The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Simple timing belt replacement --> ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meister37

Probationary Member
May 20, 2011
East Windsor, New_Jersey
Its time for a timing belt replacement for my stock motor on my 1997 mitsubishi eclpise gst. I bought a gates racing timing belt, and a balence shaft belt. Do i need anything else for this replacement? Im giving it to a mechanic ive known for ever. is he going to need the belt tensioner too? or do you think he should have that. Or do i need it?

Thanks for all the info :pray:

Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Belt
Idler Pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Auto Tensioner
(And to do this right)
Oil Pump
Water Pump

Those are the essentials for doing a complete timing job, correctly. This is the proper time to do the water and oil pumps due to the access to them.

if your replacing the belt, get the tensioner, its expensive, but its going to ruin all the work you just put in if it fails after you install a new timing belt.

would also do your waterpump as well.

damn beat me to it.

Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Belt
Idler Pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Auto Tensioner
(And to do this right)
Oil Pump
Water Pump

Those are the essentials for doing a complete timing job, correctly. This is the proper time to do the water and oil pumps due to the access to them.

Depending on what timing belt change this is, oil pump may not be needed but it is recommended to change all other timing related components, as posted above. As well, this would also include balance shaft tensioner pulley.

I don't think you would have to do the oil pump, but most definitely the water pump.

Depending on what timing belt change this is, oil pump may not be needed but it is recommended to change all other timing related components, as posted above. As well, this would also include balance shaft tensioner pulley.

Depending on the last bit of maintenance in this area, I always recommend to change the oil pump along with the water pump since you're going to be down that far. The last thing you want is your oil pump giving out and you needing to do the process all over again just a few thousand miles down the road when you could have just done all of the upkeep needed the first time.

This is, of course, your personal choice.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back