The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Side Pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac 108

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee
Has anyone had side pipes (or a single pipe) fabricated for their exhaust on an AWD DSM? I was thinking about it and it seemed like if you could successfully fabricated it, it would give you a good bit more power because it would help eliminate all of those bends found even in high quality aftermarket setups. It may not even be possible, but it would be interesting.

Unless said sidepipe was just a dump behind the front wheel, you're not really gaining anything other than reduced ground clearance.

The route to the exit pipe is pretty straight on AWD DSM's, following the driveshaft. So let's pretend you've got a straight downpipe once you hit the curve from the O2 down. You'll have to take a 90 degree turn under the chassis, then run another 90 degrees to go down a side pipe (assuming single) for a total angle of 180 degrees.

Now let's look at a standard catback at the stock location. Running a smaller cannister style muffler at an angle, you can pretty much angle it at the rear diff area (roughly) at a sligher angle, make the exhaust angle exit, while having more ground clearance and stock location.

This is why no one does side pipes, unless you're directly losing piping and dumping.

Intresting idea, ive been thinking about this for a while too but dump before the front tire. Kind of like the dsm here

I hope that if you were to put that exhaust on your car, you would be using your car pretty much as a track car only because I can not imagine driving around town with that loud of an exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about sidepipes. The exhaust smell is terrible, especially without catalytic converters and the noise would get annoying really quickly. There are cars with 3" turbo-backs making obscene amounts of power for a four-banger.

Defiant said:
Hrmph. And he's in Memphis. Oooookay, then.

I wasn't planning on actually putting side pipes on my car. Let's try not to assume here people. I just thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to see if anyone had done it before.

Is this type of discussion discouraged, Defiant? :rolleyes:

By the way, We do have Memphis Motorsports Park here, it could be a track only car. It should not be assumed that we are always talking about street cars.

92redman said:
I think that is Mirage2lturbo's car. Might find better pics in his gallery.
His car is insanely loud, Ive only seen it at the track and Im pretty sure he doesnt drive it on the street very often.

mac 108 said:
I wasn't planning on actually putting side pipes on my car. Let's try not to assume here people. I just thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to see if anyone had done it before.
They looked okay on a 427 Cobra. Others haven't fared as well. They tend to make Corvettes look even more absurd than the original Sting Ray did, even in '67.
Is this type of discussion discouraged, Defiant?
It does skirt the raggedy edge of the abyss, and once fallen-in is virtually unrecoverable.
Eloquently put, yes.
By the way, We do have Memphis Motorsports Park here, it could be a track only car. It should not be assumed that we are always talking about street cars.
We can only infer from what little you imply. We don't expect some product of Jesse James' Monster Garage. But since it's not posted in Track Talk, one might more reasonably expect it to be a street car.

Defiant said:
They looked okay on a 427 Cobra. Others haven't fared as well. They tend to make Corvettes look even more absurd than the original Sting Ray did, even in '67. It does skirt the raggedy edge of the abyss, and once fallen-in is virtually unrecoverable.Eloquently put, yes.We can only infer from what little you imply. We don't expect some product of Jesse James' Monster Garage. But since it's not posted in Track Talk, one might more reasonably expect it to be a street car.

Grumpy today?

Anyway, I haven't done it. I tend to like the idea of dumping the exhaust as quickly as possible. Unfortunately DSM's aren't trucks and we really can't spare the clearance. On top of that AWD's have a lot going on underneath. I'd stay away from dumping to the side. Try to get creative while sticking somewhat to the stock routing.

Defiant said:
They looked okay on a 427 Cobra. Others haven't fared as well. They tend to make Corvettes look even more absurd than the original Sting Ray did, even in '67. It does skirt the raggedy edge of the abyss, and once fallen-in is virtually unrecoverable.Eloquently put, yes.We can only infer from what little you imply. We don't expect some product of Jesse James' Monster Garage. But since it's not posted in Track Talk, one might more reasonably expect it to be a street car.

"Bolt-on Tech
Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 4G63 turbocharged DSMs."

Hmmm, that doesn't say anything about street or track...very strange.

Defiant, your opinion about looks is meaningless to me. I didn't ask for it, and I don't want it.

Now if you were to give some technical insight, advise, analysis, etc., that's great, that's why I am here. But if you want to complain about looks and criticize, then just don't post. How did you get to be a moderator anyway?

By the way, I was never planning on doing this. I was just curious if anyone had done it and if they had any success with it.

I have a 3" side exit on my 89 colt turbo, it really isn't all that loud. Too bad it won't pass inspection in my state :shhh: If someone was considering a side exit exhaust, the only logical car to put it on is a 1g Fwd, because of the multiple 90* bends, you could eliminate most of the bends by shooting it out the passenger side behind the door. I cannot really say anything about the 2g's because I don't know how the exhaust is routed. Just my .02

mac 108 said:
"Bolt-on Tech
Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 4G63 turbocharged DSMs."

Hmmm, that doesn't say anything about street or track...very strange.

Defiant, your opinion about looks is meaningless to me. I didn't ask for it, and I don't want it.

Now if you were to give some technical insight, advise, analysis, etc., that's great, that's why I am here. But if you want to complain about looks and criticize, then just don't post. How did you get to be a moderator anyway?

By the way, I was never planning on doing this. I was just curious if anyone had done it and if they had any success with it.

I would guess that defiant got to be a moderator becuase e is much more mature than most on this board, and he also knows what he is talking about.

It's just like the case where the punk ass kid who is always introuble hates the cops, but all those who stay out of trouble don't mind them soo much.

to answer your questions there are probably about .1hp to be gained by this. so unless you specifically are trying to make your car look like a white trash mobile don't do it.

mac 108 said:
Has anyone had side pipes (or a single pipe) fabricated for their exhaust on an AWD DSM? I was thinking about it and it seemed like if you could successfully fabricated it, it would give you a good bit more power because it would help eliminate all of those bends found even in high quality aftermarket setups. It may not even be possible, but it would be interesting.

Why don't you just try it without getting peoples' shitty-ass opinions? I didn't post a thing about my build-up of my car. Don't let what other people say/think sway your idea. Just try it. You'll never know until you try. Not what DSMtuner people say. F-that.

Red97Eclipseboy said:
Why don't you just try it without getting peoples' shitty-ass opinions? I didn't post a thing about my build-up of my car. Don't let what other people say/think sway your idea. Just try it. You'll never know until you try. Not what DSMtuner people say. F-that.

He pretty clearly said he wasn't planning on doing it, but was just interested in it's application. What's wrong with asking questions? Sure, he got some shit opinions, but he also got relevant information and had his question answered fairly well. He learned something, as did a number of other people, I imagine.

And to the poster before: 1st thing's first, the power gains to be had from a side dump exhaust vary with every application. If you are able to dump it and eliminate quite a few bends as well as a lot of pipe, gains will be had. On a forced induction vehicle, these could be substantial.

Secondly, the question was about people's experiences doing this. Assuming your estimate of .1 HP are accurate (I'm guessing they are not) how was he supposed to know this without asking?

Of course the "white trash" effect is a matter of opinion. It may look trashy, it may look like he knows what is most effective on a proper build up.

I don't want to piss people off any more, but why is everybody jumping down this guys throat?

Apparently, asking about side pipes incites the wrath of the gods. :rolleyes:

He pretty clearly said he wasn't planning on doing it, but was just interested in it's application. What's wrong with asking questions? Sure, he got some shit opinions, but he also got relevant information and had his question answered fairly well. He learned something, as did a number of other people, I imagine.

And to the poster before: 1st thing's first, the power gains to be had from a side dump exhaust vary with every application. If you are able to dump it and eliminate quite a few bends as well as a lot of pipe, gains will be had. On a forced induction vehicle, these could be substantial.

Secondly, the question was about people's experiences doing this. Assuming your estimate of .1 HP are accurate (I'm guessing they are not) how was he supposed to know this without asking?

Of course the "white trash" effect is a matter of opinion. It may look trashy, it may look like he knows what is most effective on a proper build up.

I don't want to piss people off any more, but why is everybody jumping down this guys throat?
There is no logical reason to run a side exit exhaust on a dsm, the only reason i can see to do it is so you look retarded. The only time that there would be substaitial gains is if you are making 700hp and up. But lets look at it from another point of view. I dunno how it is in redneckville but here in Illinois and most other places people get really pist off at a noisy car. hmm so what does that matter you may ask. well ya see there jackass that just makes every performance enthusiast look like the bad guy, just becuase one asshole wants to run around with an open side exhaust becuase he thinks he gains 2hp. You don't think there is a reason that the police target people with peformance cars do you. Well they do, and you know why? Becuase the public opinion of them is that they are up to no good, and you know why that is, becuse a few assholes drive around like maniacs street racing through town and such. This is exactly what using a side exhaust will do.

And get this through your damn head aswell. a side pipe won't produce a noticeable gain over a well flowing 3" mandrel bent turbo back. Jesus sheperd went 8.67 and probably faster on a 3.5" with a muffler. YOU DON'T NEED A SIDE PIPE!

It's really getting to be quite hilairious how that when somone asks a worthwhile question, that is actually worth doing, everyone says no don't do it it is a waste of time, but when someone brings up a ridiculous idea such as this one everyone is ready to defend it to the death. I also find it funny how everyone wants numbers for everything, or wants scientific proof when they have no idea how to use it. Actually it is really quite disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
bastarddsm said:
There is no logical reason to run a side exit exhaust on a dsm, the only reason i can see to do it is so you look retarded. The only time that there would be substaitial gains is if you are making 700hp and up. But lets look at it from another point of view. I dunno how it is in redneckville but here in Illinois and most other places people get really pist off at a noisy car. hmm so what does that matter you may ask. well ya see there jackass that just makes every performance enthusiast look like the bad guy, just becuase one asshole wants to run around with an open side exhaust becuase he thinks he gains 2hp. You don't think there is a reason that the police target people with peformance cars do you. Well they do, and you know why? Becuase the public opinion of them is that they are up to no good, and you know why that is, becuse a few assholes drive around like maniacs street racing through town and such. This is exactly what using a side exhaust will do.

And get this through your damn head aswell. a side pipe won't produce a noticeable gain over a well flowing 3" mandrel bent turbo back. Jesus sheperd went 8.67 and probably faster on a 3.5" with a muffler. YOU DON'T NEED A SIDE PIPE!

It's really getting to be quite hilairious how that when somone asks a worthwhile question, that is actually worth doing, everyone says no don't do it it is a waste of time, but when someone brings up a ridiculous idea such as this one everyone is ready to defend it to the death. I also find it funny how everyone wants numbers for everything, or wants scientific proof when they have no idea how to use it. Actually it is really quite disgusting.

Dude, calm down. Honestly. Everything we do to our cars to increase performance was just an idea at some point. Some of them have been proven to work very well, and some have been proven to not work at all. I know there was a guy on this board who had a side-exit exhaust on his car, it was just a pipe sticking out behind the door. If everyone here copied Sheperd's car, there wouldn't be any new innovations, just copies. We don't all need to upgrade turbos or increase performance either, but we do it anyway. What makes you think its such a stupid idea, anyway? Grow up. (and "imbreading" is not a word)

To the original poster: I have seen pictures of a 1G with a side-exit exhaust, and from the pictures I remember, it didn't seem like there was a clearance problem. If you really want to try and make this work, by all means go ahead. Don't listen to people who just want to insult your idea because they didn't think of it first.

bastarddsm said:
Your a retard becuase blah blah blah

First, I never said I supported running a side pipe, thought it would give gains, or had any plans to do it myself. All I said was the guy was curious if it was worthwhile, because depending on the application it may be. Work on your reading comprehension.

Second, what do people driving in your area with loud exhaust or your feelings with the police have to do with calling me a retard. I'm having a tough time understanding how you hating loud exhausts makes me, again, someone you know nothing about, a retard.

Third, you don't "need" anything. You choose to do things, because they fit your goals or otherwise satisfy some desire. You don't need an electronic boost controller. You don't need nice looking rims. You don't need a lot of things, but that's no reason not to get them. Hell, I don't "need" a good deck and speakers to listen to my music, but I think it's worth it to spend extra money for the 'minimal' gains in sound quality.

Fourth, he didn't ask for "scientific proof" or even solid numbers. He asked if anyone had done it and if it would yield an increase in performance. He did NOT ask for your opinions on noise, cops, or question worthiness. Apparently you are above answering the actual question and have the duty to rant off topic, because you're in a pissy mood.

Fifth, insulting me for "inbreeding" and everything else is petty as hell. Try to 'grow up' a little and act like a civil adult. (of course I don't mean to insult all the other kids around here who actually DO have a reasonable level of maturity)

Lastly, please, pull the stick out of your ass. You are not so high and mighty that your opinions are the end all of any discussion. Whether you're right or wrong you need to learn to let others have opinions as well.

BTW, still waiting on the meet-up invitation. I really would like to know whether you'd be this bold face to face.

Fabricating a side exhaust would not be hard, just get some piping and bends, weld it together and bolt it on. If you don't like it, your other one will be right there and just put it back. Its not hard.

If you do want to spend money on it, just go to autozone and buy a few of thier 2.5 pipes. Get the clamps they have and put it together and bolt it on. Should run you less than 50 bucks.

Guys, You need to be considerate if your going to post on these forums. That goes to more than one of you and at least post logically.

You've all been warned now please change the way your posting in the forums when it comes to explaining something and not using childish insults, as they don't make your point anymore valid.

Thank you
John

My. What a useless thread.

I can see the humor in Defiant's comments. I have seen a 2G DSM with tacky-ass leg pipes down both sides. The guy did it just to be different and, though it's not the same concept being discussed in this thread, it looked absolutely ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as everyone trying to be as eloquently rude and aloof as they are. If my post makes it in before the lock, I'll be surprised. This alert hit my inbox almost a half an hour ago.

Simply put, when you ask for others' opinions, you open the flood gates. You have to be ready to accept that people are going to flame. If you think this could do some good, fab something up on the cheap like napkin suggested above and test it. If it works and looks good, you come out on top. If not, you just learned something and can share it with authority next time something like this comes up (God forbid.)

/me bails

i have seen 1g's with side exit exhausts that come out right in front of the drivers side rear tire that looked totally bad ass, the downside is the fact that the pipes hung crazy low.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back