The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Simple way to gain some Downpipe clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltboostin

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
In the midst of swapping oil filter housings, I though of an idea. After some research, I am shocked that I could not find anyone that has done it before.

Everyone in the DSM world is always looking for more room for large downpipes. ALT relocators, Forward Facing OFH's....ect. I came up with a simple and easy way to gain Another + inches without spending the money. (with a 91-99 filer housing)

Here is your typical "I need to remove my exhaust to change my oil" clearance
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Running the smaller 6607 Filter helps, but you more than half your filter area which is never good. IF you are like 95% of DSM'ers not using the oil "cooler" this mod is for you.

When you take the Water cooled OFH off, you get this guy.

The thread is conveniently the same on both sides. So, I cut the longer threaded end off clean at the beginning of the taper (on the right)

Clean up the threads-cut some lock tight on the end you will screw back into the OFH, and screw it in.

What your left with a is a filter that is tucked well under the alternator-and a truly eliminated water housing that you not dont have to worry about leaking, or coming apart internally. This is with the full size big boy 1G filter as well.

If this has been done, I guess I need to search better. :) If not, we can just call it the Coltboostin/JP special OFH mod and make it official!

I hope it helps some people looking for better fitment and like saving a buck!

How has this been working for you, or anyone who has done this? I am a bit confused on exactly where to cut it. I am sure it will be more obvious to me once I get it all apart. Could someone please indicate in the 2nd pic where exactly to cut, or where the taper is?

Thanks!

Zero issues for me, and I put near 150 miles on it yesterday.

Where to cut will be very oblivious once you take it out! Looks like a large manifold stud, with the middle having no thread. You would just cut the lower part off and reinstall.

I would assume the threads would be the same so it would be just as easy to use the oil filter stud of a '90 OFH. Would've saved the cutting and re-threading.

Oh, and get rid of that garbage fram filter. ;)

I would assume the threads would be the same so it would be just as easy to use the oil filter stud of a '90 OFH. Would've saved the cutting and re-threading.

Oh, and get rid of that garbage fram filter. ;)

The 90, and forward facing filter housing don't use a stud. The threads are part of the aluminum casting.

Oh, guess I learned something today. LOL

Zero issues for me, and I put near 150 miles on it yesterday.

Where to cut will be very oblivious once you take it out! Looks like a large manifold stud, with the middle having no thread. You would just cut the lower part off and reinstall.
Yea, I guess what confuses me is that you will want threading on both sides (1 thread end goes into OFH, and the other thread end is for the oil filter itself) and want it long/short enough that the nut on the shorter end will still be flush and seal correctly. As you said, I am sure it will be more obvious once I get it apart as you refer to the taper but I am one of those who likes to measure 100x before cutting :D

This is how I am perceiving this (red line is where to cut) -

Referencing picture 2 above, cut the complete threaded portion of the piece off on the right hand side. That is what you'll use.

Now that makes sense! D'oh! I feel like such a dweeb now thanks for clarifying! Only thing I am worried about is making sure the threaded end going into the OFH is snug. Guess I can always do the two nuts on stud trick.

Actually as stupid as it sounds I'm a little dumbfounded on where to cut as well..... Due to the fact that it needs to me a male on both sides of the stud, but if you cut the threads off the one side how can it go in the ofh?

Oil filter female threads.... Stud male threads..... Stud male threads..... Ofh female threads.... If you cut it you have

Oil filter female threads... Studs male threads..... Stud no threads to go in the female port of the ofh???

since the entire portion of the new stud is threaded, i would assume, it just threads right into the OFH? gonna look into doing this with my next oil change!

Actually as stupid as it sounds I'm a little dumbfounded on where to cut as well..... Due to the fact that it needs to me a male on both sides of the stud, but if you cut the threads off the one side how can it go in the ofh?

Oil filter female threads.... Stud male threads..... Stud male threads..... Ofh female threads.... If you cut it you have

Oil filter female threads... Studs male threads..... Stud no threads to go in the female port of the ofh???

I'm sure they'll confirm, but it looks like you use the cut off portion, not the portion with the nut. Since you are removing the water cooler in this scenario, the oil filter is going to sit flush to the body of the housing, so you only need 2 inches of thread, one inch into the housing, one inch for the filter.

Andddd. then use just the threaded portion you cut off correct?

Oh, you are the shit bro! Thank you!!! When i get my baby back from paint shop im doing this. I totally get where to cut it. Basically you end up with a threaded pipe end to end. The loctite would seem to be very important though and i will be using the RED on the OFH side for sure. Ive been lookin at those ugly water line wondering how much longer i have til one breaks and im towing my car home. For that reason alone this is a great mod. Not to mention a 3" vband 90 will fit with out a ff ofh.
THANK YOU!!! u rock bro

Btw, if for some reason one were to botch this, you could probably build your own pipe with the correct diameter and pitch. Its risk free and literally free.

To update, I just finished this. As pictures seems to be better than text for others on here this is where to cut (red line) -

You would use what is highlighted in yellow to thread into the OFH. I counted 5-6 full turns for the oil filter and also used thread lock as suggested. Have not driven around yet as I am still waiting on some parts.

I understand fully now.... Damn... How did I miss that....

I assumed after you cut the threads off you would install the part with the nut on it..... But I was wrong and you just install the portion the was cut off....

I understand fully now.... Damn... How did I miss that....

I assumed after you cut the threads off you would install the part with the nut on it..... But I was wrong and you just install the portion the was cut off....
^ Glad I am not the only one who thought that LOL. Had to read 19Eclipse90's post a few times before the light bulb went off.

I can count to potato!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back