The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G shutting off problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin0092

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2012
barbourville, Kentucky
I just got my 98 eclipse gst . Im rather new to the dsm. My everyday drive car is a cobalt. Anyways. Its pushing about 10psi it runs great. But it will just shut off when i let off the gass. About 50% of the time. I think the motor needs idled up a little but idk? Any sugestions.?

Well the base idle should be 750 rpms +/-50. That's with no accessories on, so headlights, a/c, radiator fan, etc. is off.

You adjust the base idle using the base idle set screw (BISS), which is on the throttle body. But you'll need to make sure the ISC is setup properly before you go messing with the BISS.

When you say let off the gas, is this after a hard pull, warmed up or cold, when you push clutch in? A little more info might help us narrow things down.

When i just start it. It will set and idle sometimes and sometimes it will die. But in a hard pull it will die everytime as soon as i let off the gas it was a friend of mines that i bought about a week ago after he put a new turbo on it. I plan on taking it to a shop and having everything looked at and having any hoses ect that looks rough replaced

Well, it could be a number of things if you just got the car and aren't familiar with how everything is setup.

Could be a fuel issue, as in the fuel pump, regulator or filer are slightly gummed up. Plugs and wires should be checked and replaced if needed.

There could a boost leak somewhere in the intake system between the turbo and the throttle body. You'll need to do a boost leak test (BLT) to check for that. A BLT is basically pressurizing the intake system and listening and fixing the air leaks.

Does it have a lightened flywheel? That can cause the engine to be unable to maintain a momentum between shifts.

Make sure your bypass valve (BPV) is recirculated back into the intake.

I'm not sure how much you know about these cars, but if you want to throw up a picture of the engine bay and list the mods, that might help too.

It has a cold air intake , manual boost controler, fordged rotating asembly, full exhaust, front mount intercooler, big 16 g turbo 2 g swap kit.

It runs like a dream my first drive out i ended up runing a cobalt ss/sc left him and never had to get out of 2nd. And a mustang gt its a fast little car its not lacking on power

It has a small exhuast leak around the manifold tho

Attachments

• 2012-09-09_19-41-54_224.jpg
    2012-09-09_19-41-54_224.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2012-09-09_19-41-20_102.jpg
    2012-09-09_19-41-20_102.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2012-09-09_19-41-31_72.jpg
    2012-09-09_19-41-31_72.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 51
your throttle body is gummed up and your not getting enough air in motor . try turning your minimum airflow screw out a little . its located on the throttle body towards the front usually there is a rubber plug covering the screw .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back