The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Since Evo3 turbos went up in price, suggestions for a 115-117mph dd, fwd turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syclone01

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2004
jacksonville, Florida
Looks like the prices have went up to around 900.00 on the evo3 turbos, which turbo would be a step up to that one that could make more hp in the future with cams and other mods? I have a 90 laser fwd and i dont' care about et, i just want a sleeper car that i can drive on the street and have good roll on performance from 60-70mph. I just want to pick on all the newer mustangs,challengers,z28's that normally run 109-113mph stock. Of course a bolt on turbo that uses the factory style manifold would be easier, but if that's limiting too much i can upgrade to something else. I will use only 93 octane and never any race gas. I would like to keep the car very drivable. Thanks

Get a used bolt on 50 trim (40 or so in good shape and good to 450hp fairly easily, not to mention reliable and easy to get rebuild parts for), or hell you can get a t3 50 trim and cast t3 mani for under 1000 new. 599 for 50 trim, 325 for mani, then a 12 pack of beer and some odds and ends pipe to have a friend with a welder do up the down pipe and intercooler pipe. the oil return jut widen the holes, the feed can be made for cheap too

thanks for the replies, i've really been looking at the FP green and hx35, or possibly a t3 style with a different manifold, or use the adapter. I don't mind spending money, i just want something that will trap as high as i can with pump gas, but still be able to drive on the street. I don't mind getting some lag, as with my fwd that will prob help some in the traction department. I see some of these guys that are trapping real high speeds on pump gas, such as 125+ mph. When i say pump gas i mean 93 octane, no E85 where i live here in FL. I don't have a problem buying what i need to accomplish this, I just want a good package to get me where i want to go. It seems i can get an ev03 16g used or 20g used, that will obviously drive pretty well on the street, but will prob only get me to the 115trap speed with pump gas. If i want to get more i think i'm looking at the above mentioned turbos. Any more suggestions? If I was to get a t3 style manifold, how do you think the 30r?? turbo would work?

Mitsubishi, has had to do a lot for relief for the people of Japan since the quake.

They have had to change production to other products as well as reroute power from their nuclear generators for their plants.

More than likely MHI isn't even building turbos right now.

For those prices you could find an S200sx and have much more fun. You can even get an S259 in that range, and with a used T3 manifold and a 4bolt o2 housing could have a killer setup for only a couple hundred more.
Bullseye Power S259 Turbo

Open T3 .70 is a good balance between boost threshold and top end pull. I loved this setup before going bigger again.

Fantastic street/strip turbo. The noise is intoxicating too.

Compared to an FP Green, you can expect spool to come in a little later like 800rpm. But you stand to pick up 150whp and 100wtq at the big end on kill mode. This was in the smaller Open T3 .55A/R if they are still around. The .55A/R DSM housing is comparable..

This is from a post on EvoM by Keith @ PUREtuning:

shown is the Evo8 w/Magnus SIM & s259 vs Evo9 w/FP-Green & OE Intake Manifold both at 27psi.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The only real difference was the Magnus street IM, which undoubtedly someone here will point to to defend their precious FP turbos. But the fact of the matter is that the Magnus isn't going to be able to take credit for all or even most of that gain. The SIM made a full 20whp less than the V5 did on this same car.

Not to mention that this was in the smallest housing available for the turbo. On pump gas. Same setup it made 515awhp @ 37psi on race gas on a factory calibrated "heartbreaker" mustang dyno.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit 113.5 MPH on a stock, cracked, unported, never-rebuilt, $100 shipped 14b on my full weight FWD this year. It's getting some love this winter (ported 7cm hotside, ported manifold, external wastegate, cams, etc) and should be surpassing your goals. Not bad for the stock turbo. Of course a used MHI 16g would make it even easier for you. But you guys are talking about some cash just to trap that low. HX35, S200sx, S259, 50 trim, FP green, different manifolds, etc. Sure they will get your goal and then some, but a used 14b or 16g will also get your there on the same manifold, same o2 housing, same oil/coolant lines, etc... for a LOT less money. Sure you could shoot for the moon and spend some cash, but with such a low goal, it would be overkill.

Mitsubishi, has had to do a lot for relief for the people of Japan since the quake.

They have had to change production to other products as well as reroute power from their nuclear generators for their plants.

More than likely MHI isn't even building turbos right now.

The part number is MR239346, I am doing a price and availability search on it currently with Mits of Japan to see what's going on.

I just picked up a used turbonetics t3 manifold, so ill be looking for a turbo to go with that possibly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back