminator kit, maximal rear control arms, boostx rear subframe & mustache bushings, bullfab front cross member, etc.

The Forced Four Shiftbox plus arrived yesterday. I've decided on using buttons on a steering wheel for up/down shifts, then the optional TCU package to switch back to the TCU with a toggle switch for non/full pressure auto shifts when street driving.

I have also decided to order Jeff Bush's t-case brace along with the aluminum transmission pan he offers. The pan will help with trans temps quite a bit.

Last edited:
Yep that's a common rust spot. It's double pannel there so the salt and stuff sits that and rots from the inside out. I'd be checking the fender bottoms too.
Yeah, I figured we would find some rust there. We are patching the bottom and the side shown in pictures.

Just painted mine Ppg black. It looks amazing you will love it. I have a few pictures of it
That's sweet! Looks good in the 1 picture you attached. Any more completed pictures?

Looks good! Cant wait to see the progress. Are you going to be putting in new seats? I'd love to take those front seats off your hands if you are! Trying to restore my 93 and those are just what i need. P.m. If ur willing to part with them... Do you plan on rebuilding the auto or you going to runn it as-is for now?

Looks good! Cant wait to see the progress. Are you going to be putting in new seats? I'd love to take those front seats off your hands if you are! Trying to restore my 93 and those are just what i need. P.m. If ur willing to part with them... Do you plan on rebuilding the auto or you going to runn it as-is for now?
Thanks man! Yes I will be getting rid of them. I will send you a PM.

The trans is going to get built. Kiggly clutch/steel pack, shift kit, welded center, etc.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back