The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Side Mount Intercooler options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT 2g

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2022
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Looking for a bigger side mount intercooler for my 2g, can someone let me know what side mounts will work? i know OEM fitting ones are incredibly hard to find but im still having a very hard time figuring out what'll work

Solution
The MKIV Supra side mount can fit with some modification and was the go to low budget upgrade back in the day before the cheaper Chinese made front mounts were available, a lot of write ups about using it as well was on http://www.vfaq.com . The only downfall is they aren’t as widely available as they once were and now these “JDM” importers get a hold of them and think they’re worth $4-$500 bucks (they’re not) compared to the $50-$100 the DSM crowd was paying for them 20 years ago. If you can find one Hahn Racecraft offered a direct bolt on smic for the 2g that had pretty good results. Can’t speak on the 2g stuff but a company called Alamo motorsports and Dejon Tool offered thicker direct replacement smic’s for 1g’s but it was...
The MKIV Supra side mount can fit with some modification and was the go to low budget upgrade back in the day before the cheaper Chinese made front mounts were available, a lot of write ups about using it as well was on http://www.vfaq.com . The only downfall is they aren’t as widely available as they once were and now these “JDM” importers get a hold of them and think they’re worth $4-$500 bucks (they’re not) compared to the $50-$100 the DSM crowd was paying for them 20 years ago. If you can find one Hahn Racecraft offered a direct bolt on smic for the 2g that had pretty good results. Can’t speak on the 2g stuff but a company called Alamo motorsports and Dejon Tool offered thicker direct replacement smic’s for 1g’s but it was found to not be that much of an upgrade and many theorize that it was the larger inlets that were making a bigger improvement over the thicker core but I’ve never seen one in action to back that statement and don’t know how true that stands in 2022 with things like meth injection and e85 in the equation. Your best bet is to post a WTB ad here for a MKIV Supra smic or Hahn Racecraft 2g smic to see if someone has one laying around as those were well proven, however no one is offering one new off the shelf currently.

Be aware too, there’s an eBay seller that now lists one as a smic for a DSM, the inlet orientations are incorrect to be bolt on and based on the dimensions and the type that it is it wouldn’t be any more efficient than the stock one. It’s likely for a Volkswagen or something and the eBay seller did some googling and said “oh that looks right”.

Solution
The MKIV Supra side mount can fit with some modification and was the go to low budget upgrade back in the day before the cheaper Chinese made front mounts were available, a lot of write ups about using it as well was on http://www.vfaq.com . The only downfall is they aren’t as widely available as they once were and now these “JDM” importers get a hold of them and think they’re worth $4-$500 bucks (they’re not) compared to the $50-$100 the DSM crowd was paying for them 20 years ago. If you can find one Hahn Racecraft offered a direct bolt on smic for the 2g that had pretty good results. Can’t speak on the 2g stuff but a company called Alamo motorsports and Dejon Tool offered thicker direct replacement smic’s for 1g’s but it was found to not be that much of an upgrade and many theorize that it was the larger inlets that were making a bigger improvement over the thicker core but I’ve never seen one in action to back that statement and don’t know how true that stands in 2022 with things like meth injection and e85 in the equation. Your best bet is to post a WTB ad here for a MKIV Supra smic or Hahn Racecraft 2g smic to see if someone has one laying around as those were well proven, however no one is offering one new off the shelf currently.

Be aware too, there’s an eBay seller that now lists one as a smic for a DSM, the inlet orientations are incorrect to be bolt on and based on the dimensions and the type that it is it wouldn’t be any more efficient than the stock one. It’s likely for a Volkswagen or something and the eBay seller did some googling and said “oh that looks right”.
i appreciate the help! i know the direct bolt-ons from Hahn are almost impossible to find but i'll keep my hopes up LOL, and thanks for the heads up on that eBay listing!

A MKIV Supra intercooler with the end tanks already flipped was listed here not too long ago at a fair price but I do believe it sold. Something a few guys used to do back in the day was get on the Supra forums and pretend to own a MKIV Supra and wait for one to pop up or post a WTB ad and find them pretty easily. I removed myself from Facebook but I have a feeling you might find one there at a decent price. Unless a Hahn unit pops up somewhere I’d say the MKIV Supra intercooler is your best bet if you’re set on staying side mount. Only reason I say it as I looked into it recently as I contemplated downsizing for a “stealth” look but decided against it. I will say though, if you’re on the t25 still those have a hard time heat soaking the stock intercooler.

A MKIV Supra intercooler with the end tanks already flipped was listed here not too long ago at a fair price but I do believe it sold. Something a few guys used to do back in the day was get on the Supra forums and pretend to own a MKIV Supra and wait for one to pop up or post a WTB ad and find them pretty easily. I removed myself from Facebook but I have a feeling you might find one there at a decent price. Unless a Hahn unit pops up somewhere I’d say the MKIV Supra intercooler is your best bet if you’re set on staying side mount. Only reason I say it as I looked into it recently as I contemplated downsizing for a “stealth” look but decided against it. I will say though, if you’re on the t25 still those have a hard time heat soaking the stock intercooler.
i plan on going to a small 16g and want to keep the car looking as stock as i reasonably can, but worst case i'll pull the trigger on a fmic. i found a really good custom side mount on marketplace but the guy sold it out from under me :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back