The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Show me your interior!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowmanFD

Proven Member
Dec 11, 2021
North Seattle, Washington
I trying to get some ideas for gauge mounting, headunits, seats, switches, steering wheel, and anything else fun or creative in your interior.

Mainly looking for 1g's but 2g's are welcome

I don't have photos to post at present but the interior of my '92 Talon is in great shape given its age. I lost a floor mat along the way (forgot it in a DIY car wash bay years ago), and there are obviously some scratches here and there, none too bad, and it could use a little vacuuming and cleaning but otherwise it's fine.

The only real issue is a sagging headliner. Btw does anyone know if it can be reused if it's intact, which it is, and not torn, which it isn't? I'm not trying to save money, just worried about finding color-matching fabric on a 30 year old car long out of production. I have the red/maroon interior fabric. And what's the best adhesive? Is it still 3M Headliner adhesive, or is the orange Permatex good too?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
The comments say this is really a "burgundy" color but I don't have a red interior in a DSM to see if they are red or off red, like this. It also shows a can of Body Shop Heavy Duty Headliner Adhesive Permatex #27828. Just a quick search for red headliner material brought that link up.

I don't have photos to post at present but the interior of my '92 Talon is in great shape given its age. I lost a floor mat along the way (forgot it in a DIY car wash bay years ago), and there are obviously some scratches here and there, none too bad, and it could use a little vacuuming and cleaning but otherwise it's fine.

The only real issue is a sagging headliner. Btw does anyone know if it can be reused if it's intact, which it is, and not torn, which it isn't? I'm not trying to save money, just worried about finding color-matching fabric on a 30 year old car long out of production. I have the red/maroon interior fabric. And what's the best adhesive? Is it still 3M Headliner adhesive, or is the orange Permatex good too?
Yea it's saveable just need to reglue and make sure the foam is still in good shape. Use DAP brand contact cement to reglue it. I was going to buy the spray can stuff when I did mine in suede and an upholstery guy recommended against it as it doesn't last. They use contact cement for all theirs, it worked out really well.

Yea it's saveable just need to reglue and make sure the foam is still in good shape. Use DAP brand contact cement to reglue it. I was going to buy the spray can stuff when I did mine in suede and an upholstery guy recommended against it as it doesn't last. They use contact cement for all theirs, it worked out really well.
I'd like to know how? The foam on my 90 was gone more than 10 years ago. It looked ok until you touched it. Turned to dust. I scraped all of it off the backer board and got new headliner. The upholstery shop sold me material with the foam already attached. 3m glue and 20 min later and I was done. Was very easy.

The backing is always the culprit. It gets hot, crumbly and then the headliner sags more and more and MORE. That is why I was pointing at a new piece of fabric with the backing. :thumb:

When it's new/good, what it the foam attached to, the headliner or the fabric? The fabric on mine that's sagging is just fabric, no foam or backing. But the actual headliner still appears to have intact foam, but I'll check more carefully to make sure.

New, the foam is part of the headliner material. That is why Paul said he scraped all the old stuff off of the backing board, to get the dusty stuff off, and prep it for glue/new material.

No it is the fabric. The foam is part of it. The headliner is just a board that you adhere the fabric to.

So the headliner itself is what gets installed to the ceiling, and has no foam when new, and the headliner material is the fabric, and when new has foam on it? Just making sure I understand which is which as terms tend to be used interchangeably (Haynes actually does this which is annoying).

The foam on my 90 was gone more than 10 years ago. It looked ok until you touched it. Turned to dust. I scraped all of it off the backer board and got new headliner.
^This is the issue with all the older headliners. I’ve done 2 my 92 Dsm & 2000 jeep. The foam literally turns to dust and same goes for the visors.

I'd like to know how? The foam on my 90 was gone more than 10 years ago. It looked ok until you touched it. Turned to dust. I scraped all of it off the backer board and got new headliner. The upholstery shop sold me material with the foam already attached. 3m glue and 20 min later and I was done. Was very easy.
Sorry when I say foam I meant the actual headliner, not the foam on the fabric. Although both my 90 and 91 still had intact foam on the fabric.

Its a 2g but nothing I have is 2g specific with the exception of the air bag cover, everything else has a 1g version or is universal.

Single pod w/boost on the a pillar. Dual gauge on the vent with AFR/Oil pressure. Power run from accessory fuse box in center console..

So the headliner itself is what gets installed to the ceiling, and has no foam when new, and the headliner material is the fabric, and when new has foam on it? Just making sure I understand which is which as terms tend to be used interchangeably (Haynes actually does this which is annoying).
Yes exactly this. Even when the fabric isn't sagging all of them I see this age you can push your finger into it and leave a dimple. It's because the foam is essentially gone. You can peel it off with the whole headliner board out of the car and scrape the dead foam off with a brush in a matter of minutes. Board will then be clean enough to attach new headliner material. It's cheap too. Or at least it was. I haven't done one in more than a decade.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back