The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

simple starter question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstballa 42

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2010
paulina, Louisiana
is the side with the wire running to the side of the motor the negative? if it is, are the 2 wires supposed to be separated with a copper ring?

P.S its amazing how there is still 77 people viewing the newbie forum at 3 in the morning

The both run from the batter and then parallel to the engine. Picture would be better for sure. But the net should split off and be grounded to the body at some point and the positive should branch off and do into the fuse box. Ay least that is how the harness groups branch out in my 2g. Hope thay helps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Are you familiar with the term "negative ground"? Where the vehicle's chassis is directly connected to the negative battery terminal?

The large gauge wire (usually with a nice red insulator at the terminal) is a positive. There's a jumper from the negative terminal of the solenoid to the side of the starter. When the ignition switch grounds the smaller signal wire to the solenoid, it throws the starter drive gear out onto the flywheel/flexplate and grounds the path through the starter motor to ground, which allows current to pass through the starter motor and turn the engine over.

Last edited:
like eveyone stated. neg(ground to body) pos(to fuse box or + battery terminal) if both aren't properly connected starter will malfunction.

im familiar with what a chassis ground is im putting my starter back in and i'm not sure what terminal on the starter is the ground, i know what wires are positive and negative just not on the starter.

heres a pic

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is it the side with the wire connected to it? if it is, does it have to be separated by this copper ring

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/IMG]

Sorry my link didn't work above, that might have helped.

Chassis ground = the whole metal frame of the starter is the negative terminal.
There shouldn't be a dedicated ground for the starter, just the jumper to connect the solenoid ground to the starter frame.

Your copper ring is to keep the positive cable end from galling or sticking when you install/remove the retaining nut.

Attachments

• starter conn.jpg
    starter conn.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 229
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back