The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Silver high heat paint close to OE valve cover color?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spleen8urLSX

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 26, 2017
Elyria, Ohio
Title pretty much says it all. Out of the high heat silver “engine enamel” and other flavors out there, has anyone found anything real close to the OEM silver color on the valve covers. I’d like restore my valve cover back to original colors but was wondering if anyone had any insight on what worked well.

It really does not need to be "heat resistant" color for valve cover. just go to any car paint shop and buy correct color and use 2k clearcoat on top of this base. The 2 component clear coat is the most important part when painting valve cover, you can even get this as spray paint clear but costs quite some. For the primer id prefer epoxy spray or wash primer if your using spray paint to do this job. Fuel and oil are much bigger problems on valve covers than heat so 2 component top layer like a clear coat is a must.

Last edited:
It really does not need to be "heat resistant" color for valve cover. just go to any car paint shop and buy correct color and use 2k clearcoat on top of this base. The 2 component clear coat is the most important part when painting valve cover, you can even get this as spray paint clear but costs quite some. For the primer id prefer epoxy spray or wash primer if your using spray paint to do this job. Fuel and oil are much bigger problems on valve covers than heat so 2 component top layer like a clear coat is a must.
Appreciate the response! That makes life a little easier. Last time I painted it I used VHT engine enamel primer, black, and clear I had laying around. I have zero idea what I’m doing, I’m no paint and body guy, it was entirely too cold in my garage to be painting anything, but it turned out well and many couldn’t even tell it was a rattle can job. Before that it was painted purple with duplicolor metalcast (also came out surprisingly well and held up) and before that white with a blue pearl and it was cleared all sprayed out of a gun left over from Honda engine bays my buddy had painted (don’t judge me on the color selection l, these were confusing times). It looked amazing and held up well but over time it started to yellow, and based on your input I’m going to guess that was from the clear that was used. Either way, this go around I want to go with a silver and do the letters red for a “stock appearing” look but plan to do the best I can with a rattle can hoping this isn’t the time that its a flop.

Appreciate the response! That makes life a little easier. Last time I painted it I used VHT engine enamel primer, black, and clear I had laying around. I have zero idea what I’m doing, I’m no paint and body guy, it was entirely too cold in my garage to be painting anything, but it turned out well and many couldn’t even tell it was a rattle can job. Before that it was painted purple with duplicolor metalcast (also came out surprisingly well and held up) and before that white with a blue pearl and it was cleared all sprayed out of a gun left over from Honda engine bays my buddy had painted (don’t judge me on the color selection l, these were confusing times). It looked amazing and held up well but over time it started to yellow, and based on your input I’m going to guess that was from the clear that was used. Either way, this go around I want to go with a silver and do the letters red for a “stock appearing” look but plan to do the best I can with a rattle can hoping this isn’t the time that its a flop.
Yeah i paint for living. Just get clear coat spray rattle can that has socket on the bottom. Once you pull there it mixes the hardener in the bottle and is ready to go.

Yeah i paint for living. Just get clear coat spray rattle can that has socket on the bottom. Once you pull there it mixes the hardener in the bottle and is ready to go.
I’ve seen those used and wonder how well it works, now I have a reason to try it. Appreciate it that’s the kind of insight I was looking for.

You can use an enamel or epoxy primer followed by whatever color of your choice. Doesn’t have to be high temp.

Spraymax 2K is pretty good for clear in a can just make sure you have a good respirator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back